Can a short commute be used for training?

gllewellyn
gllewellyn Posts: 113
I've recently changed job, going from a 50 mile drive each way to a flat 5 mile cycle each way - much nicer!

Anyway, due to family commitments etc, it's very difficult to get a structured training program in, so I was wondering can I use my daily commute in a structured training way?

Can I do things such as have an alternating fast day, slow day or trying to work to specific HR zones, etc, or is 5 flat miles (in flowing traffic) just too short to do anything really productive other than just keeping me fit?

I want to basically get fitter and faster (for sportives mainly), but realise that this distance is suited more to a warm-up than structured training...

All suggestions welcome!
thanks

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    can you not leave earlier, take a few detours and ride for longer...??
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    You can certainly use the commute as training, but you will need to mix it up a bit with longer commutes, 10 miles a day will not be of great help.

I have a 7 mile commute, most of the time, going to work is a short recovery paced ride, then on the way home, I do a mixture of 1, 2 or 3 hours rides at differing intensities.
  • gllewellyn
    gllewellyn Posts: 113
    can you not leave earlier, take a few detours and ride for longer...??
    That is an option - unfortunately, where I live there are no nice routes very close that I could incorporate into the commute, and more cycling through traffic is not very appealing!
    However, I have thought about taking some long routes home to take in some of the New Forest (I work in Bournemouth)...

But I'm keen to know how I can use my daily commute which I have to do everyday to best effect...?
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html

Never even considered it myself, but google tabata.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    SheffSimon wrote:

This is not such a good idea for riding in traffic. To do Tabata training properly, the intervals have to be your absolute max, which is going to have you veering all over the road.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    gllewellyn wrote:
    or is 5 flat miles (in flowing traffic) just too short to do anything really productive other than just keeping me fit?
    thanks

You can certainly ''keep fit'' to a certain extent doing 5 miles twice a day at a reasonable intensity - the obvious option would be to lengthen your commute - you can get plenty (for a new/novice rider) out of a 10-15 miler twice a day (again at a decent intensity). For Sportives though , ideally, you might want to do a few hilly 50-60 milers in the run up to your event.
  • sheffsimon
    SheffSimon wrote:

This is not such a good idea for riding in traffic. To do Tabata training properly, the intervals have to be your absolute max, which is going to have you veering all over the road.

:?: Cant you sprint in a straight line bobtbuilder. :?:
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    I think he was referring to the fact that a proper all out effort will make you dangerously unsteady on a public road...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • sheffsimon
    Dodger747 wrote:
    I think he was referring to the fact that a proper all out effort will make you dangerously unsteady on a public road...

I made a proper all out effort at the finish of a race on Thursday, managed to sprint in a straight line without being dangerously unsteady.
  • lukasran
    lukasran Posts: 53
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Dodger747 wrote:

I made a proper all out effort at the finish of a race on Thursday, managed to sprint in a straight line without being dangerously unsteady.

congratulations, but im sure he means when you have finished your all out effort and become lightheaded, dizzy and dangerously unsteady.
  • sheffsimon
    lukasran wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Dodger747 wrote:

congratulations, but im sure he means when you have finished your all out effort and become lightheaded, dizzy and dangerously unsteady.

Nope, wasnt a problem, didnt knock anybody off and wasnt weaving around after finish.

Anyway, as with most things, its up to the OP to either give it a try or decide its not for them. My experience counts for nowt in terms of how they ride a bike, twas merely a suggestion of a training method.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    could use it for short high intensity sprint training, recover at traffic lights, just keep it to an intensity you can repeat without the above mentioned stuff happening.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    5 miles or 20 minutes riding isn't really good for anything IMO.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Dodger747 wrote:

Well I was behind you and you looked dangerously unsteady to me. I suggest in the next race you just hang off the back and don't finish ahead of me :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • sheffsimon
    amaferanga wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Dodger747 wrote:

Well I was behind you and you looked dangerously unsteady to me. I suggest in the next race you just hang off the back and don't finish ahead of me :wink:

:)
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I was having a similar discussion on the SCR forum last week (looking for hills on the commute home). And unfortunately the answer was the one I had been avoiding (sub consciously at least) and that is to use the commute as a warm up and then get on the Turbo once home.
    I know, I know, I hate them too but it was the only realistic solution. Sorry :(
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    amaferanga wrote:
    I don't think this is true. By itself it's obviously not going to get you race fit, or allow you to ride sportives in quick times, but it does give you a nice base, will help you lose weight if you're new to cycling and keeps you comfortable on the bike.

I have a similar distance commute, and find with additional long rides, and the odd turbo session I'm able to keep myself cycle-fit for triathlons. Did a 92km route of a half ironman distance tri at a 19.5mph average off the back of a training plan that was built on top of my commute. Hardly a world beating time, but I was satisfied with the result.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    lukasran wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Dodger747 wrote:

Indeed, having done a couple of tabata sessions [why would you want to do any more!], I would not like to be anywhere near another vehicle or need to the ability to balance! Doing the interval on a public road is just asking for trouble imo. However, if you can manage it, then chapeau!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Graeme_S wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    I don't think this is true. By itself it's obviously not going to get you race fit, or allow you to ride sportives in quick times, but it does give you a nice base, will help you lose weight if you're new to cycling and keeps you comfortable on the bike.

I have a similar distance commute, and find with additional long rides, and the odd turbo session I'm able to keep myself cycle-fit for triathlons. Did a 92km route of a half ironman distance tri at a 19.5mph average off the back of a training plan that was built on top of my commute. Hardly a world beating time, but I was satisfied with the result.

+1 I agree with this. 5 miles on the bike is better than sitting in a car etc.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I have a 3.5 mile commute, loaded up with pannier and sometimes a kitbag strapped to the top and it has made me a lot quicker up hills, I do it as pretty much a flatout sprint the whole way and it has made a huge difference, not that I was that quick to begin with. Mixed with longer MTB rides during the weekends and the odd 30-50 mile road rides I am nearly as quick as a mate at school who does 20 mile training rides every day or two and longer ones on the weekends.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • if your commute is relatively flat, how about doing it fixed gear?

i bought a dirt-cheap fixed gear hack bike from ebay for exactly this reason.

now, even though my commute isn't long or hard enough to be considered a proper training ride, at least i get to improve my pedalling technique (allegedly).