Is Coke an energy drink?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I have seen over the last couple of weeks riders in the TDF drinking from cans of coke.*

Last week I rode out to watch a local stage race. Having left home without the normal bottle of water and banana I stopped for supplies and decide to give the Coke a go. I felt full of riding on the return trip (25miles each way)

So is Coke a good energy drink?

I assume as they were drinking from the can that it was actually Coke they were drinking.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    It's a sugar and caffeine rush, small doses only.

Too much and you'll be farting and burping all the way home.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Sure it's an energy drink. It's got sugar in it, just like all the other enrgy drinks. Probably just as good too. And I know it tastes better.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited July 2010
    In the same way as you will get a sudden burst of energy from drinking Coke, you will also then get a massive low.

Before energy drinks were available competitive cyclists would drink flat coke towards the end of a race for that last energy hit.

I suspect the riders seen drinking it on The Tour will either get sponsorship from
    Coca Cola or, they will require that sudden carb hit after expending so much energy. Caffeine has been found to aid muscle recovery also.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'd think it's just for a quick hit (and associated sponsorship concerns). what little evidence their is that caffeine aids recovery involved impractically large quantities to be taken whilst riding.
  • tailwindhome
    In the same way as you will get a sudden burst of energy from drinking Coke, you will also then get a massive low.
    Warpcow wrote:
    I'd think it's just for a quick hit

Is this different from other energy drinks and gels. (I haven't tried any yet)
    get sponsorship from Coca Cola

Got to be more to it than that....if it was just sponsorship they would drink a.n.other drink from a Coke branded water bottle,
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Most of nutrition is pretty simple. Sure, you can get bogged down in the detail about different types of sugar and the way they are used by the body etc but it mostly boils down to:

- when exercising hard, you need energy, and water
    - sugar is the form of energy most rapidly absorbed by the body
    - Coke is mainly composed of sugar and water

So drinking Coke will give you a rapdily-absorbed form of energy.

The riders will be drinking things other than Coke, and eating solid food too (including some food which releases energy more slowly).

So of course Coke can be drunk by elite cyclits, "as part of a balanced diet"...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Plus - Coke tastes good. It provides a nice change from the usual energy drinks that suck back all day. They don't get it because they get paid to and most of the time you won't even see them doing it.

It IS an anergy drink, just not the BEST energy drink.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I'd heard that its drunk flat to avoid the bloating and gassiness
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I have seen over the last couple of weeks riders in the TDF drinking from cans of coke.*

Last week I rode out to watch a local stage race. Having left home without the normal bottle of water and banana I stopped for supplies and decide to give the Coke a go. I felt full of riding on the return trip (25miles each way)

So is Coke a good energy drink?

I assume as they were drinking from the can that it was actually Coke they were drinking.

Its good if your right on the edge and need sugar, otherwise its not a good drink no.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The HTC Columbia Tour diet I've seen for providing about 9,000 calories a day included 400ml of coca-cola during the race and anothwe 330ml afterwards, but it also has 4000ml of a carbodrink and another 1000ml of water both during the race and then 500ml recovery drink and 400ml water after the race.
    I imagine the coke is nicer to drink immediately after a tough stage and gives that little kick to deal with the melé that is the journey from finish line to hotel or team bus.

I thought I'd read somewhere of teams replacing coka-cola witha different fizzy drink this year though.

I remember seeing a phot0 (which I can't now find) of a cyclist proudly showing off the two mini-mars bars he'd in his musette bag during a race to the bike TV cameras :)
  • bmca2010
    bmca2010 Posts: 54
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3g6F3fTg_I

at 2.05 its shows whats in a HTC columbia feed bag, it included a can of coke

all that stuff hardly looks like a balanced diet tho, i would have though all them gels would have been full of all the preservatives, aspartame etc of the day , it must do the job tho
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    While it is an "energy drink", personally, I don't think its a very good one.

They use high fructose corn syrup, which is linked with obesity and type 2 diabetes.

If you can find it, Coke "classic" which uses cane sugar is "better".
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    doesn't all this stuff really f**k their teeth up? do they take a dentist on tour with them?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    from various rowers I know - it was used (by them) for the caffiene primarily, the sugar was a bonus. Gets you hyper and pumped up to race on.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Normally Coke wouldn't be entertained (I assume) but, I think, in this (energy sapping) heat and up those hills extreme measures are being taken to give the riders a quick energy boost of sugar and caffine hence Coke. The come down must be pretty brutal...

When they start drinking Pespi Max you know sh*t has really hit the fan...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    TdF riders are not drinking Coke or any other energy drinks for their health.
    IMO if you actually NEED an energy drink, you are overexerting.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    When they start drinking Pespi Max you know sh*t has really hit the fan...

Don't reckon they'd get very far drinking that at around 1kcal per can...!

Reminds me of the story about an IronMan training event regarding those in charge of the cycle feed stations. They saved the organisers hundreds of pounds, but bought Diet Coke as it was on offer...

...cue pretty much every participant bonking come the bike stage!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    snailracer wrote:
    TdF riders are not drinking Coke or any other energy drinks for their health.
    IMO if you actually NEED an energy drink, you are overexerting.

I've got a sneeking feeling that those fellas are pushing it a bit... :P
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    danowat wrote:

They use high fructose corn syrup, which is linked with obesity and type 2 diabetes.

Um, no.

HFCS is only used in the US, where corn is massively subsidised by the government.

Elsewhere, including the UK, SUGAR is used.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    thelawnet wrote:
    danowat wrote:

Um, no.

HFCS is only used in the US, where corn is massively subsidised by the government.

Elsewhere, including the UK, SUGAR is used.

Really?, hmmm........any links?
  • Peasoup
    Peasoup Posts: 63
    Cadel Evans was drinking a can during one of the climbs yesterday.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It was Cadel Evans drinking it on yesterdays ride that made me think "wow, energy levels must be really low or being sapped at an alarming rate for him to be drinking that mid-ride".
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    The little cans of coke are a regular sight during races. Sean Kelly is always going on about them, I think the riders drink a lot more than you'd think.

The rider with the mars bars was Jens Voight (i think) can't find a pic now tho.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Coke is pretty common in the triathlons and similar events that I have done. I drink a fair bit of coke (i dont drink coffee) and often have it while out on a ride when i need an energy kick. It does have two major drawbacks though:

1. The fizziness makes for an uncomfortable stomach.

2. Warm coke is foul - it makes your mouth feel furry!!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It was Cadel Evans drinking it on yesterdays ride that made me think "wow, energy levels must be really low or being sapped at an alarming rate for him to be drinking that mid-ride".

Remind me DDD...have you ever ridden 100 miles?
  • tailwindhome
    vorsprung wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Remind me DDD...have you ever ridden 100 miles?

story29b.jpg
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    mrc1 wrote:
    Coke is pretty common in the triathlons and similar events that I have done.

A lot of triathletes drink coke because of the old wives tale that the acidity will kill anything like weil's disease that may be in the water you've swallowed (forgetting that your stomach acid is much stronger).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Evans was drinking the coke with about 32k to go if i remember. It gives you a nice boost. I only use it for the last couple of hours of a loooong triathlon - caffeine +sugar plus it makes a change from sports drinks.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Asprilla wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    Coke is pretty common in the triathlons and similar events that I have done.

A lot of triathletes drink coke because of the old wives tale that the acidity will kill anything like weil's disease that may be in the water you've swallowed (forgetting that your stomach acid is much stronger).

That's a bit of a bizarre one! My triathlon experience is limited to the UK so I doubt that's the major driver behind drinking it. Probably more down to the fact that it is a cheap, easy to find source of fast energy and caffiene!

Edit - just done a google of Weil's and i see it does seem to be a pretty common reason! Haha I drink it because it tastes nice!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    There's a mate of mine swears by Irn-Bru.....he let's it go flat first tho'

Actually seems quite sensible, you get the sugar boost but without the gassy-ness
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!