"I'm f*ked mate"

13»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Had he not given it a go and concentrated on trying to win smaller races, as some suggested, then he would have deserved to be damned for a lack of ambition.

Why does it have to be either/or? You can still aim to peak your season around July whilst racing to win in other events.

I'm not saying he has to do a Contador and race to win everything (like a True Champion™), but even people like Menchov and Leipheimer occasionally test themselves outside the Tour.

If you base your entire season around an "all or nothing" strategy, then I think it's fair game to be critical when you end up with nothing.

He did it that way because he thought it gave him the most chance of success. It turns out to be the wrong choice, and he'll do things differently next year. Most of the top ten were quiet before June.

My point was more that some people think trying and failing is worse than not trying at all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Let's face it, he's done better this year than someone else I could name who seems to think it is OK to roll in 5 minutes down on a flattish stage laughing and joking and basically showing no respect (sorry for the FF moment) for the race.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    eh wrote:
    Lets be honest he is having a stinker. While he was overhyped in the english speaking press, a top 10 should have been realistic. Possibly even worse he is being beaten by a team mate, which is the stuff of nightmares.

The whole of the TDF for Sky so far, with a few exceptions (Geraint mostly) has been poor Still 1 week for a possible turn around, but I can't see it at present with the riders they have.

to be honest sky have been having a complete stinker all round so far, only win of note was Flecha at Het Nieuwsblad. i'm sure EBH will boost that tally in late season, but so far they've done v little, but give them time very few teams come out firing on all cylinders in first year. to witness, the three most underwhelming teams so far: sky, radioshack and BMC, all new teams.

think about how pants US postal were before lance came along, breakaway cannon fodder. the important thing is not to stay rooted in mediocrity, a la Milram et Katusha
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    2 million on this loser? Complete waste of money imo. For that kind of money he should be in the top ten come Sunday, at least. That and his cavalier attitude to it all .......
  • Pross
    I'm sure Sky will decide whether he is a waste of money when his contract comes up for renewal (or even earlier if he's the sad loser some people are making out - glad I'm not that crap that I can only make the TdF top 20).

Sky will dominate the Tour of Britain anyway :wink:
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,391
    Wow, Wiggins winning the Giro prologue and taking the Maglia Rosa must just have been some sort of crazy dream I had then.
    Robstar24 wrote:
    to be honest sky have been having a complete stinker all round so far, only win of note was Flecha at Het Nieuwsblad
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Wiggo has been dissapointing. This year his form is off and the course has left him badly exposed. But he can change things and have another go. As others have rightly said, no shame in that.

But, I do agree with Kimmage to a certain extent - what about a Plan B?

Wiggo aside, some fo the decisions made by Sky are very puzzling. Rarely in the break (except as a late-in-the-stage bottle-carrier), no sprinter (EBH isn't exactly firing on all cyclinders) and light in climbing talent. Some weird tactical decisions to boot.

Yesterday's Sky update on their Facebook page was, "Lovqvist maintains 16th place on GC after finishing 35th on stage". Rather says it all really!
  • sampurnell
    sampurnell Posts: 126
    i agree on his form has let him down,
    however it genuinley upset me to hear him say last year was a fluke.

we have all been there when you have given something everything you have and you wernt good enough. this is that x10,000,000 and in front of the worlds media.
    i just really feel sorry for the guy.
  • Pross
    Wiggo has been dissapointing. This year his form is off and the course has left him badly exposed. But he can change things and have another go. As others have rightly said, no shame in that.

But, I do agree with Kimmage to a certain extent - what about a Plan B?

Wiggo aside, some fo the decisions made by Sky are very puzzling. Rarely in the break (except as a late-in-the-stage bottle-carrier), no sprinter (EBH isn't exactly firing on all cyclinders) and light in climbing talent. Some weird tactical decisions to boot.

Yesterday's Sky update on their Facebook page was, "Lovqvist maintains 16th place on GC after finishing 35th on stage". Rather says it all really!

Strange, I'm sure I've seen him finish 3rd man home in the bunch sprint a few times - no mean feat especially as he is more of an all rounder. I'd agree that they haven't got into enough breaks though. Hopefully that could be put right today :wink:
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I feel sorry for both Wiggins and Sky. I thought it was decent of him to come out and say that he has been mediocre and essentially not lived up to his expectations. There is no shame in setting your sights high however. I cant believe the way some people are writing him off after a failure in this years tour.

If Sky's stated aim is to win the tour in 5 years then their first crack was obviously going to be a learning experience. Having said that I am sure they hoped it would go better than it has. If they want to win it in future they are still going to have to focus their season around it.

If they wanted to win it this year they would have had to have signed Contador or Andy S. Neither were available and presumably Contador wouldnt be without a whiff of doubt either.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    r0bh wrote:
    Wow, Wiggins winning the Giro prologue and taking the Maglia Rosa must just have been some sort of crazy dream I had then.
    Robstar24 wrote:
    to be honest sky have been having a complete stinker all round so far, only win of note was Flecha at Het Nieuwsblad

still a poor return on investment, but as DB said today, first year is about learning. media hyped up sky to be better than they are. besides wiggo's 4th last year and the very exciting prospect of EBH they don't have many very talented riders, more reliable and unspectacular people who will be in the places but not winning, like flecha, cummings, arvesen etc..
  • Pross
    I'd say Thomas is talented but they need to put him in the races that suit him and in Kennaugh they have a real talent for the future.
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    Still, Serge Pauwels has been an unprecedented success eh
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    smithy21 wrote:
    I feel sorry for both Wiggins and Sky. I thought it was decent of him to come out and say that he has been mediocre and essentially not lived up to his expectations. There is no shame in setting your sights high however. I cant believe the way some people are writing him off after a failure in this years tour.

If Sky's stated aim is to win the tour in 5 years then their first crack was obviously going to be a learning experience. Having said that I am sure they hoped it would go better than it has. If they want to win it in future they are still going to have to focus their season around it.

If they wanted to win it this year they would have had to have signed Contador or Andy S. Neither were available and presumably Contador wouldnt be without a whiff of doubt either.

Well said.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    smithy21 wrote:

F*ck that. After poaching a rider who was under contract for another season, I'm delighted he's delivered precisely bugger all for SKY.

Karma has been restored. :D

On a separate note, Wiggins being touted as a GT podium / winner is the best piece of salesmanship since Jack was persuaded to sell his cow in exchange for some magic beans! :lol:
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    smithy21 wrote:

Or the Schlecks......................what with the linke to Fuentes 'training plans' and all...
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Time for Sky to *recalibrate* - which could mean someone needs to find Dr Ferrari's telephone number pretty quickly.

Sorry even if tongue in cheek that's a stupid comment.

heh heh the next step is taken: http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... tance.html
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    AndyRubio, what the hell is your video on your signature all about???
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    that's me on the 4th plinth of Trafalgar Square last year

I'm the fatso on the bike