Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

chain device drag???

richg1979richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited July 2010 in MTB general
would you get any noticable drag from a chain device/tensioner?

• mrfmilomrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    You get a little more drag yes - but some are very smooth, some aren't. What're you looking at?
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    some devices no. most tensioners yes. they are not the same thing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrfmilomrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    nicklouse wrote:
    some devices no. most tensioners yes. they are not the same thing.

What is the difference Nick?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    i dont feel any drag with my chain device but i would imagine there must be some.
  • richg1979richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    lookin at a pully that holds the lower part of the chain up near the crank to stop jumping of when hitting rough stuff but not a major problem so dont want it making any diffrence to xc runs and climbs.
  • bennett_346bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If its aligned correctly then the drag wont really be noticeable at all, but yes, physically there is some.
  • VWsurfbumVWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    richg1979 wrote:
    lookin at a pully that holds the lower part of the chain up near the crank to stop jumping of when hitting rough stuff but not a major problem so dont want it making any diffrence to xc runs and climbs.
    in that case you need something like this
    no drag and keeps the chain on. i use one and its great. [/url]
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • paul.skibumpaul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a Heim2 from E13 and as it makes a constant rumble I guess there is drag (noise = loss of energy = drag on my pedalling effort innit) but its not noticeable in terms of ride effort I dont think. I'd say 1.2% of effort lost on noise making. Give or take 5%. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp censored .