Cost of a Tour de France bicycle please?

hackop
hackop Posts: 5
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Does anyone know how much it would cost for a bike which is to be ridden in the Tour de France please?

Comments

• jpb08
    jpb08 Posts: 20
    About 5K should do the job.....
    Synapse SL Liquigas, Eddy Mercxx Flyer, Fondriest Evo Sat, Giant XTC, MKM Track. Merida Carbon team Multivan flx, Kinesis HT....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you mean - how much would it cost you to buy a bike that is the same as the ones they ride? - between £5000 and £8000 depending on the options and make.

But all the bikes and wheels and equipment are provided to the teams for free by equipment sponsors.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    All price in '000 euros

AG2R: 7.5
    Astana: 9
    Caisse: 11
    Euskatel: 6.3
    FDJ: 9
    Garmin: 9
    Lampre: 9
    Liquigas: 10
    Omega: 5.3
    Quick Step: 8
    Rabobank: 8
    Saxo: 9
    HTC: 10
    Katusha: 7
    Milram: 7.6
    RadioShack: 7.9
    Sky: 13
    Bbox: 7.5
    BMC: 6.3
    Cofidis: 7.5
    Saur-Sojasun: 8.5
    Vacansoleil: 5

Source: Le Cycle; Mars 2010 issue
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    All price in '000 euros

Although I know a bloke who knows a bloke who can get you one a bit cheaper. Cash only. :wink:

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Add another £100k for the entry fee plus a few million in sponsorship to get yourself on the ProTour too as well as the cost of a bike.

Mind you there's an Irish guy I've heard who can probably get you in for a bit less - unmarked envelopes with non-sequential, used notes address to Pat, UCI, Aigle, Switzerland should get you in.. :lol:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pokerface
    Those prices look highly inflated and based on MSRP of every component (including separate wheels, etc), but certainly in the ballpark of what you would expect to pay to get one for yourself.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    According to Landis, the cost of whatever drugs/blood replacements it paid for when they sold on E-Bay...
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    They are a lot of money, but have you ever held one of these bikes? Boy oh boy are they light and they do make you go a lot quicker. :shock:
  • Pokerface
    Teach wrote:
    They are a lot of money, but have you ever held one of these bikes? Boy oh boy are they light and they do make you go a lot quicker. :shock:

6.8KG. The same as my bike. But until I put a motor in mine I won't be going anywhere as fast as they do!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's all relative.

No-one's surprised how much F1 cars cost.

Proof if any that you pay a lot for certain brands that make minimal difference though, with the Caisse bike almost double the Omega bike.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    About £300 in Halfords
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Teach wrote:

Ironically a lot of the time they have to ensure they hit the minimum weight limit, my bike is lighter than the bikes the pros use and it's not top of the range or owt...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    jpb08 wrote:

No way. The bikes they ride might cost $5000 with the basic components but they've all got things such as Lightweight wheels ($10,000 for the pair), ceramic BB, power meters, hollow cranks, etc. Their bikes are more like $15,000-$20,000 for the leaders.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    donrhummy wrote:
    jpb08 wrote:

No way. The bikes they ride might cost $5000 with the basic components but they've all got things such as Lightweight wheels ($10,000 for the pair), ceramic BB, power meters, hollow cranks, etc. Their bikes are more like $15,000-$20,000 for the leaders.

My understanding was that astana used bog standard 2010 trek madone 6.9's for last years tour

Apart from custom paint obvioulsy

According to the cycling plus Tour magazine
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    The SRM power meter is something like £3000 on top of the cost of the bike.

I read somewhere Dan Martin doesn't use one as he prefers to gauge his performance on how his body is feeling. Makes more sense to me, especially since I can't afford one of the expensive bikes, let alone a bloody power meter!
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    carrock wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    jpb08 wrote:

My understanding was that astana used bog standard 2010 trek madone 6.9's for last years tour

Contador used $10,000 Lightweight wheels on his bike. There was a huge thing about how Lance got his paid for by the team but Contador had to pay for his out of his own pocket.
  • hackop
    hackop Posts: 5
    Thank you all for your replies. Think I'll stick to my bus pass for now or failing that - my computer.
  • Pokerface
    donrhummy wrote:
    jpb08 wrote:

5K was £5K - that's 5 thousand POUNDS. Not dollars.

Nevertheless - there are no wheels on the market that cost $10,000 a pair. A pair of Zipps (which a lot of them ride) for example - will cost you about $2000 or £1500 a set. Only one team (Milram) uses Lightweight brand wheels which are one of the most expensive.

Most teams use standard bikes that are available to the general public. They sometimes add special stuff like Powertap hubs or SRM cranks, but otherwise they are the same as the bikes that Joe Public (with deep pockets) rides.

As an example, I have the same bike as Thor Hushold but didn't spend $20,000 to get it.
  • Pokerface
    donrhummy wrote:
    carrock wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    jpb08 wrote:

Contador used $10,000 Lightweight wheels on his bike. There was a huge thing about how Lance got his paid for by the team but Contador had to pay for his out of his own pocket.

It was a disc wheel. And again - Lightweights don't cost that much.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    These are probably the most 'spendy' wheels at present, yours for $6000:

http://www.glorycycles.com/rerzr46twh.html
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I once nearly bought a bianchi tha had been ridden in the tour, it came with photos of it crosiing the line etc and was on sale for £2000 at Red Planet bikes. Robbie Williams beat me to it though. (I bet he's never ridden it!)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    All price in '000 euros

Although I know a bloke who knows a bloke who can get you one a bit cheaper. Cash only. :wink:
    Ah I think Will knows him too - is he Chinese?
  • Pokerface
    Monty Dog wrote:

I was wondering when someone would bring those up! But no pro teams are using them. Yet ;)
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Pokerface wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I was wondering when someone would bring those up! But no pro teams are using them. Yet ;)

Actually, Footon are.

First post: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 9&start=61

Pics from the Prologue in Rotterdam.

At the Footon truck:
    RZR that says prototype...
    img1941nf.jpg

Real proto deep RZR
    img1940hm.jpg
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    That'll be the Footon that ripped up the field in the Prologue then eh?

Oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • tomb8555
    edited July 2010
    Also,
    The Rabobank team Giant TCR Advanced SL with Zipps and Di2 (no power meter) is ~£8k retail. So the prices quoted seem about right.

Roughly:

Top frame - £2-3k
    Race wheels - £1.5 - £2k (there's plenty of wheels more expensive than Zipps)
    Groupset - £1.5k
    Power - SRM @ £2.5k, or say £1k for powertap.

That's ~£8k or Eur 9,500

Obviously you can find much better deals. e.g. dura ace for £950, Zipps for £1200 etc etc, but a magazine putting together the prices of pro team bikes is obviously going to look at retail prices, or at least the price that components typically sell for.
  • tomb8555
    calvjones wrote:
    That'll be the Footon that ripped up the field in the Prologue then eh?

Oh.

I never said they were any good! I'd certainly never buy a set, even if I had the money.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Teach wrote:

Ironically a lot of the time they have to ensure they hit the minimum weight limit, my bike is lighter than the bikes the pros use and it's not top of the range or owt...

And you race on this non-UCI legal bike??

Commissaire!!!

:wink:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    All the gear no idea springs to mind.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.