SPD pedals

2»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    It might not be in a few weeks time, it might be years from now. Generally it'll hurt your pride more than anything else, as clipless moments tend to happen when you are travelling very (too) slowly, forget to unclip, and just topple over.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I had a moment within 3 minutes of fitting them. I landed on my elbow too, that hurt.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I had a moment within 3 minutes of fitting them. I landed on my elbow too, that hurt.

Oh well, at least you got it over with. I once rolled right over, lifting the bike off the ground, still attached to my feet - needed to slacken off the tension a bit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    rjsterry wrote:
    It might not be in a few weeks time, it might be years from now. Generally it'll hurt your pride more than anything else, as clipless moments tend to happen when you are travelling very (too) slowly, forget to unclip, and just topple over.

+100 on the too slowly bit. I usually commute on my flat-pedalled hybrid, but decided to give my road bike an outing today as (a) it was sunny for once (b) I have a nice new saddle to try out and (c) I wanted to rub a kn*b of a fixie's face in it for once.....

BIG mistake. I'm used to cycling out on the road for ages without having to stop, so completely underestimated the 'traffic light effect'. First fall since I too was about 7, and of course it had to be right beside a double-deck bus. Upside down on the pavement like a stranded turtle, legs akimbo with the bike on top of me - much to the amusement of the passengers on the bus. Got a painful bit of road rash to add to the bruised ego. :oops:

My advice - don't commute in SPD-SL's unless there's no other option :!:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    Touch wood I haven't had a single fall commuting (or normal riding) using my spd's. I have the double sided shimano M520's.

Only time I came close was my own stupid fault as was gawping at something as I approached a junction on a windy day. I always unclip my right foot as I came to a halt but for some reason I tried to stay upright and the wind blew me left. Left foot clipped in....arm came out expecting to fall. Got to about 45 degrees but managed to unclip at last second.

As other's have said it's only at really slow speed it gets dicey. As long as you are sensible and unclip a foot before you come to a halt there shouldn't be a problem.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Only time I came close was my own stupid fault as was gawping at something as I approached a junction
    Yep I sometimes gawp at them "somethings" too when the sun is shining. :shock: :wink: Huge distraction.
  • Rothsay
    Rothsay Posts: 64
    Until three weeks ago I had clips - couldn't get a foot out dismounting and ended up on my back with the bike on top, foot still trapped. My back is still recovering - but the bikes ok :lol:

Seriously, go for SPDs, I will be!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've been on SPD's for about a year now, 2 comedy moments on the lawn, none on the road, although one near miss when following the wife, she'd slowed to about 2mph and then suddenly stopped, i stopped and was desperately trying to unclip in time before I fell (I did!).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Now's not the best time of year, but you want to find a wet muddy field, and ride around it practising to unclip about, oh, 100 times.

The wet mud is there to cushion the fall.

You *will* have a sideways spill. Resign yourself to it. It will happed with clipless or clips. It's inevitable.

The way it will happen is this: sensory overload. You'll roll up to a give way. You'll be looking to turn left, and so not stop. But there'll be a ped stepping off the kerb to your left, spoiling yout line. And one coming from the right, closing the gap. And a car on the major road, making you think twice about darting between the peds into the path of the car. So you won't know whether to go or stop.

The result is likely to be that you'll come to halt, but without the ability to trackstand and without the spare brain capacity to remember "UNCLIP!". And then you'll keel over sideways.

Relax. It's not that painful. And it's happened to all of us.

ETA: another variant to to unclip on (say) the right, but then find you weight is over the l/hand side of the top tube. I did that a few years ago, and a nice lady came to ask if I was ok. I think she thought I'd had a stroke.

A stroke would have been less embarrassing.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A