BBC Cycle Superhighway report

2»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    You have to admit that Boris does give good quote. Something weird going on woth his helmet in that thisislondon photo - like the top of his head has been twisted round by 15˚.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    JonGinge wrote:
    Also, saw a piece on bbc london news last night which contained a comment from one of BoJo's advisers saying that the blue strips are where motorists can expect cyclists to be... did not like.
    I was in that piece before hand saying that it's not acutally continious and that i did get lost :)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Origamist wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Diplomacy, I don't deliberately go to the front to slow cars down, but neither will I worry about holding them up for a few seconds. The Oval 'track' is where I hold primary in whichever lane I am in, whilst going as fast as I safely can with lots of shoulder checks either side. Most drivers are ok with it. Only a few aren't. As long as no-one flattens me I'll continue.

I regard it as a workout for my legs/lungs which enhances my running :wink:

That's the best strategy for Oval. How are you finding Stockwell now it has a partially segregated facility northnound?

Stockwell Cycle Superhighway:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRlfX0JZbwI

I tried it twice: Once on Sunday and again this morning. Think I'll stick to the 'regular' road.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I'm almost tempted to go and have a go for myself.

I do think that TFL/the police/whoever's responsibility it is should make an effort to keep other vehicles off the 'superhighway' ( :lol: superhighway).

I'll be interested to see (or does anyone know?) the route for the one that was mooted around the A40 out towards Ealing - for some reason (possibly the enormous budget) I had envisaged something rather more spectacular than a bit of blue paint.
  • rjsterry

I do think that TFL/the police/whoever's responsibility it is should make an effort to keep other vehicles off the 'superhighway' ( :lol: superhighway).

I'll be interested to see (or does anyone know?) the route for the one that was mooted around the A40 out towards Ealing - for some reason (possibly the enormous budget) I had envisaged something rather more spectacular than a bit of blue paint.

It os abit more than blue paint, but don't get too carried away.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    rjsterry wrote:
    I had envisaged something rather more spectacular than a bit of blue paint.

Yeah, when it gets wet its gets absurdly slippy and dangerous too!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:

Yeah, when it gets wet its gets absurdly slippy and dangerous too!
    Does it? I thought Gaz said, on some thread or other, that it seemed ok
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:

Oh really? Oooooh in what way? If you say 'well there's white paint too' I may have to get CSI:W1 to trace your IP address then triangulate down to exactly where you are right now then come over there and kick you in the shins. :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Oh really? Oooooh in what way? If you say 'well there's white paint too' I may have to get CSI:W1 to trace your IP address then triangulate down to exactly where you are right now then come over there and kick you in the shins. :D

Arf. Well there is that, but they have also redesigned a couple of major junctions - Stockwell gyratory (finished) and E&C (just started). There are mixed feelings as to whether they have actually improved them or just changed them.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    rjsterry wrote:

Well there's white paint too

I'm waiting L-i-T
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rjsterry
    Blimey, not you too spen! It's bad enough with DDD and his spitting fantasies.

"Oooh, kick me in the shins, please L-i-T"
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Some of the blue stuff is micro-granular and not slippy. Some of its a thick paint stuff that is slippy when wet...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    rjsterry wrote:
    It's bad enough with DDD and his spitting fantasies.

Erm, wh...?

...you know what...I don't want to know...
  • Chewy Cheeks
    Chewy Cheeks Posts: 234
    The CS7 routing on the rroundabout near Stockwell Tube station heading into the city is a bit new and I'm far from convinced at the minute.

The LFGSS forums are calling it the cycling smurfway - the colouring is a remarkable likeness
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • rjsterry
    kelsen wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Erm, wh...?

Neither did we.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• lost_in_thought
    spen666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Well there's white paint too

I'm waiting L-i-T

CSI:W1 aren't as efficient as their american cousins. I'll be round 8 weeks from Thursday.
  • lost_in_thought
    rjsterry wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Erm, wh...?

Neither did we.

I don't, didn't and still don't.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389

From what I remember back when they first started talking about the project, the plans were much more grand, like proper cycle highways that were segregated from motor traffic.

Unfortunately, I believe budget cuts and the fact that it would hinder motor traffic meant the whole project had to be scaled down. I think Boris was actually quite annoyed about it.

I saw the BBC London News report on it tonight and it did look like it was just a cycle lane painted blue. Their shots also showed numerous vehicles that were straddling the blue lanes. They then also showed shots of parked vehicles in them, buses and finally where utility companies had dug some of them up to do work. Plenty of drivers they interviewed didn't seem to pleased with them either.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Rich_E wrote:

From what I remember back when they first started talking about the project, the plans were much more grand, like proper cycle highways that were segregated from motor traffic.

Unfortunately, I believe budget cuts and the fact that it would hinder motor traffic meant the whole project had to be scaled down. I think Boris was actually quite annoyed about it.

I saw the BBC London News report on it tonight and it did look like it was just a cycle lane painted blue. Their shots also showed numerous vehicles that were straddling the blue lanes. They then also showed shots of parked vehicles in them, buses and finally where utility companies had dug some of them up to do work. Plenty of drivers they interviewed didn't seem to pleased with them either.

To me it just strikes me as do it properly, or don't do it at all.

We also have the dilemma now that we have two colored lanes specifically for cyclists, and a further red one for buses, cyclists and motrobikes. Cycle Lanes should all be the same colour (blue makes sense as its more visible, at least during the day).