Do I need a helmet for Sherwood Pines?

13»

Comments

• dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    my mate hit a kamikaze rabbit whilst doing about 25mph he probably wouldnt be here if it wasnt for his lid, saying that it did end up in 2 pieces and he was out cold for about 10 mins if you have one wear it if you haven`t got one buy one
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited July 2010
    A helmet will never hurt you more, a helmet can mean you'll hurt less, although I've never yet come off and bashed my head (when younger when helmets were unheard of) or helmet, there have been times when it was obvous that it was only a small amount of luck that meant I hadn't, I always wear a helmet and insist on the daughters and wife wearing theirs.

Personally I think people who undertake risky acticities without taking reasonable precautions shouldn't benefit from free NHS treatment
    Fair enough. However, cycling sports aside, there is no way cycling is a risky activity.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Daz555 wrote:
    A helmet will never hurt you more, a helmet can mean you'll hurt less, although I've never yet come off and bashed my head (when younger when helmets were unheard of) or helmet, there have been times when it was obvous that it was only a small amount of luck that meant I hadn't, I always wear a helmet and insist on the daughters and wife wearing theirs.

Personally I think people who undertake risky acticities without taking reasonable precautions shouldn't benefit from free NHS treatment
    Fair enough. But is cycling a risky activity? I'd say not (cycling sports aside).

For my two penneth I own 3 helmets - bike, snow, cycle. I wear my bike helmet all the time and the other two when I want/feel the need to.

You must get some unusually heavy snowflakes where you live ;-)
  • Daz555
    rhext wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

Fair enough. But is cycling a risky activity? I'd say not (cycling sports aside).

For my two penneth I own 3 helmets - bike, snow, cycle. I wear my bike helmet all the time and the other two when I want/feel the need to.

You must get some unusually heavy snowflakes where you live ;-)
    lol. Ya got me.
  • Daz555
    ade73 wrote:
    my brother told me yes its the law for everyone to wear a helmet in ireland so i had to go and buy a helmet
    Since when? I can barely ever recall seeing a cyclist in Ireland wearing a lid but I haven't been for a couple of years now.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Daz555 wrote:
    However, cycling sports aside, there is no way cycling is a risky activity.

Depends what you mean by risk. Health benefits probably offset the risk of damage/death but mtbers do mash themselves up to some extent pretty much constantly. Take any decent sized group of mtbers and count the broken bones, it'll almost certainly be higher than the general population. Therefore, clearly risky.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I see guys on tech terrain without helmets, their choice, I am told by riders I talk to from Nottingham that Pines is flat as a pancake.

Risk assess youselves, no need to ask forums.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    IMHO helmets should be worn for anything and everything, even just a little ride through the park.

Iv never written a helmet off riding a trail, no matter how gnarly, but I did absolutely obliterate a helmet on a dead smooth, totally deserted sea front cycle path, i was just being stupid and fell over for almost no reason, completely hammered it.

Basicly Helmets are not compulsory, and im not sure what Sherwood pines is like, but to me hlemets are not just a good idea, but a pretty darn important accessory for any cycling, iv seen what can happen when you dont wear one, a loverly afternoon in the local woods turned into hours in waiting rooms, a ride in an ambulance and my mate having 8 stitches in his head.

Not cool.

Also, its a no brainer if your riding with a Kid, they need the example, if you dont wear one, they wont.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'm guessing with this thread being started over a week ago the OP has either been and come back or done himself an injury and now has to be fed every day by a nurse
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    I'm guessing with this thread being started over a week ago the OP has either been and come back or done himself an injury and now has to be fed every day by a nurse

Think the OP has replied and seems that he had actually made up his mind before he posted, something to do with attention maybe.

It's like this if you don't mind risking getting brain damage don't wear a helmet, if you value your brain and the ability to live life as an independant, wear one.

Nobody ever looks cool on a bike, fact.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    in regard to looking cool, I always think in context you can.

If you were wearing a lid to walk round the shops, you'd look like a tool, on a bike it's on context with what you're doing so can look cool.

Just like when I rode motorbikes, if I was riding my bikes wearing leather trousers was ok, if I wasn't riding my bike it was all a bit Peter André
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • there is a lot of research to indicate that a helmet can help to contribute to an accident.. (increased sense of security) im not saying theres any logic in not wearing one but, if i wear a lid i ride alot faster than without...been biking 18 years with no lid (shoot me!!) i only wear one if im doing cody brenin or something...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    there is a lot of research to indicate that a helmet can help to contribute to an accident.. (increased sense of security)

I can't find the link but there was a US army study in vietnam that showed a pretty strong link between being issued with the larger, more protective infantry helmet they had at the time, and getting shot in the head. Troops with the less confidence inspiring helmet kept their heads down better. Any number of other comparable studies of course.

BUT! These are volume studies, you can't apply them to an individual effectively. Across a large enough sample, you'll most likely find that helmeted riders are more prone to overconfidence crashes, but that doesn't mean you as a helmeted rider are more prone to an overconfidence crash.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    Freedom of choice is important to me and whilst I appreciate advice on any subject the final decision is mine. Likewise I respect other people's decisions to do what they want with their lives.

BUT with one important proviso. And that is: how their actions affect other people.

In this example the OP says he has a family. What right has he to take risks with their future? His job is to provide for and nurture his family and bring his kids safely to maturity. How can he do that if he can't work and has to be cared for 24/7? What right has he to risk inflicting that awful situation on his wife and kids? It's totally selfish and his responsibility is to look after himself first so that he can look after them. Opting out of responsibility is no longer an option.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    I think the OP may have got fed up reading how shite a parent he is based solely on his reluctance to wear a helmet.

I must call my own dad and remind him what a f*cker he was for not be a paragon of good parenting like some people on here. I distinctly recall him eating unhealthy food and drinking whiskey, the b*stard.
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    It's OK he doesn't need a helmet to eat unhealthy food and drink whisky. So you probably turned out OK.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    Not bad, apart from the high cholesterol and delirium tremens.