Suffolk Coast 60 - Sun. 8th August

http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=237

Anyone else doing this?

Also for anyone who's ridden it before, I was wondering if there's much climbing en-route?

Comments

• I've only just started road cycling (last week!) but I'm very tempted to do this....I'd be surprised if there's much climbing - it's rather flat round here!

If I've done 24 miles max (without too much trouble) so far, would 60miles be doable?
    Giant Rapid 3
  • fancy this one
    Did the essex castle ride a few weeks ago
  • I just got back from the Dunwich Dynamo, which ends in this area. Its really flat! I didn't notice a climb the whole way from London.
    Summer - Colnago C40
    Race - Wilier Alpe D'Huez
    Winter/Commuter - Specialized Tricross
  • Ok I've got round to booking this now. I wasn't expecting much in the way of hills, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

@Suffolk - I did the Norwich 50 in early June after only a month back in the saddle. The longest rides I did beforehand were a couple of 20 milers and I was fine. 60 should be ok as long as you're reasonably fit.

If anyone would like to meet up at start and group, I'll be wearing Astana gear and riding a white Specialized Allez. I intend to get going at 8.00am or very soon after.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I was planning to, but BTCC at snetterton is the same day :roll:
  • orbeaorca
    orbeaorca Posts: 246
    [quote=

Also for anyone who's ridden it before, I was wondering if there's much climbing en-route?[/quote]

Climbing???? Its in Suffolk :D
  • Cheers PoCk3tRoCk3t, I signed up yesterday so might see ya there. I'll probably be in a white t shirt, black dhb Earnley shorts and on a Giant Rapid 3. I'll be no good for grouping (lead weight) but feel free to give us a nod if you see me!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • andy40man
    andy40man Posts: 21
    Anyone know the route this ride takes south from Southwold? A map I found on map-my-ride shows it passing over the water on a footbridge with roughish tracks either side (ok for a hybrid, tourer). I checked these out on a ride last week and I wouldn't say they were suitable for a road bike. Turned back to Southwold and crossed water via A12.

E-mailed Bike Events for clarification but not had a reply yet.

Still doing the ride but will deffo go the A12 way anyway.
  • i will be there on a black Allez with red leather bar tape.
    Or just look for the fat bald bloke :D
  • andy40man wrote:
    Anyone know the route this ride takes south from Southwold? A map I found on map-my-ride shows it passing over the water on a footbridge with roughish tracks either side (ok for a hybrid, tourer). I checked these out on a ride last week and I wouldn't say they were suitable for a road bike. Turned back to Southwold and crossed water via A12.

E-mailed Bike Events for clarification but not had a reply yet.

Still doing the ride but will deffo go the A12 way anyway.

Ah.....well noted.....could you post a link to the map-my-ride thing please? I'll need to divert too...thanks
    Giant Rapid 3
  • I dont know whether the route will be the same, but I found this map of a past ride: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenhamilto ... 723/page2/

It does look like it passes over this bridge: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3&t=h&z=18

Is it not easier to just walk the bike over this bridge, or is the whole area quite bad? the organiser's website claims that the route is suitable for road bikes.

Thanks

SW
    Giant Rapid 3
  • orbeaorca
    Hi SuffolkWheels, the bridge you mention is approachable from two different directions so depending on which one the route takes you will determine wether the route is all on road.
    The map on the website is pretty god damn awfull really so its hard to see, if the route takes you right in Walberswick and down to the harbour then it's going to get rough but if you take a left turn before the harbour then you are ok.
  • Gotcha, cheers orbeaorca. I'll be taking the left turn option! Looks like this is Palmers Lane.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • andy40man
    Ooops wrong site, the map is from Routes section on Bikeradar link,

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... k-Coast-60
  • cheers andy40man, so, just so I understand correctly, would you reccomend going along the A1095 just before Southwold, taking the A12 and then Dunwich Road to join back up with the route on the B1125?
    Giant Rapid 3
  • orbeaorca
    cheers andy40man, so, just so I understand correctly, would you reccomend going along the A1095 just before Southwold, taking the A12 and then Dunwich Road to join back up with the route on the B1125?

Your bike isn't going to disintegrate if you follow the route on the slightly rough stuff :lol:

Just enjoy the ride
  • cheers orbeaorca, just newb worries!

Had a gander on Google - looks doable anyway! http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=s ... 33088&z=15

Bring on the 8th!!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • andy40man
    orbeaorca wrote:
    cheers andy40man, so, just so I understand correctly, would you reccomend going along the A1095 just before Southwold, taking the A12 and then Dunwich Road to join back up with the route on the B1125?

Your bike isn't going to disintegrate if you follow the route on the slightly rough stuff :lol:

Just enjoy the ride

It's not my bike I'm worried about it's the price of replacement fillings. :shock:
  • orbeaorca
    andy40man wrote:
    orbeaorca wrote:

Just enjoy the ride

It's not my bike I'm worried about it's the price of replacement fillings. :shock:

:lol: ... you will be fine
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    I'm doing this, should be good.

Just hoping this weather clears a little.

I'm sure they would have considered the quality of the surfaces, that doesn't look too bad anyway, you should see some of the roads in the country south of Norwich!!
  • Got my pack through today; number 623. Map will be given out on the day. Canne wait man!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    I think me and the g/f will be giving it a go, in my case a warm up for the Essex 100 a few weeks later. Hills? Round here? You're having a laugh!!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I did this a couple of years ago, nice ride.

If I remember rightly, the bit you mention south of Southwold is a case of getting off and walking only for a few mins though. Mainly due to the path being quite narrow and there being pedestrians/dog walkers. Once you've got off the narrow path the wider track was gravelled, it was quite deep gravel at that time and meant not being able to get any traction. I just walked that section, it was literally a couple of hundred metres so only a couple of mins.

Hills weren't a problem but a stiff wind on some sections was!
  • No. 654 reporting for duty!

Current weather forecast is looking iffy for Sunday, fingers crossed..
  • Did this ride and was pretty good apart from one confusing marshal point at dunwich.
    The get off section was a pain and did see a few punctures around.
    Not really any hills but yes the breeze was a tad frisky.
    Did it 3 hours 34 which i was happy with as I'm still over 17stone and touching 48.
    Thighs a bit tight but nothing serious so will go out for quick spin later.
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    It was a very enjoyable and sociable ride, not really physically challenging as there was nothing you could describe as a hill! Wind was a little whippy in places as mentioned.

Punctures galore I thought, kept thinking 'oh god not me please!'! A very pleasant and traffic free route though which I enjoyed a lot, and I will do again to try and push on with better times!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    I had 2 punctures and never seemed to pick up a tail wind, always a cross or head wind. Did anyone come a cropper on that muddy corner near Wrentham? The guy in front and the guy behind both came down heavily and one was not wearing a helmet. My time was a tad over 4 hours but considering I had to change one tube and stop every 3-4 miles from Walberswick to pump up the slow puncture, I am quite pleased.
  • Twas my first 'event' and loved it. Did it in 3hr50m. Thought it was well organised and signed and managed to get through puncture free, although my chain slipped off twice - the second time it somehow got wrapped right round the crank and took about 10 mins to sort. Next purchase - a minitool!

Had planned for a comfort break at Southwold - didn't realise you had to pay 10p to get in so another minute wasted there..

Now considering the Essex 100 but bit concerned about getting anyone to cough up sponsorship again!
    Giant Rapid 3
  • I remember that muddy corner, lucky enough the people in front were going slow enough for me to properly avoid it.
    And yes, I dont ever remember the wind being in my favour :D .
    Am also considering the essex 100 but my lower back really hurts after 40 miles, I have a weakness there and my muscles go tight as they fight to protect that area so is my limiting factor really
  • dnrc
    dnrc Posts: 159
    Was that corner where you came down a bit of a hill to a right hander at the bottom with a a marshal on a stool?

If it was the guy behind me fell off there, i heard a crash, so turned and checked he was ok before carrying on.

I enjoyed the day, the weather came through for once and the run was nice and quiet.

Reading this here it seems I need to get quicker though. I did it non stop in 3h50m. And I was struggling at the end. It was fairly breezy all the way but it really picked up for the last two miles.

I'll likely do it again next year though.