chain device drag???

richg1979
richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited July 2010 in MTB general
would you get any noticable drag from a chain device/tensioner?

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    You get a little more drag yes - but some are very smooth, some aren't. What're you looking at?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some devices no. most tensioners yes. they are not the same thing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    nicklouse wrote:
    some devices no. most tensioners yes. they are not the same thing.

What is the difference Nick?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i dont feel any drag with my chain device but i would imagine there must be some.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    lookin at a pully that holds the lower part of the chain up near the crank to stop jumping of when hitting rough stuff but not a major problem so dont want it making any diffrence to xc runs and climbs.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If its aligned correctly then the drag wont really be noticeable at all, but yes, physically there is some.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    richg1979 wrote:
    lookin at a pully that holds the lower part of the chain up near the crank to stop jumping of when hitting rough stuff but not a major problem so dont want it making any diffrence to xc runs and climbs.
    in that case you need something like this
    no drag and keeps the chain on. i use one and its great. [/url]
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a Heim2 from E13 and as it makes a constant rumble I guess there is drag (noise = loss of energy = drag on my pedalling effort innit) but its not noticeable in terms of ride effort I dont think. I'd say 1.2% of effort lost on noise making. Give or take 5%. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.