Bendy bike for benders

2»

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    "Never buy anything that looks like a bike from anyone with a beard".....thats what my bike selling bearded grandma used to say.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    guilliano wrote:
    As for being road legal.... if it's a fixie it needs no brakes to be allowed on the road surely?

Needs a front brake even if it has a rear fixed sprocket.

However, it looks as if it's a got a rear derailleur from the first photo above. :shock:
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    White Line wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    I didn't write that!
    Whoops! Seems I deleted the wrong part when I copy and pasted the whole post. :oops: Fixed now. :)

No worries :wink:
    White Line wrote:
    Also, the designer is clearly not a cyclist. Look at that saddle height. Plus, everybody knows that the bars shouldn't be that wide on such a bike. :roll:

Agree 100%
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Lillywhite wrote:
    However, it looks as if it's a got a rear derailleur from the first photo above. :shock:

Chain tensioner.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    edited July 2010
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Chain tensioner.

Havn't come across one of those. :oops:

But then I've never been into single speed MTB or BMX. Apparently cannot be used with a fixed gear system when requires you to stamp on the pedals to slow down. :wink:
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Lillywhite wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Chain tensioner.

Havn't come across one of those. :oops:

Used on singlespeed or hub geared bikes with vertical dropouts
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Crapaud wrote:
    Why? What's wrong with it? Plenty of things fail, eventually, through fatigue / wear.

Sorry fella, I was talking about the brake / gear cable comment.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Monkeypump wrote:
    I'm not sure there's a difference.
    It's a design project, part of his course, it's essentially an exam. I'm sure that we've all sat exams that bear no relevance to the real world.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    MattC59 wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    It's a design project, part of his course, it's essentially an exam. I'm sure that we've all sat exams that bear no relevance to the real world.

Sometimes I think this forum has no relevance to the real world :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

Sometimes I think this forum has no relevance to the real world :D

Neither does the vuvuzela but, let's face it, we've all heard it. :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Surely part of being assessed on a project like this would be to identify potential problems and state how you would overcome them? It's usually the sort of thing a lecturer likes to see to boost a basic pass to a good pass. Also, surely you should identify a requirement for a product? If going into design R&D funding is tight and you wouldn't be thanked for coming up with a concept with little or no end users, it should be part of a design course to know that.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I think it's an interesting alternative approach.
    Clearly a bit of a Marmite concept from the comments so far...

Baffling how several posters have written it off already, based on one picture :?

"theres also plenty of 26 inch wheelers that hinge already that are goint to be more stable in use"

"I wouldn't want to be pelting downhill when the cable - as it must inevitavly do - snaps!"

Seems to be a lot of people who are suddenly experts in something they've never ever seen before :wink:

baffling how some people think I didn't click on the link and read the article :?

I've never ever seen the inside of an erupting volcano but I'm pretty sure that it'll be hot :wink:

the bendy bit is a cable and ratchet mechanism that is alternately stretched taut then relaxed (and bent.)

much the same as brake and gear cables and chains, all of which stretch, stress, bend & fray needing regular tweaking, attention and relatively frequent replacement - many times over the life of a frame.

to make the vast majority of the frame out of something that has less shelf life than a frame........