Nicholas Roche - cheap shot

Tim Farr
Tim Farr Posts: 665
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Today Nicholas Roche, and a Cofidis rider, launched attacks towards the end of the stage to Gap; and they were successful with GC contender Roche gaining 1' 21" on rival GC contenders. A successful move you would think. However this was not a normal racing day; it was a day on which the peleton had collectively decided to call a racing truce. Consequently noone raced Roche and he gained an uncontested 1' 21". In boxing parlance - it was a cheap shot.

Although no rules were broken I would think that his actions would not have best pleased his rivals and he could well have stirred up opposition in future stages and races. I remember reading that Tom Simpson broke some umwritten rule that he was aware of - subsequently in Paris - Nice rivals took an opportunity to ruin his day the moral being , 'what goes around comes around'.

Roche's actions are surprising given that Stephen Roche is a stickler for following protocol in pro racing and having 'respect' for the race, fellow riders, the public etc etc
T Farr

Comments

• Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    Haven't watched today. Why have they chosen not to race today?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Did everyone in the peleton vote on this 'racing truce'?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    You can't just decide to take the day off. If Alberto had attacked I'm sure he would be followed.

Over three weeks you have to gain time where you can, Roche did that today, fair play to him
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    No it's not, it's good opportunism.

Who called a truce? How did they decide? Was there a vote? Did they ask Roche?

I doubt there was a truce as you say. It was just no team could be bothered to chase.

The only people who will be upset with Roche will be those who are kicking themselves for not thinking of doing it themselves.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Tim Farr wrote:
    Today Nicholas Roche, and a Cofidis rider, launched attacks towards the end of the stage to Gap; and they were successful with GC contender Roche gaining 1' 21" on rival GC contenders. A successful move you would think. However this was not a normal racing day; it was a day on which the peloton had collectively decided to call a racing truce. Consequently noone raced Roche and he gained an uncontested 1' 21". In boxing parlance - it was a cheap shot.

Although no rules were broken I would think that his actions would not have best pleased his rivals and he could well have stirred up opposition in future stages and races. I remember reading that Tom Simpson broke some umwritten rule that he was aware of - subsequently in Paris - Nice rivals took an opportunity to ruin his day the moral being , 'what goes around comes around'.

Roche's actions are surprising given that Stephen Roche is a stickler for following protocol in pro racing and having 'respect' for the race, fellow riders, the public etc etc

Complete and utter crap. If they didn't want him to get away they should have chased him down. It was a good move. They are racing cyclists yet today they wanted to ride it like a Sunday club run and to be honest no-one seemed bothered by the two riders going away.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Tim Farr wrote:
    However this was not a normal racing day; it was a day on which the peloton had collectively decided to call a racing truce.

Apparently not everyone agreed.

Tim Farr wrote:

I seem to recall Roche was critical of the peleton following the events of stage 2. Refusing to race shows a much greater lack of respect for both the race and the public.
  • Pross
    Who exactly decides a stage it is a truce anyway? What if Contador had decided to ride off, would everyone have just shrugged their shoulders and said we ain't racing today it's too hot and hilly.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    but there was a 4 man breakway that was joined by 2 other escapees, if there was a truce surely the peloton would have made tis clear afetr the 2 went. Goodon you roche for having the balls to treat the stage with respect on a day that means a lot our froggy chooms.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Yep, and get some coverage for his French sponsor at the same time which is ultimately how the sport survives.
  • Tim Farr wrote:
    Today Nicholas Roche, and a Cofidis rider, launched attacks towards the end of the stage to Gap; and they were successful with GC contender Roche gaining 1' 21" on rival GC contenders. A successful move you would think. However this was not a normal racing day; it was a day on which the peloton had collectively decided to call a racing truce. Consequently noone raced Roche and he gained an uncontested 1' 21". In boxing parlance - it was a cheap shot.

well done nicholas if the above is true
    how many bloody "truces" can they have in a tour and if there was one today,what on earth for?regarding his dad,he was totally scathing of cancellaras shenanigans on stage two which were,lets face it,merely delaying tactics to get andy and frank back to the peleton,hopw stupid were the rest of them to fall for that.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Tim Farr wrote:

Interesting then that Stephen Roche said on Eurosport he'd discussed this very tactic with Nicholas this morning before the stage started and had suggested it would be a good place to take a minute or so back if a big break had gone up the road and had been allowed leeway to win the stage.

His only concern was that he'd warned Nicholas that he shouldn't attack if the sprinters were still in the group as he feared they'd chase him down because of the green points situation and the younger Roche would have wasted energy. As it turns out they didn't and he gained time.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    To suggest Stephen Roche was some paragon of virtue when it came to the unwritten rules of racing is hysterical. Just ask Jean Francois Bernard.
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    There was no such thing as a truce, most teams just didn't care to chase. Also who are his "rivals"? The epic battle for 16th place in GC?
  • Bernardus wrote:
    There was no such thing as a truce, most teams just didn't care to chase. Also who are his "rivals"? The epic battle for 16th place in GC?

Well you have to admit - it'd be pretty funny if he beat 1 million pound man Bradley Wiggins.

I'm personally sick of all these go slow's and truces. I don't understand why the teams that didn't bury themselves don't go on the offensive. If teams want to burn themselves up on one day - then they should be forced to pay for it.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    I think Roche was ok to do what he did but I still think top 15 is going to be very hard and top 10 almost impossible
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • carbotanium
    carbotanium Posts: 12
    edited July 2010
    [
    quote="Tim Farr"]

SR was never a stickler for respect ..............some examples : doing over team-mate Vinsentini in the 87 Giro , missing the start of the Tdf team timetrial when he was at Tonton Tapis , turning the Tdf presentation in Dublin into an appreciation festival of all things Roche much to the dismay of other Irish stars present like Kelly and Earley , the accrimonious divorce from his wife Lydia .He apparently caused contract problems with almost every team he had dealings with .To cap it all there are the links with Conconi in Italy at the end of his career .

Saint Stephen he ain't
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    And silly me, I could have sworn it was a bike race.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Thought it was a good move - pity nobody tried something on one of those descents too.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    But he's half French anyway, and thus he has dispensation to try whatever he wanted today.

Good on him for actually racing- I'm fed-up with all these go-slows, neutralised for no reason races and so on.
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    All Hail the Greatest/Weakest race ever. I'm as tired of this guff as I am of the 'racing'...

Stone me, but at least there was action in the drug era...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Tim Farr wrote:

Guess what? If they really had a problme with it, they'd have chased him down. That's what Lance, Hinault, Merckx and Anquetil all did when they were the Patron. (Merckx, I think, had the best one, when he found out one of his teammates was signing with another team so he chased him down and obliterated him, and the peleton, on the stage)
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    "Why not?" says Roche to attacking his Tour rivals
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ivals.html
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Nothing wrong with what Roche did, and I doubt any rival teams are going to get worked up enough about a minute odd.
    More likely the immediate rival individuals, like Rogers, are kicking themselves they didn't go with. I don't think the top GC contenders would have bothered upping the pace if he'd gone too.

As for "the peloton had collectively decided to call a racing truce", I understood this wish really only came from Saxo-Bank, although I imagine BMC might have soon seconded it.
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    "Oh no, Roche is 1min plus up the road, however we can't put our teams to chase as the unwritten rule is No racing today". They just couldn't be bothered chasing him down, they had 13 odd km to do so and didnt.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Its a race, what do you want him to do?

Did I miss the press release detailing that Saxo get to decide when the racing is on or not?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Certainly some teams will be annoyed that he sneaked away but that's how the race works, you need to be vigilant at all times. Whilst it was intelligent, if anything Roche's move was a sign of weakness, he'll probably get a kicking in the Pyrenees.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I want to spend a day in Tim Farr's world...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    morstar wrote:
    And silly me, I could have sworn it was a bike race.

+1

If others can't be arsed racing then that's their problem.
    It is not a club run.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Kléber wrote:
    Certainly some teams will be annoyed that he sneaked away but that's how the race works, you need to be vigilant at all times. Whilst it was intelligent, if anything Roche's move was a sign of weakness, he'll probably get a kicking in the Pyrenees.

More a recognition of his own limitations. He knows he'll always lose time in the high mountains, so he needs to grab what he can when he can. If the others don't like it, they can chase him down.

Did Moreau and Popovych also break the truce with their late attacks?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    Tim Farr wrote:
    However this was not a normal racing day; it was a day on which the peloton had collectively decided to call a racing truce.

Where's your evidence for this then, Tim? Quotes from whom? Or is it just your opinion?
    Sure, the peloton decided to take it easier yesterday, but call a truce? Don't think so...