Midlife crises - Death drop

busta gonad
busta gonad Posts: 162
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I have been biking for the last couple of years and getting more confident, i like a challenge - the thing is there is this drop local to me, about 8ft off a small crag to a sloping transition, the local downhillers send it with ease i am told, i'm the wrong side of forty and my girlfriend tells me to grow up and it will end in tears " you don't bounce like you used to".

I'm so psyched i really want to do it, but am i deluding myself, afterall Gee makes this stuff look so easy! should a balding middle aged man who has let himself go a little, even be contemplating this stuff.

Comments

• Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    you're never too old!

maybe practice on something smaller to make sure you've got the technique sorted then hit it.

just make sure someone is around to call an ambulance :lol:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd contemplate it a bit more if you have a little body armour. Something to protect the hands, knees and elbows maybe. Start with something a bit smaller and work your way up to it slowly.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    afterall Gee makes this stuff look so easy!
    Thanks!
    I've been riding for years though, starting off relatively small, and building up like koiler mentions.

You're never too old!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    my mate runs a holiday company in the alps and he had a guy there last year who was 62 i think. i've seen pics of him hitting things i'd think twice about! he was fully padded up and he was going for it....

i say do it :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    nothing to stop you...

8ft is a decent sized drop off for sure...

start smaller...build up...

if you question it on approach....don't hit it.

know you are going to nail it
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    I love the story about a guy in his late 60s who'd hired a mountain bike in the Alps, then went missing. They found his body wrecked at the bottom of a ravine, and his bike in a tree, 15 feet from the ground, and several hundreds of feet above where his body was.

Sad, yes, but epically wesome!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I love the story about a guy in his late 60s who'd hired a mountain bike in the Alps, then went missing. They found his body wrecked at the bottom of a ravine, and his bike in a tree, 15 feet from the ground, and several hundreds of feet above where his body was.

Sad, yes, but epically wesome!

if your gonna go......go with crack-thwack-thump-oohyah-ahhh-oo-ee-crack-thump-thwitoing
    thud!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Was the bike alright ;-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    I have no idea if the bike was all right, it wasn't mentioned in the news.
    Great way to go though eh? :lol:
  • busta gonad
    Guffaw, You guys are evil

Can't even use the bike as a get out clause, it's more than up for the job.

I really should do it, i think my technique is good to go, visualize - , land gracefully, tea and medals.
  • busta gonad
    Cee great advice

Gee you gonna win the nationals this weekend! lol
  • Anonymous
    you're the first one to twig!
    (cue crazy forum rumours)
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    Koiler wrote:
    just make sure someone is around to call an ambulance :lol:
    Yes, but just as importantly: get someone to video it - please? :lol:
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I'd be more worried about the bike :P Cuts mend and bones heal, but a snapped headtube is forever :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't worry about anything. I'll look after your girlfriend
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Age is all in the mind..

billdorr.jpg

Only you know if you're up to it.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    if it really is that gnarly vs your skill level and has a 80% chance of ending up with broken bones is it worth the short term 5 second high you'll get from the jump itself and the longer term "i did it" feel good endorphin rush afterwards?

You'll get the same feel good endorphin injection from some sweet fast singletrack. Save your bones for later life.
  • Anonymous
    capoz77 wrote:
    if it really is that gnarly vs your skill level and has a 80% chance of ending up with broken bones is it worth the short term 5 second high you'll get from the jump itself and the longer term "i did it" feel good endorphin rush afterwards?
    HELL YES!

It's mountain biking as we know and love. Doing stupid things on bikes for the thrill and satisfaction of it.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    I know someone well into their 40's that has just recently chucked themselves down the Alps in the Mega-Avalanche ! Never to old to do what you love :D
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Christ busta Gonad listen to yourself man! What would your 21 year old self say to you now huh? Think about that. what would he do?.....he'd SLAP you. The mrs is only trying to beat you down, don't stand for it! she's just jealous. You do it my son! Then you have truley deserved the right to sink some beers and tell everyone how great you are.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I had a similar phrase of mind just over two years back, aged 46
    It did result in tears.. but I was fortunate enough to heal up very well.. my only recommendation is to wear safety gear when pushing yourself to new limits when you you don't bounce like you used to

A photo is worth a million words...

28042008104largewl3.th.jpg 28042008107largejo0.th.jpg

A lovely compound fracture with repair work that now gets security staff attention every time I walk through a metal detector at the airport.. :roll:
    However I am 100% healed and still push a little past my limits from time to time, but fortunately I only end up with cuts & bruises
  • Call the ambulance first, get the driver to take the video for us and wrap a double duvet around your body armour for good measure. Do enjoy it - don't do it alone.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Raymond how on earth did you do that?!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    capoz77 wrote:
    Raymond how on earth did you do that?!

Short version:

Being a dumbass

Long version:

Did a high speed manual while descending a steep drop on some singletrack, lost the balance point, went too far back, bailed, cartwheeled and stopped.
    I thought I was fine until I stood up, that's when the bone came out the bottom of my and was in the side of my shoe! I reacted and pulled my foot back over the bone. I then took my shoe off and managed to get a photo or two before the ambulance arrived and took my sorry a$$ to hospital

dscf0009s.th.jpg

Cannot fault the NHS, this occurred on a Saturday and I was discharged from hospital on Monday afternoon.
    As I said, I was fortunate to heal up very well and rode the same bike down the same hill 91 days after the break.
  • ianton2
    ianton2 Posts: 14
    Please have someone do the video when you jump...I am 40 plus and would love the additional motivation...
  • Anonymous
    I'm only a few years off 40 which I try to deny to myself. I've only got into this in the last few years and I refuse to stop because of a number.

Besides I believe it's more healthy to have an active outdoor pursuit. So long as you survive all the bumps and breaks. I'd hope to still be out and active long after I get my bus pass :D.

Anyway, at the rate it's going I'll probably be about 40 by the time I can cope with 8 foot drops :D.
  • cobby1970
    cobby1970 Posts: 450
    Don't let age come into it, if you want to do it and feel you can do it then go do it, but as previously stated "make sure you're not alone"

Good luck old boy :lol:
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Just recently done my "death drop"-.....less than 4 feet though but I am 47 and a half
    Discussion on hucks going on on the Freeride page
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12715461
    perhaps raymondavalon's cautionary tale may temper any over exuberance.
    :wink:
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Nice pics Raymondavalon :D , looks like the inside of my leg, except I did mine playing rugby and it was how I ended up getting into mtb'ing in 1992 as a way to build up the strength in the leg again.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Ithe thing is there is this drop local to me, about 8ft off a small crag to a sloping transition
    F*ck that, just ride round it :)

A 'good' ride is one you can walk away from. A 'great' ride is one you can walk away from and use the bike again.