A True Champion

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited July 2010 in Pro race
We all know French Fighters bangs on about True Champions, but would a true champion attack when a close rival had a mechanical?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    No. No he wouldn't.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    pffttt

if he'd crashed, fair enough, but losing the chain, i dont see the problem
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • How else do you take the jersey? SO what if Schelck has to make a break away rather than sit in the peleton on Contadors wheel until Paris.
    It is a race after all
    TT every few days?

( PS I'm no cycle race expert just my 2 cents)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    How else do you take the jersey? SO what if Schelck has to make a break away rather than sit in the peloton on Contadors wheel until Paris.
    It is a race after all
    TT every few days?

( PS I'm no cycle race expert just my 2 cents)

Your comments in brackets aren't necessary.
  • funy guy
    the TT comment was tounge firmly in cheek
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Contador should have pulled up - took the easy route and bolted.

Bad form from AC.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Puncture, crash or any other "there but for the grace of god.." moment - wait up

Someones mechanic cant set up gears? - put the boot in.

This waiting lark is getting ridiculous
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • liamg
    liamg Posts: 193
    LangerDan wrote:

I think it was more a case of trying to shift under power rather than incorrect set up. If this is the case then its really Andy's fault.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    We all know French Fighters bangs on about True Champions, but would a true champion attack when a close rival had a mechanical?

Well..name me a TDF winner who hasn't had a less than sporting moment?

Hinault? LMAO, how about going back on his word and attacking Lemond during a very unfair moment and using the team "rules"to keep Lemond from chasing him down. (He attacked Lemond MANY times that year)

Merckx? How about when he attacked his own teammate because he'd (the teammate) signed for the next year with a rival team.

at the time, they're criticized. Years later, they come out smelling like...a champion.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    liamg wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

I think it was more a case of trying to shift under power rather than incorrect set up. If this is the case then its really Andy's fault.

Either way, I wouldn't call it a 'mechanical'
  • liamg
    liamg Posts: 193
    edited July 2010
    tomb8555 wrote:
    Either way, I wouldn't call it a 'mechanical'

I agree with you
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    I think we need another thread about this incident.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    AC had a chance today to become a patron and be respected by the peloton and the fans. Unfortunately he did not take it and now the yellow jersey is stained.
    Its no use bringing up other examples of poor sportsmanship or what happened at spa this is not football, cricket or whatever this is cycling and AS deserved the respect owed to him as leader of the race, its called tradition and its one of the things that makes cycling great.
    For me AC has looked more worried about AS all race and he is not in the best of form, but if wants to win the worlds greatest race (if he does) in this manner then it a poor show.
    Poor form contador.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    wicked wrote:
    AC had a chance today to become a patron and be respected by the peloton and the fans. Unfortunately he did not take it and now the yellow jersey is stained.
    Its no use bringing up other examples of poor sportsmanship or what happened at spa this is not football, cricket or whatever this is cycling and AS deserved the respect owed to him as leader of the race, its called tradition and its one of the things that makes cycling great.
    For me AC has looked more worried about AS all race and he is not in the best of form, but if wants to win the worlds greatest race (if he does) in this manner then it a poor show.
    Poor form contador.

of course he "was" worried about Andy.. Andy *had* 31 seconds on bertie because he attacked when others were on the deck.. HE would not be in yellow if he had not rode on?!
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Doobz wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    Poor form contador.

of course he "was" worried about Andy.. Andy *had* 31 seconds on bertie because he attacked when others were on the deck.. HE would not be in yellow if he had not rode on?!

People are quick to say Bertie wasn't in Yellow on Stage 3, but Chavanel was, and he had mechanicals and they never waited for him.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2010
    Didn't see Schleck waiting for Contador on the cobbled stage when his brother Frank's crash held up almost all the other favourites. Instead he sat in the wheel of Cancellara and they attacked to take as much time as possible.
  • wicked
    Rubbish. Contador in yellow then?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    There is a lot riding on the relationships between the equipment manufacturers and the pro teams. The manufacturers supply cash and equipment and the teams supply advertising and some nice press releases extolling the amazing kit they are using this season.

We see nice bikes racing and buy them. It’s simple. Cycling is funded by the fact that it is about the bike.

When things go wrong teams have to live with their poor business desicions. If you chose the unreliable gear, or set it up badly or hired a rider who can’t use it properly it’s your fault.

Nobody should have to wait for the bad management of another team. Cycling is a team sport, if the team fails then the individual riders suffer. Sure, wait for riders who get taken out by fans, big crashes and other acts of randomness but not for mechanicals.
  • Frowson
    Frowson Posts: 17
    Didn't see Schleck waiting for Contador on the cobbled stage when his brother Frank's crash held up almost all the other favourites. Instead he sat in the wheekl of Cancellara and they attacked to take as much time as possible.

But Contador didn't have the yellow jersey at this point. Isn't it the jersey that's owed the tradition of waiting rather than the rider? If this is the case then Schleck did nothing wrong by not waiting over the cobbles.
  • It seems in real time, it all happened so fast. Ok, I saw the chain get stuck but was AC right there to be fully cognizant of all the happenings going on? Also, believe it or not, chain problems are not all that uncommon however, this incident is being portrayed as being very dramatic. I need to see more and I did see where someone did put in a picture of apparently the moment of Schleck having his mechanical problems.
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    wicked wrote:
    Poor form contador.

+1 from me also. Very poor form from cuntador ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • wicked
    jrduquemin wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    Poor form contador.

+1 from me also. Very poor form from cuntador ;-)

I am sure that was just a typo there :D
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Doobz wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    Poor form contador.

People are quick to say Bertie wasn't in Yellow on Stage 3, but Chavanel was, and he had mechanicals and they never waited for him.

very good point mate..
    cartoon.jpg
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Frowson wrote:
    Didn't see Schleck waiting for Contador on the cobbled stage when his brother Frank's crash held up almost all the other favourites. Instead he sat in the wheekl of Cancellara and they attacked to take as much time as possible.

But Contador didn't have the yellow jersey at this point. Isn't it the jersey that's owed the tradition of waiting rather than the rider? If this is the case then Schleck did nothing wrong by not waiting over the cobbles.

When there's only two people in with a realistic chance of winning the Tour the yellow jersey is meaningless in this ethics debate.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Schleck attacked from the back of the small pack, Vino responded followed by Contador. Schleck unshipped his chain (no Dog Fang...) as Contador reached him, only getting off the bike after Conatdor had passed.
    So Contador was responding to Schlecks attack. The chain incident was unfortunate but secondary to that fact.
    Contador seemed to be hovering between pressing on or waiting, it looked to me that Menchov and Sanchez then pushed on to gain back time on Schleck and Contador had little choice but to go with them anyway. Once that decision was made you put the pressure on.

Racing incident.
    2nd placed rider was responding to an attack by the Yellow Jersey.
  • Frowson
    Frowson Posts: 17
    Frowson wrote:

When there's only two people in with a realistic chance of winning the Tour the yellow jersey is meaningless in this ethics debate.

You could say the same about Armstrong and Ullrich in 2003 and Ullrich didn't attack. Contador simply has no class and no respect for the traditions of the tour.
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    Frowson wrote:

the TDF is a race, Bertie was ride to seize the moment, or are some saying he should have got off and waited - how long for, what if the fix for AS was major? shall we wait and let the Peloton pass so AS and AC are equal on the day? if you do that why race at all - sit in Paris and decide whose turn it is to win each day....
  • wicked
    Why would he use a dog fang? Does that not just prevent the chain coming off when dropping down to the small ring. AS was going up to the big ring.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Couldn't see which way it unshipped but Roche and Hayles were discussing chain catchers on ES so wondered if this was relevant..
  • Schleck is real upset. See his remarks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 835486.stm