Insults from passing drivers

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Just been out for an hour's spin, quiet country roads, not much traffic got one passing motorist shout to startle me as he went by, and a few minutes later another shouted 'prick'. They were going the other way so I wasn't 'in the way', I was wearing normal clothes (no lycra), on a hybrid bike, lights on, so nothing to object to, just guess they thought it was funny.

Anyone else get this? (This is in Surrey btw, nowhere too chavvy.)

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    all the time, reason why i have music on, quiet enough so can hear the roads but load enough to make insults sound like a muffle as not to offend or annoy me
  • thelawnet
    I was actually thinking a radio would be nice, but w/o headphones :)
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I once got called an English c**** by someone passing in a car whilst walking up a street in London.

I was once told 'get a white girl, they're better' whilst standing on a traffic island waiting to cross with a black, female friend as a car sped past.

Point being there are idiots in cars who like to shout stupid stuff for no apparent reason (other than to make their fellow passengers laugh) so don't think that the fact you happened to be on a bike at the time was necessarily relevant.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Had "Get something proper that's powered by petrol" the other day.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It happens occasionally, just ignore it completely and disdainfully, they like nothing better than getting a rise out of you.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's amazing how brave people suddenly become when they're in something a lot quicker than you and moving away.

No way the cowards would say anything if they were stood in the same que as you in a bank or super market.

There just idiots trying to impress their mates, don't take it personally.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    RichardSwt wrote:
    It's amazing how brave people suddenly become when they're in something a lot quicker than you and moving away.

Well, until they realise that they're not actually quicker than a cycle when they hit the back of the next traffic queue...
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    It's media contrived hatred, Clarkeson being the biggest culprit.

It just shows the pathetic neanderthal mentality of the scum in this country.

I rarely get it, though cycling to work last Saturday just before 7am this c*** in a passenger seat threw an apple at me, it just missed and went between the wheels.

I cycled like mad to catch him up at the next round-a-bout, I was 10 metres behind him before they sped off .

I would have ripped his f******** head off.

It's a war out there, react accordingly.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Someone throwing an apple at you is stupid, even dangerous, but it is not war. Your hatred might not be media contrived, but it's just as unpleasant. Why not rise above it rather than sinking to their level?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • AndyManc
    rjsterry wrote:
    Someone throwing an apple at you is stupid, even dangerous, but it is not war. Your hatred might not be media contrived, but it's just as unpleasant. Why not rise above it rather than sinking to their level?

It's not sinking to their level, it's a reaction to intimidation, if I had caught up with him, my u-lock would have gone through every window in his car.

I consider cyclists fight, and it is a fight, against bigotry, hatred, verbal and physical attacks on our roads to be a war, simple as that.

Any fight from a minority group has always had two factions, those that choose to do nothing and hope things will change, and those that force change by whatever means ...... take your pick.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    :lol::lol::lol:

Andy, are you actually serious? Or are you messing about?

You sound like wiley coyote or something.

If you are serious, just relax, they're muppets, probably mean nothing by it, just showing off for their mates. Don't stoop to their level!

And maybe some anger management... :shock:
  • thelawnet
    pastryboy wrote:
    I once got called an English c**** by someone passing in a car whilst walking up a street in London.

I was once told 'get a white girl, they're better' whilst standing on a traffic island waiting to cross with a black, female friend as a car sped past.

Point being there are idiots in cars who like to shout stupid stuff for no apparent reason (other than to make their fellow passengers laugh) so don't think that the fact you happened to be on a bike at the time was necessarily relevant.

The only incidents I can recall during many miles of being a pedestrian have been when I've done something to annoy the driver. And they've been few and far between - years between.

Whereas on a bike you get some nonsense from someone several times per month (or week even).
  • AndyManc
    thelawnet wrote:

Whereas on a bike you get some nonsense from someone several times per month (or week even).

And why is that so ?

Where does that mindset originate ?

URBAN_MANC.png
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    :lol::lol::lol:

Andy, are you actually serious? Or are you messing about?

You sound like wiley coyote or something.

If you are serious, just relax, they're muppets, probably mean nothing by it, just showing off for their mates. Don't stoop to their level!

And maybe some anger management... :shock:

I think the word he needs to consider is 'chillax'

Andy: accept it, drivers are muppets, move on deal with it.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • AndyManc
    NGale wrote:

Did you actually say "move on deal with it" ?

Which is it .....

I'll tell you what that phrase means, it's a mind numbing Americanism that means **** all and has no place in English vocabulary.

I bet, to top it off, you've got an upward inflection as well .

URBAN_MANC.png
  • thelawnet
    AndyManc wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:

And why is that so ?

Where does that mindset originate ?.

Well drivers don't really like having to share the road. I think it's the disproportionated speed and power of a car that makes a bicycle seem like a gnat on the road, a source of annoyance.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    thelawnet wrote:
    Come cycle in Scotland then. No war going on here (and yes we do get Top Gear).
  • AndyManc
    thelawnet wrote:

Well drivers don't really like having to share the road. I think it's the disproportionated speed and power of a car that makes a bicycle seem like a gnat on the road, a source of annoyance.

And, the same mindset from pedestrians (inc. kids) that believe they have the right to shout abuse, throw missiles, threaten ?

This attitude must have originated from somewhere.

TV isn't the main source, though it did play a massive part in the ridicule and abuse of ethnic minorities, homosexuals and other groups.

Find the cause and you'll find the cure.

URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    suzyb wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    Come cycle in Scotland then. No war going on here (and yes we do get Top Gear).

I think MagnaTom might disagree with you there !!!

URBAN_MANC.png
  • suzyb
    AndyManc wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    Come cycle in semi-ruScotland then. No war going on here (and yes we do get Top Gear).

I think MagnaTom might disagree with you there !!!

Come cycle in ruralish Scotland then. No war going on here (and yes we do get Top Gear).

Better?

btw what's the reason for the full stops at the bottom of your posts.
  • AndyManc
    suzyb wrote:

It gives some space between my post and my 'signature' (graphics) , making it easier to read.
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • suzyb
    AndyManc wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

It gives some space between my post and my 'signature' (graphics) , making it easier to read.
    Ahhh
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    AndyManc wrote:

You are right.

Oh wait a minute. no you are not.

Have you been playing too many violent computer games?
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    No one has shouted at me on the bike....yet...

But I have been shouted at loads of times when I'm walking my dog. Generally by builders mates in white vans who just bellow a noise or bark as they go past. I think it's because they have seen a bitch.

I can't wait for the opportunity that will eventually come where they get stuck in traffic and end up with a bag full of dog sh*t smeared on their windscreen.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    WesternWay wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:

You are right.

Oh wait a minute. no you are not.

Have you been playing too many violent computer games?

:lol:

To the OP don't take is personally, its seen as funny and generally isn't anti-cycle, just watch the inbetweeners...

JwYNF7j71qfnioxnnQqkNHn1o1_500.png
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    AndyManc wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Did you actually say "move on deal with it" ?

Which is it .....

I'll tell you what that phrase means, it's a mind numbing Americanism that means **** all and has no place in English vocabulary.

I bet, to top it off, you've got an upward inflection as well .

Do you want fish with that chip on your shoulder?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I have had rocks thrown at me from a bridge. Also squirted with a super-soaker (warm liquid!). A few days ago I got called a 'white idiot' and told to get a car etc.

It is no more abuse than one gets in other walks of life though. In fact, I probably have had more 'road rage' type stuff in my car.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Worst I've had is a wolf whistle from a couple of ladies in a car, I can't blame them, I do cut a dash in lycra 8)

I once got shouted at "run forest run" when I was out running one day, it was very original, and my sides almost split, there are some proper comedians out there.

I've not had any verbal yet (in just under 2000miles), although cars do have a tendency to drive f;ing close.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I`ve never had anything remotely amusing, usually it`s just a loud shout, I think they expect me to fall off or something. It`s pathetic. Once a white van man coming towards me kept honking his horn until I looked up and then he gave me the finger in a really nasty way.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Is this more of a geographical thing? I reckon the drivers around here are too busy trying to figure out how to drive with webbed feet to bother to shout obscenties at cyclists!!!