Cost of a Tour de France bicycle please?

2»

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    You have to remember one thing, money is relative to your own mind. £5k for a pro-level bike is a huge fortune to most cyclists, bit absolutely nothing when you think that your new Ford Focus car will lose that amount in depreciation in it's first year!.

I am still amazed people will accept losing 50% depreciation on a car, but are unwilling to buy a decent bike that'll last 10+ years.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    one of the good things the UCI want to do, they had to do something good once, was to make sure the bikes the pros ride can be bought by the general public. They were even thinking of banning Di2 as they thought it was too expensive for the public.

The bike prices does seem to have gone up in the last year though, my Madone 4.7 was £1700 when I bought but but I think it is over 2k now for the latest one.

Of course you could try riding for a pro tour team then you get a few of them for free :D
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    dilemna wrote:
    All the gear no idea springs to mind.

Eh? Who?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buckled Rims -

Sure a bike would last 10 years, but would you want to be riding round on in 10 years later ? We dont usually wear bikes out, rather we go out and buy a prettier one.

And would a 5k bike last a longer or shorter time than say one costing a third of it ?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    As an aside, how many bikes do they usually take to the Tour for each rider?

I saw the most expensive roof rack ever on Friday with the Rapha team car. 8 team bikes with Dura Ace wheels, very nice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You have to remember one thing, money is relative to your own mind. £5k for a pro-level bike is a huge fortune to most cyclists, bit absolutely nothing when you think that your new Ford Focus car will lose that amount in depreciation in it's first year!.

I am still amazed people will accept losing 50% depreciation on a car, but are unwilling to buy a decent bike that'll last 10+ years.

Bicycle is considerably less practical when it comes to luggage/distance.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Pokerface wrote:
    .....I have the same bike as Thor Hushold.......

I bet he's annoyed that you have his bike. :shock: :wink:
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Pross wrote:
    As an aside, how many bikes do they usually take to the Tour for each rider?

I saw the most expensive roof rack ever on Friday with the Rapha team car. 8 team bikes with Dura Ace wheels, very nice.

Dunno, but I think you need a few pairs of wheels?

4787098956_75a6d5583c_b.jpg
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Lillywhite wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    .....I have the same bike as Thor Hushold.......

I bet he's annoyed that you have his bike. :shock: :wink:

Naw - they gave him a nice green one instead now.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ag2r have those Reynolds wheels too.

You can get a bike for £5k, no problem but some are more expensive. A Saxo or Astana bike with Specialized frame and SRAM's under £5k.

The problem today is that most team bikes can be too light for the UCI rules which require a bike to be at least 6.8kg in weight. So riders add back weight with power meters and use deep section wheels, which are aero too.