Morzine f*cking braking bumps.

13»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    what kind of plans? You heading to the Alps or something?
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    I'll know more by Monday, McGee, but I think I've come up with an effective way to combat the braking bumps.....

Till then..... :wink: 'nuff said.
  • Anonymous
    so is it...
    PennyFarthing.jpg
    or
    2010_CRF250R_370x246_Red_FFF.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    A shovel?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Joe_Pineapples
    :oops:
    You can pull my fingernails out and I still wont talk.

Project: Tom Hanks.....that's all I'm saying.
  • Anonymous
    you're going to have a "spank"? How's is that going to help anything?
  • flynn160603
    flynn160603 Posts: 476
    Just read this whole thread.....i'm fairly new to the forum (except for the classifieds) been riding for 20 years and i've never heard of a brake bump could someone please enlighten me.....

Always planned on going to the Alps (but family and work have always taken priortiy) hence my reason for the inteerest.

Thanks in advance
    Tarmac Summer: Burls Custom Ti,
    Tarmac Winter: Dolan Preffisio
    Mud: 2013 orange five pro, 2012 Cube Ltd Race, 1992 saracen sahara elite
  • Anonymous
    Brake bumps are when a lot of people lock up their wheels when trying to decelerate for the corner. The trail gets cut up really badly, and ends up with a series of ever deepening ruts where the wheels skip along the ground.
    As the ruts get deeper, the braking skids get worse, and it all spirals out of control.

Generally, they are divots in the ground, just slightly shorter in length than the diameter of a wheel, and anything from 5 to 12 inches deep.

They're a pain.
  • flynn160603
    flynn160603 Posts: 476
    Brake bumps are when a lot of people lock up their wheels when trying to decelerate for the corner. The trail gets cut up really badly, and ends up with a series of ever deepening ruts where the wheels skip along the ground.
    As the ruts get deeper, the braking skids get worse, and it all spirals out of control.

Generally, they are divots in the ground, just slightly shorter in length than the diameter of a wheel, and anything from 5 to 12 inches deep.

They're a pain.

Thanks for that I've experienced this kind of thing before in trail centres....
    Tarmac Summer: Burls Custom Ti,
    Tarmac Winter: Dolan Preffisio
    Mud: 2013 orange five pro, 2012 Cube Ltd Race, 1992 saracen sahara elite
  • Two words - - LES ARCS

Get yo asses over there.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    bikeface73 wrote:
    Two words - - LES ARCS

Get yo asses over there.

Going there in 6 days, yay!!

i take it this means no breaking bumps, heard it was less hardcore downhill orientated as well

Finally do you think a guide is needed or is it pretty easy to navigate?

Thanks
  • Joe_Pineapples
    It took a wee while, but here's the solution that I finally came up with to tackle those pesky braking bumps! :twisted:

http://tinyurl.com/376ye3g
  • Anonymous
    It took a wee while, but here's the solution that I finally came up with to tackle those pesky braking bumps! :twisted:

http://tinyurl.com/376ye3g
    Good effort!
    A Mate of mine did a similar thing, and got a Session 88DH.
    It's actually the main reason I got the Fox36s for my bike too :oops:
    I was sooooo tempted to get a quake with some 40s or 888s on it, but wanted a do-it-all bike really.
    Hmm, come to think of it, I wonder how big a fork the new wolf will take? I see an email to Marin coming up.

But anyway, mindless rambling apart, if you're going to Les Gets/Morzine etc, THIS is the right way to do it. It's pretty serious DH over there, use a bike that's up to the task, and enjoy it as it was intended.
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Yeah, I came to realise that good as it was, my Patriot was a compromise, and that I had an excellent trail bike in my Morewood that I hadn't ridden in a year since I built the Patriot.
    So now I think I have all the bases covered, a bike that goes up well and another that comes down well.

Bring on the Innerleithen uplift day on the 8th!
  • Anonymous
    There's nothing wrong with a compromise, as long as your compromises are in the right place, for the right reasons though, but that Devinci is just pure 900% no-compromise awesomeness!
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I can see what you guys are saying on this but I've got kind of a different take on it.....

Braking bumps are just part of the course. I did end up with no feeling in two of my fingers for a few weeks last year but can't say I really let them spoil any runs. Might just be lucky that my bike was set up perfectly to tackle them. My mate certainly complained about them more and seemed to notice them more.

In that area though if you find a track that you don't like, head off up another lift. Some of the 'hidden' trails we found and the more natural riding was awesome and not a braking bump in sight. Can't comment on the beginners aspect but I'd seen and heard enough not to head up Le Pleney without experience, actually how did a beginner make it to the last bridge to crash, if they were a true beginner I don't fancy their chances of making it that far......

On the flip side, I was having a moan the other week that there are braking bumps at Glentress red, that's just not meant to be!!!!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Steve,
    I totally get the point you're making, and the whole idea behind this post originally was just to have a general moan, not to genuinelly find a solution to the braking bumps, but I too was in Morzine last year and the deterioration in all of the trails throughout the area was shocking. The trails were massively inferior to 2009.

The hidden trails we found were interesting, but as you'd expect, they're hardly developed enough to get a good run out of them.

But....like many others have pointed out, if that's how they are then that's how they are.
    We'll just have to put up with it and deal with them as best we can.
    The place is still awesome though.
  • Anonymous
    Steve_F wrote:
    Can't comment on the beginners aspect but I'd seen and heard enough not to head up Le Pleney without experience, actually how did a beginner make it to the last bridge to crash, if they were a true beginner I don't fancy their chances of making it that far......
    There were a lot of people out of their depth the year we were there. There were skidmarks all down 10%, for example. They were making their way down, but very cautiously.
    This was both annoying and dangerous for the people who preferred to let rip and hammer the trails.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I'm gutted to hear that it's worse than last year. I can see exactly what you're saying, especially since a marked downturn since last year will be spoiling a lot of the flow and speed of the trails. There were a few corners and doubles that were seriously comprimised due to the entry speed and angles being dictated so can only imagine how much worse that'll be now.

Still wish I'd made it over there this year!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike