SPD pedals

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
The Roadie I will be getting has strapped pedals, I fear my feet will get caught up and I will go tits up.

Are SPD pedals easier or harder to get your foot out of?

Also where's the best place to get cheap SPD shoes?
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I find SPD's much easier.

I struggled to get my feet in the straps, and get them out, and get any benefit from them - not used them in many many years mind so maybe they are better now :p

SPD's are easy to unclip. When you're learning on them you can adjust them - at their loosest you might struggle to stay clipped in when you pull up, and will barely have to angle your foot to unclip. Not sure where to get them - wiggle are usually cheapest but you might be better of trying them on.
  • Cool

I think I'll get the pedals when I get the bike and buy the shoes before I pick up the bike. I may as well ride it home. 8)
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Maybe get the shoes and pedals asap and try them on a hack so you don't scratch your new bike on it's maiden voyage. :twisted:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Big recent post on this very topic. Look beyond your nose young grasshopper and you will find the answers you seek.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm happy with either SPDs or SPD-SLs. The former are probably better for commuting if you have to put your foot down a lot due to lights etc.

Check out the DHB range on Wiggle. Good value.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Big recent post on this very topic. Look beyond your nose young grasshopper and you will find the answers you seek.

Yes Sensai.. wax on wax off.

I am crap at doing searches I will admit.

I got the pedals at Wiggle £20 Shimano PD-M520 Pedals. Bargain probably.

If I get some shoes now too I will fit them to my Hybrid as Merkin suggests, although it is only 3 months old rather than a hack.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Big recent post on this very topic. Look beyond your nose young grasshopper and you will find the answers you seek.

Yes Sensai.. wax on wax off.

I am crap at doing searches I will admit.

I got the pedals at Wiggle £20 Shimano PD-M520 Pedals. Bargain probably.

If I get some shoes now too I will fit them to my Hybrid as Merkin suggests, although it is only 3 months old rather than a hack.

I have those pedals. Very good.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I take it these will fit the egg beaters I just purchased?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I used toe clips ages ago on my first road bike then after a few years riding a BSO on flat pedals I got a road bike again and moved onto SPD-SLs. I think the gap between using toe clips and going clipless helped me unlearn, but clipless is fine in an accident and I would say its safer.

I would say practice on your hack, practice away from traffic and never look back.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Experience suggests that SPDs unclip in a crash, whereas toe clips might not.

Andy
  • Well I ordered the shoes too. I should have them on my hybrid next week.

I bet these SPD pedals are a pig to use without the shoes.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Yeah, I use M520s too and have no complaints (other than the threads going far too easily on the cleat screws). Shoe-wise, all you need to consider is if you will want to walk in them or not.
  • Well I ordered the shoes too.
    How did you choose the shoe size?

I went by the table on the shop. Size 9 = 44, although I normally get a 43
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick

Yep. It seems cycling shoes come up small, usually. Make sure you are comfortable in them before getting to the point you can't return them.

Yep. It seems cycling shoes come up small, usually. Make sure you are comfortable in them before getting to the point you can't return them.

Will do :wink:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick

Will do :wink:
    I've got these nice eggs I can teach you to suck, as well ...

:wink:
  • :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I used clips for 15 years and went over to SPDs a few months ago, I find the SPD's are easier to unclip / get your foot out off but not as easy to get back into / clip but that's probably still a practice issue.
  • snailracer wrote:

They look better than what comes with the bike but Wiggle has already processed my order :D

This is the second time I have used Wiggle and I have to say they do seem prompt with their deliveries.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    Ditto for the shimmano M520's good pedal for the money.
    I'm using "DHB M1" shoes from Wiggle. Again good value for money
  • Well the pedals and shoes arrived and I fitted them.
    The shoes are snug like footy boots but nice and airy.

I decided to take peoples advice and practice on a field so off I went to the local village park. I thought I would just attach one cleat to make pedalling a bit easier. Bad idea!

I got to a corner in the road, went to stop to take a turn and over balanced on the clipped in side. Landed on my elbow. :oops:

After some cursing and explaining to a watching neighbour what was going on, don't think he understood, I carried on to the park, more carefully.

I had to adjust the angle of the cleats so my feet were in a comfy position and this also made it easier to release the pedals. I rode round until the cricketers wanted to start playing again and rode home with no more falling over.

I have the pedals set to easy release but I can still pull up on them when powering the bike.

I may buy elbow pads for a couple of weeks though :lol:

I think that's the first time I have fallen off a bike since I was 7.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Rode in to work today with them and I didn't fall off! Hurahh

I think I need to raise my seat a bit though, as I had been pedalling with the arch of my foot and now my leeg is still quite bent at the bottom of the stroke.

Also my feet were numb. I wore the shoes around the house for an hour and this didn't happen. Could my ankles be at the wong angle or something?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Rode in to work today with them and I didn't fall off! Hurahh

I think I need to raise my seat a bit though, as I had been pedalling with the arch of my foot and now my leeg is still quite bent at the bottom of the stroke.

Also my feet were numb. I wore the shoes around the house for an hour and this didn't happen. Could my ankles be at the wong angle or something?

Pedalling with the arch of your foot would effectively shorten your leg as well as being WRONGER THAN WRONG (sorry, a bit of a pet hate of mine. Had it drilled into me as a child when I learn to ride), so yes, you might need to raise the saddle slightly.

Cycling doesn't actually encourage circulation in your feet that much, so if you do the shoes up a wee bit too tight (very easy to do), it can cause this. Try loosening the straps/laces a smidge.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I'll do that, Thanks.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    The 'clipless moment' normally happens a few weeks in, once you have got used to them and forget that you are using them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    There you go, something to look forward to in a few weeks time, just when you least expect it. :wink:
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    What shoes did you get?
  • I cannot wait to fall over in a few weeks time :lol:

I got the DHB £40 shoes. They are very sturdy.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick