"Something" about schleck

boggyass
boggyass Posts: 221
edited July 2010 in Pro race
It may be just me but i find schleck more than a little bit annoying. i just dont warm to him.He has skinny arms and a flat head. He just doesnt look like a sportsman. Even wiggo seems to have more meat on him. I know its irrational but i cant help it. Anyone else feel the same? also find cadel just as annoying and he does seem to whinge a bit more.

Comments

• samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    Seems like a nice enough chap to me.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I think it's schleck's mouth... lots of side-to-side motion when he talks... like a goat.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Are we talking about Frank or Andy? Anyone notice that despite being as skinny as they come Andy's got a huge a*se!

Think it's partly the yellow jersey clashing with his shorts and riding up his back, but still looks pretty hefty to drag up a mountain compared to Contador's!

[why the f*ck am I talking about blokes' a*ses?!?! I'll get me coat...]
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Perhaps it's your 'inner woman' coming out Abdou?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • boggyass
    boggyass Posts: 221
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    I think it's schleck's mouth... lots of side-to-side motion when he talks... like a goat.

Andy, but i feel the same about both. Frank is another moaner.They are too tall and abdou is right, the size of ass is out of sync with the rest of the torso. Ping! that must be it, they look like jigsaw men!
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Nothing to do with Schleck, but a similar phenomena...

Whenever I see Mel C ("Sporty Spice") I feel physically ill. If I see her on tv or hear her voice in songs, I feel sick
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's a very good rider and he's also able to talk about a race intelligently. I'm just not sure about his descending technique, hands on the hoods instead of the drops. Still, he kept Samuel Sanchez at bay during the Madeleine descent so it works.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i agree with the OP, theres something about him thats a bit suspicious
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    gsk82 wrote:

Oh come on! He's hardly "The Chicken"...

Now, if he could time trial, you might have grounds for suspicion. But his wirey frame just screams PURE CLIMBER. There's not a thing suspicious about him!
  • chris281192
    chris281192 Posts: 189
    i agree, hard to warm to, and descending was just strange, looked like his first time downhill on a road bike. But, i'd love to see someone beat contador to spice things up, and today he put on quite a good show.
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    I've got a lot of time for him as a rider and he seems alright as a person too. As kleber says, he gives a good interview and he's honest and direct about his plans or what just happened.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I like him - I'd like to see him win this year. Maybe cos contador makes crap adverts but the schleck vs contador specialized ad is much better.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I wonder whether he has a gynecologist -- like his brother.
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    i think he threw a bit of time away today ignoring menchov and sitting in contadors trail-a-ride! he looked stronger than contador all the way up the last climb yet just sat on him when he stopped near the end! wonder if he would have held contadors bike if he stopped for a pee?
    who cares?
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I don't understand Andy's tactics.
    It's all very well sitting on Bertie and defending the jersey, but surely someone has told him that he'll lose 2 mins + in the TT?
    Unless he knows something we don't and his TT form is red hot? Which would be a surprise, given he lost the best part of a minute over 9km in the prologue?!!
    One thing is for sure, he has improved (or Bertie's not as good?).
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Nah AS is cool. A very focused rider who gives a good interview too!

El Pistolero on the other hand...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    His biggest fault for me is he is so negative. OK Bertie may have genuinely been toying with him yesterday but it may also have been a big bluff and he was genuinely struggling. Schleck should have at least had a go and found out, he may have pulled a minute out. He needs a bigger cushion by the time trial so may as well go down trying and could now end up finishing further down on GC after losing time to a couple of other rivals.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    He's playing with Contador, trying to psych him out. He'd have shown his hand if he'd attacked especially if he'd only grabbed a few seconds or nothing. It wasn't the right climb and Contador is still not sure how strong Andy is.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm keen on Andy Schleck - very keen.

His interviews are great (for a GC contender at least).
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    andy is ok... quite humorous..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    I like the lad - he's very open and seems honest.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    My one problem with Andy is my suspicion of his training methods. Was it Gibo Simoni who commented after Andy's Giro 2nd " So much for the younger cleaner generation" (or something similar). But wtf do I know? And hey, his main rival is a a Saiz/Bruyneel protogee.

As a bloke, he comes across really well and I have no problem with his weird looks, being 6'1" and 63kgs and having a crooked teeth myself.

I'd like him to win as it would be good for cycling. If he doesn't beat Contador this year, I fear Bertie will own him for the rest of his career and the TdF will be pretty dull in years to come.

Nobody wants an Anquetil/Poullidor battle where the result is known beforehand. Much better a Coppi/Bartlali dust up.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:
    My one problem with Andy is my suspicion of his training methods. Was it Gibo Simoni who commented after Andy's Giro 2nd " So much for the younger cleaner generation" (or something similar). But wtf do I know? And hey, his main rival is a a Saiz/Bruyneel protogee.

is anybody in the top 10 not suspect?

I think you sum it up...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Timoid. wrote:

I think you sum it up...

Basso would be the one I'd trust most.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I think you sum it up...

Basso would be the one I'd trust most.

yeah .. "the most"....
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Timoid. wrote:

I think you sum it up...

Proof is in the TT for me. Always the clearest indication of "enhanced training" imho.

If AS is close then I shout cheat.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Been my favourite rider since 08 (Andy) - and am hoping he'll win the TDF. Good to have more than 1 guy at the top of the sport - he can speak English, gives good interviews - with Armstrong going, it's pretty obvious cycling needs some ''accesible'' big faces/personalities (for the sporting public) at the top of the sport - and Andy is that man.

And whatever anyone thinks about Lance - he's probably helped inspire millions of couch potatoes (over the last 10 years) to get up and go out on their bikes - a 'positive' net etffect I'd say :wink: - :D
  • I agree entirely with timoid
    Dan
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think he is a missing Bee Gee; is this just me??

Also he attacks from the front like a doughnut; seems a nice enough chap though and even tells us when he is on the limit which is handy for Mr Contador; which again is very nice of Andy.
    Also he can ride a bike unlike his brother.

-Jerry

BeeGeesSpiritsHavingFlown.jpg

Andy-Schleck-vainqueur-Armstrong-en-echec.jpg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    gsk82 wrote:

I have a few questions for you. And I'll even answer them.
    Have you ever talked to Andy? NO
    Have you ever talked to any of his friends? NO
    Do you have any friends who have talked to him? NO
    Do you know anyone, personally, who rides in the pro peloton? NO
    Have you ever been closer to him than the television set? NO
    And yet you're suspicious? YES
    Isn't that a little paranoid? Oh yeah.