Insults from passing drivers

13»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rjsterry wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    It's media contrived hatred, Clarkeson being the biggest culprit.

It's a war out there, react accordingly.

The blessed irony of this post and your sig is fantastic. Its the media's fault that people are cocks. Right, I'll buy that. You think it is a war out there - and you have in your sig a thing for Call of Duty?! Awesome. Its not a war out there. Its people being inconsiderate dicks and there are cyclists/pedestrians/scooterists/motorcylists/car/van/bus/taxi drivers all at it.

Live your life how you believe it should be led, not how other people lead theirs.

Indeed, I think there might be a few chaps in Helmand who might take issue with AndyManc's description of cycling in Manchester.

I believe it all started when Osama cut up Dubya when Georgy was commuting into the White House.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cee wrote:
    Some people scream victim etc? hmm..not sure i like where that line of thinking logically goes....i genuinely don't think people 'are asking for it'....if you know what i mean..don't get me wrong..i am sure some folks ride into things where they know they are technically in the right, but it might have been nice to let that car into the gap etc....I'm failry certain I have been guilty of this myself at times...

It does seem to be quite random, that some folks get significantly more abuse than others...

In the same way certain people get picked on at school, it's not their fault, there's just something that's like a red rag to a bully/w@nker if you know what I mean..

location was more aimed at small town mentality... london for example is so multicultural it's much more open but small towns with pond scum thinking they're a big fish you'd be more likely to get grief?

just throwing ideas out there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Being at school is a bit different from being passed by a car, to some people anyone on a bike is fair game.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Clever Pun wrote:

In the same way certain people get picked on at school, it's not their fault, there's just something that's like a red rag to a bully/w@nker if you know what I mean..

location was more aimed at small town mentality... london for example is so multicultural it's much more open but small towns with pond scum thinking they're a big fish you'd be more likely to get grief?

just throwing ideas out there

gotcha.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I've had a few incidents of having verbal shouted out me. I haven't had the "your wheels going round" but did get "you have a flat tyre" once which was a remarkable observation given that I'm on a skinny tyred road bike and it was dark :-D

Worst incident was one that probably empathized the fact that behaviour has to be learnt somewhere higher up the "food chain" and was from a young child who was either approaching or in early teens who gave me the finger and a bunch of verbal when I was out on a Sunday ride once on a fairly decent sized road. Shame the tw4t and his spawn wheren't going the other way as I'm sure the riders on the orgainised ride would have had stronger words with him.

As with someone else's experience I did try to chase them down but lost them at a r/b.

Having said all this tho I had ginger hair at school and being in all the top classes meant I was usually a target of some pi$$taking and bullying, I was saved a bit towards the end of primary school and someway through high-school due to a good athletic ability and generally being rather popular but still learned to develop a thick skin to stupid insults, I only tended to retaliate to physical bullying and even then it would take a while before I snapped.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Sounds familiar BJUK. I've often wondered whether a little 'light' bullying - mickey-taking is probably a better description - actually helps develop the character. Like a kind of vaccine against halfwits.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Isn`t it usually the bully that`s the half-wit?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Today I got "Go Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins! Cavendish CAVENDISH!!!!!!" I was riding at recovery pace eating a banana and they were hanging out of the window going mental. :?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Bhima wrote:
    Today I got "Go Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins! Cavendish CAVENDISH!!!!!!" I was riding at recovery pace eating a banana and they were hanging out of the window going mental. :?

:lol::lol:

Ah bless. They're sweet really.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    antfly wrote:
    Isn`t it usually the bully that`s the half-wit?

Yes, that was my point. I realised fairly early on in life that reacting to the kind playground stuff that these halfwits shout is just not worth the effort. It's not as though your going to be able to argue them round is it?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    I`ve had a few cars beep the horn at me over the years for no reason other than they think its funny. Had a couple of cars try and throw some water at me too, one very nearly ran into another car on the roundabout after doing so. I got the numberplate of the car but if I told the police they would`nt want to know, it was the passenger after all not the driver.
    I have a friend who had a bottle thrown at him once, it missed luckily. I`ve also got at least two friends who have been knocked off. One was by a bendi-bus, it just got settled out of court after five years, he won`t say how much he got but I think its a few thousand pounds

I would`nt recommend listening to music/radio etc whilst riding. I like to know when there is a car approaching. I don`t commute to work, it would`nt be practical but I have when I lived closer. I favour the longer, scenic route which is quieter and safer over the shorter route. I always avoid main roads where possible and I`ll ride on the pavement if its a busy road. If pedestrians don`t like it tough %hit, I`m not getting taken out by a truck because the driver is on his mobile

Cyclists are an easy target because ppl can shout and throw stuff and they know we won`t be able to catch them up. By far the worst ppl for me are the ones that overtake you and give you hardly any room even though there is`nt another car coming the other direction. You know I`m a cyclist because when I`m out in my car or van I always give other cyclists LOADS of room and indicate
  • Even when I wasn't half-deaf, the out-loud musings of Vauxhall Corsa drivers, "vintage" Audi pilots and albino pantechnicon entrepreneurs etc generally flew straight past me to be lost in the ether. Oh the blessings of progressive age-related deafness. They'll never know it's all wasted on me.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Had a half-eaten kebab (I think) thrown at me once just as the pubs kicked out. Other than that I seem to have been random insult free.

Directed insults are a different matter though. Informing drivers of their rubbish driving isn't usually received with gratitude.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I did have someone shout 'Oi mate you're wheels going round' the other day - my reply 'So's your mother' left him blinking and his mates in fits - have to say it wasn't my original reply I picked it up off this forum :shock:
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    mroli wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    It's media contrived hatred, Clarkeson being the biggest culprit.

It's a war out there, react accordingly.

The blessed irony of this post and your sig is fantastic. Its the media's fault that people are cocks. Right, I'll buy that. You think it is a war out there - and you have in your sig a thing for Call of Duty?! Awesome. Its not a war out there. Its people being inconsiderate dicks and there are cyclists/pedestrians/scooterists/motorcylists/car/van/bus/taxi drivers all at it.

Live your life how you believe it should be led, not how other people lead theirs.

If you want to choose selective quotes to prove a benign point then go ahead.

If you want to prove your crass ignorance as to the effects that media has over social behaviour be my guest.

Oh , you already have done .

Patronising c***.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    dhope wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    I think the word he needs to consider is 'chillax'

Andy: accept it, drivers are muppets, move on deal with it.

Did you actually say "move on deal with it" ?

Which is it .....

I'll tell you what that phrase means, it's a mind numbing Americanism that means **** all and has no place in English vocabulary.

I bet, to top it off, you've got an upward inflection as well .

Do you want fish with that chip on your shoulder?

Do you want to explain the gibberish you've just come out with .

Just because I , like millions of others, despise the crass, meaningless shite americanisms used by the x-factor generation doesn't mean I have a chip on my shoulder.

or , something you might understand .

WHATEVER

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    AndyManc wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    I think the word he needs to consider is 'chillax'

Andy: accept it, drivers are muppets, move on deal with it.

Did you actually say "move on deal with it" ?

Which is it .....

I'll tell you what that phrase means, it's a mind numbing Americanism that means **** all and has no place in English vocabulary.

I bet, to top it off, you've got an upward inflection as well .

Do you want fish with that chip on your shoulder?

Do you want to explain the gibberish you've just come out with .

Just because I , like millions of others, despise the crass, meaningless shite americanisms used by the x-factor generation doesn't mean I have a chip on my shoulder.

or , something you might understand .

WHATEVER

It is possible to argue with someone without resorting to personal insults you know.

What is the x-factor generation ? I think you'll find its the x-factor class rather than the x-factor generation.

Maybe you should change your signature to 'Angry of Manchester'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It can also work both ways.

Last summer I was filtering up the inside of traffic past the McDonald's between Croydon and Steatham. There was a builders Transit van with the passengers feet stuck out the near side window. No boots, just socks.

As I rode past I tickled his feet (not the sort of thing I'd normally do, it was a spur-of-the-moment thing.), never seen feet move so fast but as I looked back they were pissing themselves laughing.

It is a war zone out there. I think I reacted accordingly. ;)
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    2.5 years of commuting and never seen "the war zone". Worst I've had was a WVM screen up to me at Lambeth RB, followed by a big bang from the left side of his van as the cyclist who had been following me took off his side mirror. WVM started ranting "did you see what your f**ing mate did to my van! Feeing cyclist t**ts". I stared at him and replied "I think he took exception to you cutting me up and almost knocking me off. Enjoy the traffic you t**t". Not the most imaiginative reply but my "mate" had already done the talking for me ;)

Apart from that London's been pretty (thankfully) boring
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    AndyManc wrote:

Fine, I'll bite.

No, you're right, just because you despise yada yada yada doesn't mean you have a chip. Because every single post of yours is a monotonous, repetitive rant based on little but some bizarre feeling of injustice and littered with petty insults; that's what means your shoulders are more potato than peon.

Do you read Charlie Brooker's articles at all? Latest one, first few paragraphs.
    Ring any bells?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Andy - I think you really do need to calm down a bit, I suppose whilst your riding around in "the war on the streets" you magically ignore all the decent drivers that choose not to shout at you? I also think d-locking some guys windows (assuming you would go through with it.....) just because he was trying to make himself look good to his stupid friends is really proportional? I'm sure the police would love that "yeah officer he threw a apple at me so I smashed his car up"

Maybe it's the area you ride in that attracts the sort of people that enjoy winding people up? I know from when I'm driving that I usually despise driving around my local area as the people around here struggle to see past the end of their bonnet or think about anyone asides from there self - a point I've seen being made painfully evident as we have temporary lights for roadworks on the main road that my road meets. Do you think any of the drivers have the common sense of courtesy to leave the end of the road clear when it's red for them? Do they heck which just causes more traffic and delays as cars coming down the road have to wait for the lights to change to turn into our road and cars coming out of the road need to wait even longer to get out......

Why don't you go back to the "war on the computer" and work out your aggression there.

@Jay DubbleU - :lol: that is a GREAT comeback........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Bassjunkieuk
    dhope wrote:
    Do you read Charlie Brooker's articles at all? Latest one, first few paragraphs.
    Ring any bells?

:lol: Gonne finish reading that later......should provide a few laughs from the tiny bit i've just read :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,185
    I think most people who read Mr Manc's little rants know what to make of them by now, they do follow a very predictable pattern. Unfortunately he seems to have learned nothing from the last time he made a prize t1t of himself on here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12713007&highlight=
    :lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]