Maximum penalty for RLJ

jibberish
jibberish Posts: 151
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi

My mate spotted cyclists being stopped this morning and the police were asking the people who were stopped if they drove cars.

Am I right that the maximum fine is £30 and they can't touch your license.

<not a thread about the rights and wrongs of RLJ>

Cheers

Jib

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    As far as I know. If they asked me if I drove I would say no, I have got a licence (somewhere) but I haven't driven a car since 1996...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I'm not aware that they can put points on your driving license, as it's not a motorized vehicle.

Perhaps it's purely so they can determine that if you have a driving license, you've passed a driving test, in which case you know full well that the highway code doesn't allow anyone to jump red lights but emergency vehicles.

Somebody who doesn't drive and has never taken a cycling proficiency could probably try and claim ignorance that they've never heard otherwise that cyclists aren't allowed to RLJ.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Don't know about the maximum, but I believe the MINIMUM is £60 fine AND 3 pts on your license for a car, don't know how this translates to a bike though.....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rich_E wrote:
    Somebody who doesn't drive and has never taken a cycling proficiency could probably try and claim ignorance that they've never heard otherwise that cyclists aren't allowed to RLJ.

Fairly certain ignorance isn't an excuse.

That said, it might be legal to lie to police anyway. Stop and search for example it's not a crime to give incorrect details to officers unless you're under arrest.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    It's £30 for a bike. This is one of the reasons cited to me by London City Police as a reason they don't stop cars for entering the ASL (and effectively red light jumping) - they don't believe that it's fair that motorists pay £60 and cyclists only £30
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    It's £30 for a bike. This is one of the reasons cited to me by London City Police as a reason they don't stop cars for entering the ASL (and effectively red light jumping) - they don't believe that it's fair that motorists pay £60 and cyclists only £30

Thats interesting to know
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Death - by cycling in front of a truck. Muppet.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Limburger wrote:

+1
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    dhope wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

That said, it might be legal to lie to police anyway. Stop and search for example it's not a crime to give incorrect details to officers unless you're under arrest.

Really? Do you have a source?
  • W1

Which as I've said before is utterly outrageous. I'd be sending a copy of that letter to my MP.
  • W1
    Rich_E wrote:
    I'm not aware that they can put points on your driving license, as it's not a motorized vehicle.

Magistrates have a general power to ban someone from driving.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

So in essence they're not punishing car drivers but they are punishing cyclists? Surely that's just as 'unfair'!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412

I have to say, I do sort of agree with the police on this one - not the difference in the cost, but the fact that the two offenses are seen as the same thing.

In my opinion, going through a red light (i.e. passing the entire light on red and proceeding across the junction) is FAR more dangerous, for all parties, than a car/motorbike entering an ASL.

I am not saying that entering an ASL isn't dangerous, isn't extremely annoying - but it's a very different thing than actually going through the entire red light and crossing a junction.

Keep the fine for entering an ASL the same - but the fine for an actual RLJ should be increased to differentiate it from entering an ASL.

Something like 3 weeks in a hard-labour camp being forced to listen to Justin Beiber would do it I think.
  • W1
    marcusjb wrote:

I have to say, I do sort of agree with the police on this one - not the difference in the cost, but the fact that the two offenses are seen as the same thing.

In my opinion, going through a red light (i.e. passing the entire light on red and proceeding across the junction) is FAR more dangerous, for all parties, than a car/motorbike entering an ASL.

I am not saying that entering an ASL isn't dangerous, isn't extremely annoying - but it's a very different thing than actually going through the entire red light and crossing a junction.

Keep the fine for entering an ASL the same - but the fine for an actual RLJ should be increased to differentiate it from entering an ASL.

Something like 3 weeks in a hard-labour camp being forced to listen to Justin Beiber would do it I think.

I agree with you - but technically as the law stands they are the same offence. And it's not for the police to decide what offences they simply won't prosecute as they see the penalty as unfair - that's a job for Parliament.

I think I'm right in saying that no-one has ever been ticketed for entering an ASL?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    W1 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

Recent news story that made me think of it...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 326643.stm

A Scotland Yard spokesman said it is not an offence to give false information to police during a stop and search unless one is under arrest.

"The point of stop and search is not to ascertain your details but to undertake a search," he said.

According to the Home Office website, "you don't have to give your name, address or date of birth to the police if you're stopped and searched unless you're being reported for an offence."
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461

Where's Spen when you need him:

- There is no specific offence regarding the driver stopping a motor vehicle in the ASL reservoir area; and
    - The driver of a motor vehicle, or rider of a bicycle for that matter, has not committed an offence providing they stop behind the second stop line where an ASL is provided.

Bob
  • beverick
    dhope wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

A Scotland Yard spokesman said it is not an offence to give false information to police during a stop and search unless one is under arrest.

"The point of stop and search is not to ascertain your details but to undertake a search," he said.

According to the Home Office website, "you don't have to give your name, address or date of birth to the police if you're stopped and searched unless you're being reported for an offence."

Not a specific offence but you could be charged with obstructing a police officer / wasting police time.

Bob
  • W1
    dhope wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

Very interesting, many thanks.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Limburger wrote:

++1
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

IF that is correct re the police, then the LCC should be considering a Judicial Review of that decision as the policy is clearly ultra vires.

It is not for the police to decide whether penalties are appropriate or not.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    spen666 wrote:

IF that is correct re the police, then the LCC should be considering a Judicial Review of that decision as the policy is clearly ultra vires.

while you're right the police can quite easily be looking the other way....

I for one have certainly crossed the white line for the convienience of resting against some barrier or somesuch as long as I don't impinge on the jct or the ped crossing iteself... The police have been near when I've done this and there's no reaction, it works both ways (I guess they were looking somewhere else)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spen666
    dhope wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

complete and total nonsense

It is an offence to obstruct a police officer acting in the course of his duty.

If the officer has lawfully stopped you, then lying to him would amout to obstruction, if not even to peverting the course of justice (depends on facts)

Twittering @spen_666
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    spen666 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Rich_E wrote:

complete and total nonsense

It is an offence to obstruct a police officer acting in the course of his duty.

If the officer has lawfully stopped you, then lying to him would amout to obstruction, if not even to peverting the course of justice (depends on facts)

AFAIK, you don't have to provide them with your details, by lying to them is a different kettle of fish.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • beverick
    spen666 wrote:

Spen, you above others should know that this is nonsense. There is no specific offence covering motor vehicles entering the reservoir area associated with an ASL.

Bob
  • jibberish
    jibberish Posts: 151
    Wow - thanks to everyone for replying - I certainly wasn't expecting this many replies.

I get annoyed with the cars in the ASL (bike) zone. I think it's the way the get really belligerent when you point out that they shouldn't be there.
  • spen666
    beverick wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Spen, you above others should know that this is nonsense. There is no specific offence covering motor vehicles entering the reservoir area associated with an ASL.

Bob

Oh dear Bob, you should know there is the offence of failing to stop at a traffic signal.

motor vehicles are required to stop on a red traffic light behind the first stop line

I think you will find the offence is contrary to Regulation 36 of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002
    36(1) The significance of the light signals prescribed by regulations 33, 34 and 35 shall be as follows -

Red signal
    (a) the red signal shall convey the prohibition that vehicular traffic shall not proceed beyond the stop line. However, this is subject to:

sub-paragraph (b); and,
    where the red signal is shown at the same time as the green arrow signal, to sub-paragraphs (f) and (g),
    Exceptions to stopping at red or red/amber signal

(b) when a vehicle is being used for

fire brigade,
    ambulance,
    bomb or explosive disposal,
    national blood service or
    police purposes
    and the observance of the prohibition conveyed by the red signal in accordance with sub-paragraph (a) would be likely to hinder the use of that vehicle for the purpose for which it is being used, then sub-paragraph (a) shall not apply to the vehicle, and the red signal shall convey the prohibition that that vehicle shall not proceed beyond the stop line in a manner or at a time likely to endanger any person or to cause the driver of any vehicle proceeding in accordance with the indications of light signals operating in association with the signals displaying the red signal to change its speed or course in order to avoid an accident;

That seems to be specific enough for me and for the courts. Try DPP v Harris for more on the stop line and red traffic lights

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    Clever Pun wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

while you're right the police can quite easily be looking the other way....

I for one have certainly crossed the white line for the convienience of resting against some barrier or somesuch as long as I don't impinge on the jct or the ped crossing iteself... The police have been near when I've done this and there's no reaction, it works both ways (I guess they were looking somewhere else)

Turning a blind eye is different from having a policy decision to ignore offences

Twittering @spen_666
  • Headhuunter
    W1 wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

I agree with you - but technically as the law stands they are the same offence. And it's not for the police to decide what offences they simply won't prosecute as they see the penalty as unfair - that's a job for Parliament.

I think I'm right in saying that no-one has ever been ticketed for entering an ASL?

Exactly. It's not up to the police to decide which laws they enforce and which they don't. It's irrelevant what they find fair and unfair just as it's irrelevant that I might think it's unfair that I might be fined anything at all for RLJ-ing.

I sent the email from the police with this statement in it to my local councillor who forwarded it to someone on the London Assembly who raised it with the police, she received some wishy washy back pedalling statement from the Police which she forwarded to me...
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    spen666 wrote:
    beverick wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Bob

Oh dear Bob, you should know there is the offence of failing to stop at a traffic signal.

motor vehicles are required to stop on a red traffic light behind the first stop line

Oh Dog, I can't believe I'm getting drawn into this...

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Beverick was making the point that there is no specific offence for entering an ASL reservoir that is separate and distinct from failure-to-stop-at-a-red-light. That is to say, he understands that entering the ASL area is an technically and offense under the law you have quoted, but it is not an offense in and of itself, and appears in practice to be treated differently to going entirely through a red stop light at the discretion of Police forces.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

Exactly. It's not up to the police to decide which laws they enforce and which they don't. It's irrelevant what they find fair and unfair just as it's irrelevant that I might think it's unfair that I might be fined anything at all for RLJ-ing.

I sent the email from the police with this statement in it to my local councillor who forwarded it to someone on the London Assembly who raised it with the police, she received some wishy washy back pedalling statement from the Police which she forwarded to me...

It would be fascinating to see what they said. Whilst I doubt you'd want to scan even redacted copies and put them on the web, if you could quote some of the "highlights" from the e-mail and their reply it would be most interesting...