Midlife crises - Death drop

2»

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Frodo1095 wrote:
    Nice pics Raymondavalon :D , looks like the inside of my leg, except I did mine playing rugby and it was how I ended up getting into mtb'ing in 1992 as a way to build up the strength in the leg again.

and thers the rub....sunday footballists are far more likely to injure themselves than us mountain bikers!

hell... if you want a dangerous sport...try fishing or golf...more deaths occur doing those two than any other :shock:

ok you can drown fishing...and the demographic of golf might have something to do with it...but....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    capoz77 wrote:
    if it really is that gnarly vs your skill level and has a 80% chance of ending up with broken bones is it worth the short term 5 second high you'll get from the jump itself and the longer term "i did it" feel good endorphin rush afterwards?

You'll get the same feel good endorphin injection from some sweet fast singletrack. Save your bones for later life.

Some of the broken bits I have make for great stories, if I didn't make those efforts to do stupid things I wouldn;t have any interesting stories to tell people!

Do it, break yourself, heal, have a reet laugh about it and try again.
  • busta gonad
    busta gonad Posts: 162
    Will you stop already with the graphic images of breaks, it's playing havoc with my psyche.

Feck it, i'm going to girdle my loins and have it!!?? whimper.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Will you stop already with the graphic images of breaks, it's playing havoc with my psyche.

:shock:
    sounds painful, what does that mean?

:lol:
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455

Good luck! I'm sitting here with a separated shoulder after landing on it and my head. Hit the far lip of a bomb hole and fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. I was in the air long enough to know it was going to hurt a lot.

Luckily no where near as bad as Raymond's leg.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Where is this drop? It's not Innerleithen is it? Sounds a lot like it.

Also, what bike are you riding? I've hit a few eight foot drops on my Session 10 with 8/10 inches of travel and it's an easy landing. I wouldn't even consider hitting them on my XC bike.

If you have the bike for the job, the right protective gear and the confidence then go for it. Just don't wreck your bike, seriously injure yourself or hit the brakes too late - trying to stop once you're committed is REALLY gonna hurt.

And the buzz the first time you hit it, nothing like it!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Tinca
    Tinca Posts: 16
    ChrisSA wrote:

Good luck! I'm sitting here with a separated shoulder after landing on it and my head. Hit the far lip of a bomb hole and fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. I was in the air long enough to know it was going to hurt a lot.

Luckily no where near as bad as Raymond's leg.

So am i :)
    2009 Rockhopper Comp
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    has he done it? he's not replied for a while?!?!?!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • ed_arnold
    ed_arnold Posts: 65
    I'm sorry to have to inform you all........but.......... 'busta gonad' is no longer with us.

Some say he was talked into a perilous bike stunt by a load of his online peers....
    ;-)
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Is this sort of thing the reason why the orthopaedic surgeons at the Borders General refer to GT as 'that terrible place'?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ellieb wrote:
    Is this sort of thing the reason why the orthopaedic surgeons at the Borders General refer to GT as 'that terrible place'?

Edinburgh Royal Infirmary put my mate Matthew on their "Glentrauma" list :lol: Though they seem quite keen on recording glentress injuries because they've got funding for an enormous survey on mountain bike injuries.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    JonnyN wrote:
    has he done it? he's not replied for a while?!?!?!
    Nah, he's fine, he started another success thread!
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Where? I see no such thread..... :? :?: :!:
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Anonymous
    it was ages ago! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, having said that... i just looked, and it seems I was wrong, it was another rider who was "inspired" by this thread that started the other one.