Cycling near Albufeira

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited August 2010 in Training, fitness and health
I might have the chance to stay in a villa in Albufeira in September. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of riding around there - is it good for training? Any decent long climbs? What are the roads like?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    I assume you're talking about Albufeira in Portugal? If that's the case, it's pretty flat. The roads are fine. There's tons of tourists during the summer though so there's lots of cars. No decent climbs unless you plan on riding quite a bit (to the zone around Monchique), and even then it's not really a hard climb in my opinion.
  • nickd01
    nickd01 Posts: 66
    We've got a property in Loule, just north of Faro, and it you head north from there then there's some nice rolling roads with considerate drivers. I did a week of training there before the Marmotte, and it did me a world of good.

Still, there's definately no "mountains" but more rolling roads.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Lighting strikes a bit away from the point DaveyL your going in September (not busy) the roads are only flat near the coast and most of the traffic takes the A22 Motorway (no bikes) or the old N125 which has wide hard shoulders to separate bikes from vehicles. The main road up to Monchique (266) isn't very steep granted but it is long and there is another section to the Foia at an average of 7% 6km long and finishing at 902m above sea level.
    There is a fantastic variety of roads inland from Albufeira and some hard climbs if wanted along with flat sections all together very varied, that's why the Pro Tour teams have training camps there. Along with the weather and food, it's great.
    I have been cycling there a lot for quite a few years now, it's the best winter venue in Europe for cyclists, here's a link to a website you might find interesting, lt's no bull......

http://www.burgauvilladosol.com/

My wife and I will be there for three weeks again in October.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Thanks for the info, all!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I went there, I stayed in Albufeira, it's awesome place and I'd love to go back some day, we went up Monchique there is some amazing views up there, I never was into road cycling then that was back in 2007, but there is some proper nice roads if you rent a car and travel abit.