First Ever TT tonight. (Not first this year ;-) )

morstar
morstar Posts: 6,190
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
Apologies for the long post, this is a bit of a story! Read or ignore, the choice is yours.

39 years old and on and off , I have wanted to do a TT for about 23 years. Tonight, at long last I finally bit the bullet at the Preston evening TT for a 10 mile loop.

Travelled to the course straight from work which gave me sufficient time to drive the loop just to make sure my gearing was going to be OK and also so that I wasn't riding blind.

As this only took about 15 minutes I was tempted to leave it there and go home.
Despite serious reservations about undertaking my first one at my age (and also on the same bike that I would have been using had I done one 20 years ago), I took the plunge and parted with my £2.50

Lots of nice machines about and a broad range of shapes and sizes of riders. Hopefully I could be completely anonymous and not stick out like a sore thumb on my aged steed.
Out for a warm up and it was blustery but the wind was tricky to fully understand (this uncertainty was to later be laid to rest).

Rolled up to the starting line feeling reasonably relaxed but somewhat uncertain of what I was letting myself in for. Thoughts running through my head at this point consisted of had my warm up been too long and was I about to be pushed off my bike by the starter (I haven’t had a push start on a bike since I was about 12!)

As the countdown began I made fun of my bike, acknowledging its age whilst secretly wishing that I could set a blistering time and leave my mark on the course as the mysterious guy who turned up on a 1980’s bike and blew everyone else away.

5,4,3,2,1 I’m away, didn’t get pushed off after all, I’m not going down in club history as the guy who fell off after 6 feet. The first 4 1/2 miles are a decent run, basically flat and generally good surfaces. The wind is a little swirly but basically helping, what pace to set? Am I going too hard, not pushing hard enough? The guy in front was so much older but on a nice machine, can I catch him? Behave yourself, just get round! Pace is good, steady mid 20’s mph not too hard, not too soft. 2 miles gone, bugger, caught by a guy on a TT rig and he’s flying! Forget about it, push on, reach the first turn, nearly half way and no sign of the two minute chaser. Wind is no longer assisting but the road is sheltered so it’s not hindering either, pace is still good. 5 miles gone and the two minute guy has me but he’s only a little quicker, not like the minute chaser.

Out of the shelter and sweet Jesus it’s blowing a hoolie! Full on head wind and on the most uphill sections of a pretty flat course. What the hell am I doing? This hurts and the computer is sneering at me, I’m going sooo slow. Never again, never again! I’m not giving up but, NEVER AGAIN! Do you understand? Where is that turn?

Relax settle into a tempo, I’m getting cramp, no way! I haven’t had cramp for ages on the bike. Tempo, tempo tempo, but, but ... TEMPO!

The turn, thank god. Got to get into twenties, that’s good, ride steady and build the pace again. Wind is still all over the place but no longer hindering. I don’t have the legs to push hard though, I’m rolling along but not eating up the ground, why have I only had one flat ride this year? Of course I can’t ride in mid 20’s for this long. 1 mile to go, dig, dig, dig. At last some decent pace, the last bend and a mysterious huddle at the side of the road, a solid last few hundred yards and that’s it, I’ve finished, 23 years in the making and it’s all over.

Bugger, haven’t stopped the computer, how fast was it? Definitely didn’t break any records! Bike in the car and a trip back to HQ. 28:50... OK, disappointed, wanted 28 for a first effort. That god damn wind. How did everybody else do? A few 22’s lots of 24,s a handful of 26’s and two or three 28’s. I’m last, boo hoo. Hang on a minute, those two old guys in front of me, what did they do? Oh yeah, I’m still last! Forget about it, I didn’t want to be last but I’ve popped my cherry. I’m happy.

Park my bum in the car and head home, hmmm, now how do I set about going faster?...

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Well done, mate...

Good read!... I look forward to the next instalment! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Well done, for the ride and the write up :)

Same again next week??
  • morstar
    Cheers guys.

Hope to be back next week but it does depend on the mrs not working late as then I need to collect the kids.

Time to put in a few rides on the flat.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    brilliant ! well done .
    Like you I've been dying to try a 10 and not had the courage to enter for nearly 15 years . Crazy. Just embarrased that some 14 year old girlie is going to make me look stupid and my 10 year old steel steed will be larghed at :oops:

Easiest way to improve would probably be to lose 10 lbs weight :roll:
    Also if you are managing mid 20's speed wise then getting your position on the bike more aerodynamic is definitly going to pay big dividends in terms of speed and endurance.

Look forward to seeing how you get on on the next one.
    well done !
  • Great effort! well done that man. To be honest, on a typical rolling ish club course (rather than a flat D/C speedway that open evenst are often held on) and on a road bike, anything under 27 minutes is quick, so 28 is respectable. 27 minutes on a road bike on your course would probably translate to around 25, maybe a long 24 on a TT bike on a flat drag strip. So, think about it that way and it will make your targets appear much more achievable.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    peanut wrote:
    brilliant ! well done .
    Like you I've been dying to try a 10 and not had the courage to enter for nearly 15 years . Crazy. Just embarrased that some 14 year old girlie is going to make me look stupid and my 10 year old steel steed will be larghed at :oops:

Easiest way to improve would probably be to lose 10 lbs weight :roll:
    Also if you are managing mid 20's speed wise then getting your position on the bike more aerodynamic is definitly going to pay big dividends in terms of speed and endurance.

Look forward to seeing how you get on on the next one.
    well done !

Nobody cares what you ride mate, if you are dying to try it just do it.

And if they do care and choose to pass snide comments, a simple "F*** off, tosser" will clarify the situation.

I rode my first ten on my dads old road bike that I had resprayed myself, wearing a wool cycling jersey and black football shorts and trainers! This was the mid-eighties mind, and I was just a lad, I think a long 29 was the result.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Great write up-sounds like a decent effort for a first time too..gonna try and do a 10 myself at some point this year-done 3 rides on the road thus far and loving it :D

Lovin the title btw :lol:
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    SheffSimon wrote:
    [
    Nobody cares what you ride mate, if you are dying to try it just do it.

And if they do care and choose to pass snide comments, a simple "F*** off, tosser" will clarify the situation.

:lol: Aiming to compete in my first towards the end of the season. Been off my bike for 6 months and now weigh 17.5 stones gulp :roll:
    I'll draw up a training program tonight and get out on the bike this weekend . Thanks for the encouragement
  • morstar
    SteveR, I like your thinking, I've just logged it as 25 minutes in the training journal. Seems only fair. :wink:

Peanut and Tom, all I can say is go do it. I decided at the start of the year with genuine conviction that the time for procrastination was over. It has still taken 6 months to take the plunge and now quite simply I have passed through a mental barrier. Truth be told, I would love to have not finished last but I did and do you know what? It doesn't matter one jot, what I have achieved personally is far more important than the end result. All mental barriers have now disappeared and I have no reservations at the thought of rolling up again next week and giving it another go.

As for the time, it's a bench mark on which to build.

As for the aged bike... to my face, nobody has yet slagged it off. Most people seem to appreciate the retro cool, if anybody has sniggered behind my back then better for these reasons than having all the gear and no idea. It is a nice bike to ride. Don't let other peoples possible perceptions of your bike put you off.

Thanks to all those who had posted previous threads on their first sportive / race threads as they were a big factor in me getting me to the start line last night. If I can repeat that favour for somebody else then half an hours typing has been time well spent.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Well done to you for taking the plunge... I've wimped out a couple of times in recent weeks on losing my TT cherry - I'd be happy to break 30 minutes, and bloody ecstatic with your time! Hats off, chapeu and all that.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've never, ever heard or seen bike snobbery at a race or TT or club run. I've heard people who own such bikes say that they think other people are like that though...

Anyhoo, another PB for me tonight, 23.21, slow night too! :D
  • morstar
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I've never, ever heard or seen bike snobbery at a race or TT or club run. I've heard people who own such bikes say that they think other people are like that though...

I believe you are confusing reality with paranoia. :wink:

NapoleonD wrote:
    Anyhoo, another PB for me tonight, 23.21, slow night too! :D

Show off! :D
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    he is but dont worry ! he's getting quite old now...

@ morstar perhaps you could come down to Tarleton lights tomorrow night for 6:30pm as there is another 10M TT there and lots of nice chappies come down and race!

only costs £2 :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • morstar
    £2 ??? That's a bargain. It's not an 8 mile TT is it? I assumed the going rate was 25p per mile.

Which are Tarleton lights? Are they the ones at the top of the Rufford road or up near leisure lakes? I know the roads reasonably well but not the local names.

May well have to give it a go but it may have to wait a fortnight. Pass out tomorrow may be tricky and I have a minor foot op next weds. It will be a great option for me to have two options though to allow for the mrs working late patterns. Is it a weekly thing?
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    yea :) it's a weekly thing but when you get to the leisure lakes turn right and head straight towards preston! just keep going straight up. soon enough you'll come upto a small roundabout keep straight up and you will see a lane on the left hand side and thats were we all are :)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • morstar
    Addictive these things aren't they!?

Steady rider, I was there but arrived quite late and was last man off. (felt all yellow jersey like that did!).

Did seem like a very friendly bunch.

23 years waiting and then two in three days, Lost time to make up for. Not got time for a bit of narrative so that'll have to wait.

What club runs it by the way?
  • skinarelli
    skinarelli Posts: 64
    Southport CC run it on a thursday.

If you get a calm night you should crack the 25 minute mark on that course. It's the fastest 10 course in the area.
    Bald is Beautiful
  • ellie.velo
    ellie.velo Posts: 33
    Is there a website where I can find out details of the local timetrial courses? I live in Chorley but work in Prescot so can travel if needed.
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    nice mate:), im gonna do my first 10 next week! im doing the TT up towards preston down the road from the tarlton lights:) aiming for a 27 for my first attempt
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • morstar
    Another long one. No more I promise.

Following a moderately well documented (posted for daylight starved forum readers) story of a 23 year quest to complete a TT, I, the protagonist dared to venture out again not 48 hours later to repeat the experience.

The prelude to a first attempt revolved around the mental battle around overcoming the uncertainty of exposing myself to failure. Hardly a winners mentality but the carefree mindset is not what lends itself to 23 year delays.

With the bike packed in the car and off to work there was little reason for nerves and the day passed uneventfully. At the suggestion of another forum member I left work heading towards Southport with more than enough time for a 6:30 rendezvous. The decision to create my own mental version of directions that only partially reflected the real ones led to a prolonged period of driving many roads in the area, eventually homing in on a side road with a collection of abandoned cars and an array of bikes.

The whole experience of parking up in a lay-by and peeing in the bushes provides that certain je ne sais quoi that a bricks and mortar H.Q. simply can’t compete with. Was the guy in GB kit genuinely a GB rider? Also, where were the elder statesmen that I mistakenly believed I might be able to catch at the previous attempt? Could I finish lower than last this time round? What is that anyway, very last? Extra last or, to borrow from the cat food ads, best ever last!

I parted with the £2 required and had a brief explanation of the very simple course which involved multiple iterations of those damned inconvenient things, roundabouts. Hmmm, not scared of roundabouts or anything like that but these sound like potential for delay. And there it is, the TT mentality rears its’ ugly head; any potential for lost time already being grieved for before a pedal has even turned in anger.

With the experience no longer holding any fear the focus has shifted subtly but significantly to how to do things better, the steep learning curve of undertaking something new sees previous mistakes avoided and new basic mistakes made. Why have I still not brought a track pump with me?

A shorter warm up brings me to the starter feeling fresh and ready to go, the flapjack still sat on my desk at work is however, sorely missed in my gut. Starting last through navigational blunder rather than design eliminates the worry of being passed but will the timekeeper still be there for my arrival?

Arrogantly pounding away from the starter with no possible fear of being pushed off the bike (who could think something so stupid) and again I am away. There is one simple goal, 28 minutes, the weather is calm and yet the course unknown, surely this constitutes a drag strip. Without the wind I am sure 28 minutes is achievable. The out and back start provides visibility of a succession of riders, some catching, some being caught, what does this tell me about my ride, nothing, head down and focus. The speed is good but surely in this easterly direction I have the benefit of what prevailing wind there is. I must capitalise on this downwind leg without overdoing it. With glimpses of my minute man I have something to chase, he is not riding away but I am not catching. The first roundabout is clear the second sees a car pull up in front at an empty roundabout, what is this, MOVE, time lost is minimal but a big effort is needed to recover lost speed.

The outward leg is complete and a 180 turn around the third roundabout nearly becomes 270 despite the marshall, it truly not being a successful night for navigation.

The computer shows nothing but speed and distance and this is a pre-ordained discipline that carries forward from my first attempt. My mental maths tells me I have made time on my minute man but the immediate challenge is the headwind...which isn’t there! I am returning faster than the outward leg and the surface is possibly better still (more people leave Preston than head there maybe?). Pace is good and the mind focuses on driving hard and learning, what gears am I using, what body position is optimum and the distracting thoughts of how fast is it, 26, 27 minutes, better?

Aggressive road positioning at the roundabouts ensures nobody is stopping in front of me and the out and back leg is completed, my minute man has pulled away but at 8 miles I have gone as well as I could have hoped and now leave the drag strip onto completely unfamiliar minor roads. On a good surface I lift the pace hoping to build on a strong ride and far exceed my goals. I have overcooked it! Half a mile later and I have slowed, this is a combination of lack of training and stupid riding. With other guys heading back to the lay by on the other side of the road, I have an incentive to dig deep to produce a pace that is not embarrassing but I have lost any zip in my legs. The mile to the last turn is painfully slow and cannot come quick enough. Counting numbers on the computer I am in danger of mentally destroying myself.

The final turn is into a narrow lane but the road is clear. There is no sprint finish but I ride strong tempo across the line. The feeling is awesome, the bike just rolls so far and so freely and there is now no need to stop or pedal. How do the guys in the pro races pull up so quickly, I don’t want to, it would involve effort. At this moment my bike is glorious machine that has fulfilled my expectations and taught me yet more about myself. For this brief moment, the time is irrelevant, rain threatens but the evening is beautiful.
    I roll to a near halt and head back to the car where my minute man is waiting and offers to take my number off. We head to the timekeeper and I have 27:30, my minute man at 26:56. My target is achieved, I am happy with this time and I am happy as I know I can go faster still.

The 10 mile time trial is now both my friend and my enemy, it no longer holds fear and yet has somehow begun transforming me, perhaps like every other TT rider in the country, I am now counting seconds lost and restlessly calculating where the next gains will come.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    RESULT!!!

Thanks for 2 great reads and some inspiration to get out and be last myself. In the immortal words of one of my bestest riding buddies "Whats the worst that can happen?"......
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • morstar
    Bigpikle wrote:
    RESULT!!!

Thanks for 2 great reads and some inspiration to get out and be last myself. In the immortal words of one of my bestest riding buddies "Whats the worst that can happen?"......
    Thanks for the positive comments and in response to your mate, quite. I hope you do have a go and find it as rewarding as I have.

Masterchef, good luck. I may be there myself for another pop but it does depend on my foot op on Wednesday. I suspect I won't be.
    Ellie, I can't comment on all the local TT's as it took me a while to find one but if you google "petts time trial" you should get the web site for the Garstang one. Steady riders directions (if followed) will get you to the Tarleton one.

Good luck to all of you. I now need to find something else to waffle on about.
    Anybody suggest a good road race. (seriously).
  • masterchef
    done my first TT on thursday:) was great, loved every second lol, i managed a 27 41 without cleats! lol gonna get some in a few weeks
  • morstar
    Blatant thread bump.

After a two week absence for a foot op, I returned to Petts to post a 26:46 in very similar conditions to the first attempt, but this time with tri bars.

The record so far reads:

Attempt 1: 28:50 - Petts (Westerly wind)
    Attempt 2: 27:30 - Tarleton. (Calm)
    Attempt 3: 28:15 - Petts (Wet and Easterly wind)
    Attempt 4: 26:46 - Petts (westerly wind) First TT with tri bars.

Now time to share my goals.

Achievable target: 26:00
    Stretch target: 25:00
    Dream target: 24:00

Plan to hit Tarleton on Thursday where with favourable conditions I reckon I can get close to 26:00 on current form but don't think I'll achieve it this year.
    I am confident I can hit 26:00 eventually and know I have the ability to go faster if I can get focused about training. In reality I haven't ridden that many miles this year and know I can get a lot higher fitness level but the 24 is the absolute best I could even contemplate (and I have serious doubts about getting there). I am in awe of these guys riding 22 mins and less.
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    Well done. Great achievement & a really interesting read.

I'm planning on doing a dummy run on the local TT course before doing it properly.

Based on your times the TT bars must have made a significant difference?
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • morstar
    mudslinger wrote:

Based on your times the TT bars must have made a significant difference?

They definitely did. The first and last rides were in very similar conditions so offer a good comparison. I don't put the full 2 mins difference down to the bars though as I paced myself a bit better and have actually done close to two hundred flat miles inbetween the first and last ride. The first TT was pretty much the first flat ride I had done this year so the body is now a bit better conditioned for flat riding. Tomorrow night will be interesting as it is a faster course that I haven't ridden since my first week of TT's.

I've really enjoyed the whole experience and recommend jumping in before the season ends. I'm curious to see how far I can go with the improvements but expect nothing amazing. I still think back with amazement at how fast the first guy to pass me in the first TT was going, I think that sort of speed is way beyond my limits.
  • masterchef
    hey mr morstar, im goin to tarleton tt tonight, look out for me on the trek 1.1 with tri bars:P il br wearing a very bright jersey lmao! im hoping if its a gd night a 25(high)
  • morstar
    masterchef wrote:
    hey mr morstar, im goin to tarleton tt tonight, look out for me on the trek 1.1 with tri bars:P il br wearing a very bright jersey lmao! im hoping if its a gd night a 25(high)

Dilemma. Have left shoes at home! Wondering if I can make it in time. Absolutely kicking myself! Realised as I pulled into work car park.
  • masterchef
    ahh dang lol,, ( good excuse btw i know you dont wanna get beat:D) lol iv this is gonna be my 3rd tonight looking forward to it!