eurosport versus ITV

coinneach
coinneach Posts: 79
edited July 2010 in Pro race
It's actually no contest...Harmon & Kelly are so far ahead, they won't be caught!

Yesteday ITV missed Lances puncture, even on the highlights, which makes me think their editor is no better...Harmon spotted it from the helicopter shot, even if he mistook his position in the race.

And I so love Kelly's spoonerismisms.... " he's right on the rimit"
"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Comments

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Eurosport wins hands down or should that be Vandevelde down again !!!!

One question - CARLTON KIRBY ???? WTF how much manure does this tool talk

David Duffield please come back all is forgiven.
  • coinneach
    coinneach Posts: 79
    steady now....no matter how bad Carton is, there's only one duffer!!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
    "It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."
  • Just watched ITV4's 7pm highlights. I will now just record the main afternoon show and fast forward through the dross.

From 60 miutes of TV time you get
    30 minutes of adverts
    5 minutes of sponsor's trailers
    10 minutes of e mail questions
    5 minutes recaps
    5 minutes of blah
    5 minutes of actual road racing.
    I may have slightly exaggerated.

Absolutely dire but no big surprise from ITV.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    ITV4 may not be as good as Eurosport but it's free and does not involve paying money to Murdoch!

So stop knocking it...but Phil and Paul do seem to miss a lot. Too busy looking for Lance no doubt.
  • True, I suppose if you don't have Sky then it's better than nothing - but only just :?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I watch Eurosport online - the Player is really good and it is about 4 quid a month. Can't say fairer than that.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I have just got back from the USA and I wish we could get the verses type coverage they have there bar the ads. There is a good amount of race coverage intercut with a lot of interviews and behind the scenes stuff including getting in owners like Stapleton etc to comment during race coverage. I am talking about highlights show here but for me I think we lack reaction and post race interviews on our uk highlights. Itv put some effort into that but I personally always know the result before I watch highlights and want to see the race plus riders reactions.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Just watched ITV4's 7pm highlights. I will now just record the main afternoon show and fast forward through the dross.

From 60 miutes of TV time you get
    30 minutes of adverts
    5 minutes of sponsor's trailers
    10 minutes of e mail questions
    5 minutes recaps
    5 minutes of blah
    5 minutes of actual road racing.
    I may have slightly exaggerated.

Absolutely dire but no big surprise from ITV.

Has it occurred to you that ITV are fast forwarding through the dross for you? On a stage like today's where would you have fast forwarded to? The last ten k, the last five?

Now tonight they could have shown more actual racing highlights, but that extra footage would have just been of three guys cycling down the road - hardly compelling. On stages like this they do pad the show out a bit. So we have the e-mails and we have the Jonny Bellis feature (which was good to see) - it makes for a better programme. On the more action packed stages (ie the mountains) they cut down on the padding a lot.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    my stupid tv isn't picking up ITV4, so I am having to wait for them to upload it to the ITV player :( Knackered, but want to see the end
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    matthew h wrote:
    my stupid tv isn't picking up ITV4, so I am having to wait for them to upload it to the ITV player :( Knackered, but want to see the end

You can watch ITV on the internet as it's broadcast: http://www.itv.com/watchitv/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    RichN95 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

You can watch ITV on the internet as it's broadcast: http://www.itv.com/watchitv/

cheers!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    +1 on the dross being cut out - nearly posted the same but gave up typing it.

Who wants to see 200km of flat riding in one big group - bar 3.

yawnsville. There aint highlights.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Watching the Versus TV channel coverage in Canada at the mo, it's pretty good as per the previous post, weird how it's Phil and Paul doing the commentary live for them but also doing the ITV stuff as well.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I like Eurosport in HD :wink: , but, Sean Kelly :cry: He sure can't talk as well as he could ride......me and my son have a "number of days" competition, both guessing how many times Sean will say it during the show. I give up in frustration and rage after about the first half dozen......it just grates :roll: !

PP
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    DaveyL wrote:
    . Can't say fairer than that.

fai...fa..ffff. fffaaiiirrrrppppp.

You're right! :wink:
  • Carlton Kirby is great I think his stories add to thongs. Eurosport is probably better but ITV more polished.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Carlton Kirby is great I think his stories add to thongs. Eurosport is probably better but ITV more polished.

Freud would have a field day with you :lol:

Phil and Paul on the pave stage didn't have a clue (couldn't work out which group was which, failed to spot Wiggins was in the Contador group etc.) - surely the beauty of a highlights show is that they have a chance to edit things so it looks like they knew what was happening?
  • Monty Zoncolan
    Monty Zoncolan Posts: 341
    edited July 2010
    I prefer Eurosport as I would imagine any halfway-informed cycling fan would. They assume a certain knowledge of the sport that ITV don't, and can go into more discussion about aspects of the race and sport that would have your once-a-year viewer glaze over.

That said, I'm about to go on holiday where I'll lose my access to ES and be very grateful for the ITV Freeview option.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    David Harmon is superb. Sean Kelly on the other hand seems to be talking far less than he used to, although he does have useful points when he does talk. One thing I love about Dave Harmon is how you can feel his passion for the sport when he talks.

Eurosport are trying hard to give us great coverage. Lots of guests, talking to DSs, etc. They do have some badly times advert breaks though! If I just had satellite tv with Eurosport HD and nothing else you definitely wouldn't hear me complaining.

ITV 4 is hard work sometimes. Some of the comments from their crack commentary team are just awful. Only the other day they were going on about people going the wrong way around roundabouts, losing them their high position in the peloton. If you actually watched what happened, they held their position. That is the problem with their commentary - they often talk without actually paying attention to what is happening.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    It has to be Eurosport HD every time. The pictures are simply stunning.

ITV4's highlights is useful for stages like yesterday where nothing really happens but the commentary is just drivel.

Ligget and Sherwin look like an ageing gay couple, and poor Gary Imlach doesn't look well.
    I find the 'Boardman on a bike' bit a little embarrassing too.

Can't wait to 'work from home' on the Mountain stages with Eurosport HD on all day :D
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    Without sky, I go with whatever I can get, eurosport (iplayer) or ITV.

But if I miss the live coverage on eurosport, then I'll look for the coverage on ITV. it would be helpful if bikeradar wouldn't ruin the suspense by declaring the results in flashing headlines on its home page... fail!
  • For the 1st time I tryed to watch ITV4 the other night...sorry had to switch off...what aload drivel...I use to watch ITV way back in the 80's and at least you saw some action, but now too many add breaks and too much discustion/who and what if...I like to see the action
  • joosed
    joosed Posts: 24
    The Eurosport commentary yesterday was painful - Harmon feigning hilarity at spurious claims of tribesmen watching the Tour from the Rainforest, exploding sugar dust from liquorice allsort factories, saddles designed to accomodate male genitalia.....it was Horrible to listen to.

Sean was as bored by Harmon's and Carlton's witterings as me I suspect.
  • Pross
    I think with live commentary I can cope with the inane chatter as there are a few hours to fill with nothing to really comment on but there's no excuse when it comes to a highlights programme.
  • robert-sb
    robert-sb Posts: 118
    Must admit, at work, ITV4 live works fine for me on watchitv.com with the sound turned down and twitter @raceticker keeping me up to date with who is where.

Trouble is, when it gets towards the end and my keyboard goes silent with me staring at the screen, I am sure everyone else can tell I am not working :lol:
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Eurosport everytime for me. I think Harmon is excellent. Sean Kelly is a god of cycling but I think Magnus Backstedt is the better co comentator.
  • I don't mind the endless drivel, or ramblings, on Eurosport. Sometimes it can be puzzling, others entertaining and even wrong but overall it's not that bad.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Allez Mark wrote:
    Eurosport everytime for me. I think Harmon is excellent. Sean Kelly is a god of cycling but I think Magnus Backstedt is the better co comentator.

Magnus rarely says a word out of place IMHO - pretty much everything he says is relevant, informative and insightful.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Sean Kelly's voice does my head in - and I'm Irish! I couldn't listen to him rabbit on for hours on end. Plus, we don't have Eurosport, so..

ITV for me

:)
  • Pross
    Allez Mark wrote:

Magnus rarely says a word out of place IMHO - pretty much everything he says is relevant, informative and insightful.

What do you expect from a Welshman :wink: