2»

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    :lol::lol:

There are hills? In London?

I'll meet you at the top of W Heath Rd tomorrow and you can tell me. Luckily that's one of the easier ways up that hill.

By train? Yep, I'd say that's pretty easy... :P

Nearest train is Hampstead underground station (and even that is qutie a bit down from the top)... all overground stations are at the bottom of the hill in either direction.

Finchley Road's the closest station for bishops ave...
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056

And a direct line from there to Bishops Av is over Hampstead Hill. I'm just warning you that a big ratio FG might be a bad option.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    this is a more straight forward route, its mainly down the uxbridge road

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 1&t=h&z=11

11.3miles, which for you will not be very difficult.

At that time in the morning I think it will be a bit awkward getting a bike on a train, they will be packed, you may find you need to change trains, I know that from Shepherds bush northwards you got to change at willesden junction.
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    :lol::lol:

There are hills? In London?

Some of the hills in hampstead are so steep that you have to lean so far over your bars to stop your front wheel rising that your back wheel doesn't have enough traction to go up the hill.

I did the the hanger lane gyratory the other day on my bike, managed to keep up with the traffic though. I the rode up past Ace Café (with accompanying snarls) and rejoined north circ just before Ikea and rode round to Staples corner. Not a very pleasant experience, but it was bladdy fast.

To get to Hampstead it's possible to do the canal from Horsenden Hill to Primrose Hill and then head north from there (Camden basically), not ideal on skinny tyres though!

If I wanted to get to Hampstead though I'd go Uxbridge road, Paddington, Marylebone Road, Regents Park, Camden, Hampstead.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564

East Finchley tube is good for one end of it too.

People coming out of Bishops Avenue without looking are my most frequent near miss.
  • lost_in_thought
    Oddjob62 wrote:

And a direct line from there to Bishops Av is over Hampstead Hill. I'm just warning you that a big ratio FG might be a bad option.

But I don't have anything else... :(
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ignore these haters, there isnt a hill in hampstead that i havent got over on my big ratio FG. with pain, suffering and swearing granted, but got over nonetheless.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    spasypaddy wrote:
    ignore these haters, there isnt a hill in hampstead that i havent got over on my big ratio FG. with pain, suffering and swearing granted, but got over nonetheless.

I'm not a hater... i climb up hampstead hill at least once a day. Love it.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/ealin ... 2666151124

8.62 miles

Used to be my old commute , crossing the A40 is the worst bit , the rest is ok . Not too hilly and the easiest way to get to Hampstead on a FG/SS.

BTW I use the overground from time to time and see bikes on all sections at all times , it might be easier getting off at Gospel Oak if you take your bike.

Have fun

:D
  • Hoopz
    Hoopz Posts: 4
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/ealing/369127982666151124

8.62 miles

Used to be my old commute , crossing the A40 is the worst bit , the rest is ok . Not too hilly and the easiest way to get to Hampstead on a FG/SS.

BTW I use the overground from time to time and see bikes on all sections at all times , it might be easier getting off at Gospel Oak if you take your bike.

Have fun

Good route. I use it 2/3 times a week.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think I saw LiT at 7:55 this morning.
    Helmetless lady on an orange SS with a black basket waiting at the junction of Uxbridge Road and the North Circ.

I was WVM this morning so didn't think I was worthy of saying hello to a velo vixen.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • lost_in_thought
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I think I saw LiT at 7:55 this morning.
    Helmetless lady on an orange SS with a black basket waiting at the junction of Uxbridge Road and the North Circ.

I was WVM this morning so didn't think I was worthy of saying hello to a velo vixen.

Yep, that sounds like it may have been me. I believe I was blowing my nose! :D

Vixen? You're too kind.... :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    Hoopz wrote:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/ealing/369127982666151124

8.62 miles

Have fun

Good route. I use it 2/3 times a week.

Bah, that looks quite good... If only I'd seen it while I was at work i could have printed it out.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yes, you were mining nose gold at the time.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • lost_in_thought
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i thought you were getting the train :?

I did in the end. I considered that route, but had no way to print the map out, and no garmin. I do rather wish I'd taken the bike with me on the train, though, I had a bit of a 'mare with the overground/underground, and there was heaps of space on the train.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ah ok, i didnt ride in today either but thats because im going to get very drunk tonight