Morzine f*cking braking bumps.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No. Why the hell would I take pics of some poor kid in what appeared to be a life threatening condition?

I hardly took any pictures at all, I left the camera safely in the van, since the chances of wrecking it were extremely high.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I can only imagine the terror on a newbie's face hitting Mont Chery for the first time.

See, I know the Terror of hitting Mont Chery as a newbie, and also what it's like to 'Face Hit' it too :lol:

Lost the back end on the section that's 5-6 big steep berms and faceplated into the face of one like I'd been fired from Robin Hoods Bow. Once the mountain stopped spinning and the tweety birds pissed off I was proper glad I'd crashed once I saw how steep the straight run was to the little wooden bridge straight afterwards.

You can't make people take an entry exam to ride trails, DH or otherwise, there's not even a sign at the start to say what it's like in Morzine, it's off the lift, there you go. So literally anyone can have a go, and they usually do.

In Whistler the trails have a wooden audition obstacle at the start, the DH equivalent of "you must be this tall to ride this ride" IE if you can do this little wooden drop, you should be OK on the trail. Again a good idea worth paying the extra for the lift pass (even if the flights make still make it stupidly expensive to go.
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    What I meant was to stop being such a moaning barsteward (to the OP). I'd love to have the quality of the stuff thats in the 7 Stanes on my doorstep!

Hey, I got the finger out of my ar*e and spent the money to go there, so I think I've got every right to moan.
    What's your excuse?
    (ps - Glentress IS on your doorstep. They're called "trains".)
  • Anonymous
    LMFAO, a train ticket to Scotland would cost me more than ten times the cost of a flight to Geneva!
    fcuk trains. :lol:
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Fair point, besides, they don't take kindly to mud on the seats.
  • Anonymous
    60 quid diesel to Glentress and back is fine though. Mind you, probably more like 80-odd quid by now.
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Remember to leave yourself a few quid for the millionaires shortbread.
  • Anonymous
    Oh, I did! :D (and deep fried Pizza)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    No. Why the hell would I take pics of some poor kid in what appeared to be a life threatening condition?

Too much time on another forum...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Oh, I did! :D (and deep fried Pizza)

I tried the battered (obviously) deep fried burger which was... interesting.

The deep fried (battered) kebab was...hmmm.... lets just say the campsite bogs were occupied for a fair few hours.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Just got back myself from a week in Morzine and Passportes, I gotta say my hands felt like a 90 years old's by the end of the week, the braking bumps on some trails were pretty harsh. Only having 100mm on each end didn't help but it was awesome, I'm already planning to go back next year...maybe with a Lappiere 514 if I can afford it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Never been myself but... Is it not going to be at least partly because all of a sudden going to the alps is one of those things mountain bikers do, even if they're red-route mincers? It's just become kind of accepted, so what would have been a real enthusiast's holiday for the 1% or whatever of the most committed riders- who are probably mostly pretty damn good- is now for 10% or whatever. So not just more traffic, but also less skill.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    Never been myself but... Is it not going to be at least partly because all of a sudden going to the alps is one of those things mountain bikers do, even if they're red-route mincers? It's just become kind of accepted, so what would have been a real enthusiast's holiday for the 1% or whatever of the most committed riders- who are probably mostly pretty damn good- is now for 10% or whatever. So not just more traffic, but also less skill.
    You are almost certainly correct I reckon.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Sure thing - I first rode there in 2003 when I was new to the sport - me and 3 mates went out and hired bikes - we got v brake equipped FS scott's and scared the living crap out of ourselves on the Les G "easy" DH and the Pleney - rims at 10,000 degrees, innertubes bursting in the heat, no grip from skinny tires - what were people doing even renting bikes like that out!

We went again the next year, I took my handjob and had way more fun, went again the year after on my patriot and it rocked! Worked there the summer after as a guide and loved it although oddly didnt ride as much as I should have. Been the last two summers as well. Going at the end of August this year.

The condition of the trails is a bug bear and I agree the steep - straight to the bottom - runs aren't ideal - there should definitely be more flow and contouring of the hills and that is the case up at avoriaz into Linderet and over at chatel - they still get braking bumps but again I think weight of numbers and people riding in the worst conditions are not helping plus obviously the numpty factor.

The Mont Chery DH is my least favourite run - the top section that now doesn't get used as they closed the lift to bikes was great the lower sections were hll. The massively steep sweeping berms at the bottom were literally terrifying!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont know wether you guys have noticed but there are other pointy bits in europe and easily get to able by easyjet or RY-do as your fecking told and be grateful-AN AIR.

I have ridden several times in the Sierra Nevada, once each in the Dolomites and Pyrenees admittedly not the density of lifts as the Alps so you might have to use them gears.

Last time I went to Sierra Nevada I went on the train. Quite a bit more expensive than cattle class on a plane but no pissing about at checkout and a day in Paris to see the sights before jumping on the train to Spain. Very civilised and european trains sell nice beer and wine too :D
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    stubs wrote:
    Dont know wether you guys have noticed but there are other pointy bits in europe and easily get to able by easyjet or RY-do as your fecking told and be grateful-AN AIR.

I have ridden several times in the Sierra Nevada, once each in the Dolomites and Pyrenees admittedly not the density of lifts as the Alps so you might have to use them gears.

Last time I went to Sierra Nevada I went on the train. Quite a bit more expensive than cattle class on a plane but no pissing about at checkout and a day in Paris to see the sights before jumping on the train to Spain. Very civilised and european trains sell nice beer and wine too :D

Loads of other places are possible from Geneva, but personally I wouldn't got with the Sleazy Jet or Ryan Air. It's BA for me every time, lovely service and if you can get over driving to London to fly, they were cheaper than the so called budget airlines onc eyou add bikes etc.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    P-Jay wrote:

Loads of other places are possible from Geneva, but personally I wouldn't got with the Sleazy Jet or Ryan Air. It's BA for me every time, lovely service and if you can get over driving to London to fly, they were cheaper than the so called budget airlines onc eyou add bikes etc.

me too....

and three words...

AIR MILES RULE!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    stubs wrote:
    It's the uplifts that draw me to Les Gets etc though. A week of DH riding with chairlifts just ticks all the boxes for me!

We went down in a large van, and camped, but got slammed by the road tolls.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    We're going on an uplift-ish week with A Quick Release later in the year in the Pyrenees, we looked at the alps but basically this looks more suited to the non-downhillers. Various chairlifts, gondolas and van uplifts as I understand it, some lift-assisted XC, some park riding. Obviously not in a position to recommend it but it seems like a good option for us.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibum
    The idea of a week riding some amazing terrain in Spain or wherever does appeal - I have to admit to getting a little jaded in the PdS - but I'd never get my riding buddies to do the ups!
  • cramaj
    cramaj Posts: 7
    I'm with you there Joey, the braking bumps are a killer. I guess what you are saying is that a/ they are trying to make good the summer in the Les Gets and the Morzine area but people may stop going if things don't improve and b/ where else can you fly to (within say 2 hours from the UK, that has the same depth and type of runs as Les Gets and Morzine and importantly you don't have to peddle upwards.

Mont Chery - piece of piss!! Scary though.
  • paul.skibum
    I reckon Austria is the place to go - places like this http://www.upanddownhill.com/mountain_bike_holiday/routes_uplifts.htm should be growing.

I like Morzine but branching out and trying new places should be what biking is all about even if it only that one week a year holiday.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Just back from a week in Morzine yesterday and, as per usual, the place is just amazing, but the trails are being totally ruined by a total lack of any maintenance that I could see.
    The braking bumps are, quite frankly, ridiculous and compared to last year the place has went totally downhill (Boom Boom!) to the point where I might not go back next year. :x

Has anyone got any suggestions for any other European locations with similar trails that actually give a sh*t about their condition?

They should tarmac the lot and we could use road bikes :lol:
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    Hey folks, thought I'd chip in with a bit - might help with understanding anyway.

I used to live in Chamonix... in winter it is seriously busy (especially at new year, the feb half term and easter) and almost everyone is there for skiing and snowboarding. The provision for them is fantastic as it's the top (close to only) priority.
    In the summer though it is HEAVING. Makes the winter look deserted by comparison. Almost everyone is there for walking and the summer mountaineering stuff. A huge number are there for climbing and a relative handful are there for the bikes.
    I think that explains the apparent lack of maintenance on the trails... it's just not the top priority.

Then there's the grading and beginners-smashing-themselves-to-bits things.
    Europe seems to have a habit of under-grading things. Americans and Canadians I met while living there said pretty consistently that the "Double Black Diamond" runs out that way (particularly in the context of winter sports) were a bit easier than the Euro "Black" runs. Their reds were more like our blues.

It's always struck me that route gradings in the alps are more of an overall grading. On my snowboard I've ridden blues in Chamonix that had a section that graded individually would have been a tough red. Certainly being able to ride a red run doesn't mean you won't find a blue that challenges you. At times it seems like they just ran out of red signs and poles so put up the blue ones instead.

Combined with the attitude taken to safety and personal responsibility out there it's a recipe for out-of-the-depth stuff but still preferable to restricting access, I think.

The general attitude to safety is one I love...
    It's their job to get you up the hill and (usually) point the way down. Other than that it's up to you.

From what I gathered from the bikers I knew while living there - downhill really means DOWNhill and the gradings are probably more accurate for the people who ride that terrain all the time than for holidaymakers.

Generally speaking the Alps are just pretty hardcore. Noone tells the beginners that, of course, it's assumed that you'll have looked into it and know what your skills allow you to do.

That doesn't help with the brake bumps though. :P
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    you could always try these guys... http://www.trailaddiction.co.uk

Went there last week. They have lots and lots of long singletrack runs all with reach of the numerous ski lifts around the area! Best of all, no peddling!! Woo!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • paul.skibum
    BigShot wrote:
    Then there's the grading and beginners-smashing-themselves-to-bits things.
    Europe seems to have a habit of under-grading things. Americans and Canadians I met while living there said pretty consistently that the "Double Black Diamond" runs out that way (particularly in the context of winter sports) were a bit easier than the Euro "Black" runs. Their reds were more like our blues.

I ski in Canada a lot and I am not sure I agree with that - Blacks in Europe equate to double diamonds in Canada and Reds to single diamonds generally - I think the blue/green criteria get a bit wayward, some canadian blues are nearer red where I ski but I have also skiied greens in france that barely rate being called a downhill run.

I believe american runs can be a little more the way you describe.

Not sure about the equation for biking, to be honest the grading of bike runs in the Alps is pretty limited, I tend to ride off the main downhills where nothing is marked out, they still seem to have brake bumps!
  • BigShot
    You know, the "Canada" bit didn't sound quite right when I wrote it. Thinking about it the Canadian guy may well have been talking about an American area he'd spent time at. Hmm. I might even be confusing him with a Yank who looked kinda similar.

Let's pretend I never mentioned Canada at all... eh? (See what I did there? :P)

I wasn't so much trying to equate ski runs with bike trails, more to show how horribly inconsistent the grading can be on ski runs and the colour system for them is pretty well established. I guess I was saying to take grades with a pretty hefty pinch of salt and assume they could be far harder than the colour suggests.

That said - I hate piste. I'm a backcountry junkie to the point where my snowboard absolutely SUCKS on piste compared to the one it replaced (broken - upgrade on warranty replacement thanks to being out of stock) and I really don't mind. It's all about getting away from the runs and finding the pow. (1st gen K2 Gyrator - absolute monster in the soft stuff.)
  • paul.skibum
    You want inconsistent grading head through the tunnel to Italy! They call runs black just to say they have a black!

A guy I know in Canada who moved there a few years ago took his UK full susser that had served him well in the trail centres went riding in a BC bike park and destroyed his bike in one run. Apparently a UK trail bike doesnt like a red bike park run.
  • BigShot
    I wasn't at all surprised to hear the Italian grading was a bit haphazard. Kinda fits with the stereotype.

In Chamonix there are surprisingly few blacks. Mainly it just means unpisted (so gets murderously bumpy, then becomes moguls you could house a family of 4 in) but one or two of them are genuine "err, yea... this is a black alright" runs. Even after 11 years riding (and a few full seasons under my belt) there's a bit of one of them (groomed) I can still scare myself on - which is nice.

Having no experience of foreign grading (and almost none of British grading) I dunno what Canadian trails are like but that does sound about right. One run is pretty extreme though. Must be some real gnar.
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Plans are afoot . . . .

Can't say too much right now, all a bit hush hush . . .