takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Repos de Sean Kelly

24zy895.jpg
http://twitgoo.com/19pcfk

Comments

• Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Wonder who will come through the rest day in better condition for tomorrow. Menchov struggled the day after the first one and said afterwards that he never reacts well to them.

Contador and Schleck tend to recover quite nicely don't they? Anyone know who's particularly good or bad after rest days?

Also, does anyone know why Menchov was so bad in the prologue? I know he's never been great at them, but almost a minute behind cancellara is pretty disgraceful.

Checked the Dauphine 2010 results when he finished in a decent 5th in the long TT and wasn't great in the prologue (35th, 24 secs behind the winner), but certainly did a lot better than in the tour prologue.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Contador and Schleck tend to recover quite nicely don't they? Anyone know who's particularly good or bad after rest days?

Also, does anyone know why Menchov was so bad in the prologue? I know he's never been great at them, but almost a minute behind cancellara is pretty disgraceful.

I know Boogerd always did badly after rest days.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Some Rest day pics

Riis looks.. Lost?

41fcc79f9c88722e2a95fe5f5bc4fa6f-getty-cycling_fra-tdf-2010-training-riis.jpg

df3d4101008422391da86a32c9c02c31-getty-cycling_fra-tdf-2010-training-contador-fan.jpg

Shleck keeping the speed in his legs

d1515ba4d2eae25b3a7d6c6d582a3243-getty-cycling_fra-tdf-2010-training-schleck.jpg

The hog checking for Feds/Interpol before LA comes out

30306331f2b31d1d8a564a745595d7a4-getty-cycling_fra-tdf-2010-training-bruyneel.jpg

891da3665a8b632227c1835d55abe51c-getty-cycling_fra-tdf-2010-armstrong-training.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bit of a stupid place to have a rest day, innit? 4 days before the race ends. I'm sure the peloton would rather just get on with it.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    all out on the tourmalet is the plan...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Doobz
    haha afx your right but I want to see them fresh tomorrow rather then another snoozefst like previous days.. 4 Mountain stages in a row would have just been too epic.

on another note.. Hopefully a few will have topped up with some fresh blood so things will be a bit more exiting tomorrow!!
    cartoon.jpg
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Doobz, are you FF in disguise? The photos, the Astana fanboyism... it's uncanny. :wink:
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Doobz
    AidanR wrote:
    Doobz, are you FF in disguise? The photos, the Astana fanboyism... it's uncanny. :wink:

negative
    cartoon.jpg
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136

Rain. When Menchov rode the course, the streets were still wet and he decided not to take any chances. Cancellara rode on a mostly dry surface.

Comparing his time with Cancellara's is pretty useless. Menchov is racing for the GC, his best performing competitor was Contador (29" ahead).
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited July 2010
    Contador risks being one of very few Tour winners to not win a stage. So he might be pushing it HARD tomoro to win. And then there's the final TT. He'll have no chance in the other 2 stages....

Tour winners who did not win a stage that year:

Firmin Lambot 1922
    Roger Walkowiak 1956
    Gastone Nencini 1960
    Lucien Aimar 1966
    Greg LeMond 1990
    Óscar Pereiro 2006 (After Landis was DQ'd)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Doobz wrote:
    Hopefully a few will have topped up with some fresh blood so things will be a bit more exiting tomorrow!!
    Fresh blood? Nah, that's passé

JW-BEET25_2.jpg
    Unfortunately, pretty detectable in a urine test. :cry:
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    afx237vi wrote:
    Bit of a stupid place to have a rest day, innit? 4 days before the race ends. I'm sure the peloton would rather just get on with it.
    I thought the same, why not split the 4 mountain stages 2 either side of the bresk. Yesterday's stage was perhaps a day too far without a break...?
    Half man, Half bike
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Pokerface wrote:
    Contador risks being one of very few Tour winners to not win a stage. So he might be pushing it HARD tomoro to win. And then there's the final TT. He'll have no chance in the other 2 stages....

Firmin Lambot 1922
    Roger Walkowiak 1956
    Gastone Nencini 1960
    Lucien Aimar 1966
    Greg LeMond 1990

He didn't win a stage in the Giro 2008 too, the legacy's not exactly writing itself, especially with the debacle that was Monday.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pokerface wrote:

Firmin Lambot 1922
    Roger Walkowiak 1956
    Gastone Nencini 1960
    Lucien Aimar 1966
    Greg LeMond 1990

He didn't win a stage in the Giro 2008 too, the legacy's not exactly writing itself, especially with the debacle that was Monday.

True Champion™ :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    Could win the TT.

Can't see why not.

Canc seems to be on his knees.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Or chilling, and excused domestique duty, ready for the TT...
  • rick_chasey
    Or chilling, and excused domestique duty, ready for the TT...

Given the profile of the previous days...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Don't see the problem with no winning a stage myself, Lemond did it. 2008 Giro was so weird, he was on the beach the week before!!!

I don't think he will win the TT, too flat and Chinny, Brajkovic and the lot must have been taking easy through the mountains, and it is too flat at the end of the day.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I believe it's chucking it down now, and forecast to be wet tomorrow.

First Russian winner of the Tour coming up! :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Don't see the problem with no winning a stage myself, Lemond did it. 2008 Giro was so weird, he was on the beach the week before!!!

I don't think he will win the TT, too flat and Chinny, Brajkovic and the lot must have been taking easy through the mountains, and it is too flat at the end of the day.

+1 and too flat and too many others targeting the stage. If this was''t the third week of a GT I think he would struggle to get top five in a pan flat 50K TT
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    Pokerface wrote:

Firmin Lambot 1922
    Roger Walkowiak 1956
    Gastone Nencini 1960
    Lucien Aimar 1966
    Greg LeMond 1990

winner Contador - no stage wins and Green Thor H - no stage wins - then there must be something wrong with the points and rating system
  • iainf72
    Mad Roadie wrote:

winner Contador - no stage wins and Green Thor H - no stage wins - then there must be something wrong with the points and rating system

You mean aside from the epic stage over the cobbles? Or does that not count because Cavendish didn't win it?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    iainf72 wrote:

He will probably fall off, good old Menchov, he doesn't like white lines, does he?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Doobz
    gabriel959 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

He will probably fall off, good old Menchov, he doesn't like white lines, does he?

Not as much as Tom Boonen :shock:
    cartoon.jpg
  • Abdoujaparov
    iainf72 wrote:
    Mad Roadie wrote:

You mean aside from the epic stage over the cobbles? Or does that not count because Cavendish didn't win it?

Yep, bit of an oversight, but there's a serious point there. I imagine this has been discussed plenty of times on this forum, but is it a notable achievement to finish 21st in a sprint? I know the green jersey is not 'the sprinters jersey', but surely the points system should be tweaked to provider greater reward to those that do something remarkable (like win a stage!).

Intermediate sprints certainly have their place and should be rewarded (possibly even more than now), but finishing 25th in a bunch gallop? FFS
  • iainf72

I know the green jersey is not 'the sprinters jersey', but surely the points system should be tweaked to provider greater reward to those that do something remarkable (like win a stage!).

Is winning a stage not enough of a reward? If they're trying to reward consistency then you can't have a situation where 1 first place is worth more than 3 second or third places. Otherwise you may as well just award the green jersey based on great number of stage wins.

I think they should add in mountain primes too, just to make it even more challenging to win :wink:
  • Doobz
    iainf72 wrote:

I know the green jersey is not 'the sprinters jersey', but surely the points system should be tweaked to provider greater reward to those that do something remarkable (like win a stage!).

Is winning a stage not enough of a reward? If they're trying to reward consistency then you can't have a situation where 1 first place is worth more than 3 second or third places. Otherwise you may as well just award the green jersey based on great number of stage wins.

I think they should add in mountain primes too, just to make it even more challenging to win :wink:

The Giro had primes didn't it? I know they weren't for points but something to do with prizes from the TV broadcaster iirc
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

But at the moment you get as many points for coming 8th and 9th on two stages as you do for winning one and a nowhere (e.g. crashing, puncturing). The points system rewards cautious, no risk sprinting. In essence it's a prize for staying out of trouble. The 'no bad luck prize' if you will
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Abdoujaparov
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

But at the moment you get as many points for coming 8th and 9th on two stages as you do for winning one and a nowhere (e.g. crashing, puncturing). The points system rewards cautious, no risk sprinting. In essence it's a prize for staying out of trouble. The 'no bad luck prize' if you will

Yep, I'm not saying that consistency shouldn't be a very important of the competition, but at the moment it rewards people who are consistently alright rather than (slightly less) consistently excellent.

No need for a major overhaul, but I’d argue that the points should be distributed a little differently and you shouldn’t get sh*t for finishing 20th.
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:

Perfect for the Tour then, the home of no risks, defend that 8'th place and you'll have a good contract next year "racing".