Best fingerless mitts

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I could do with some new fingerless gloves as my cheapy Trek ones are not offering me enough comfort in that muscular area at the base of the thumb (I get an ache like muscle bruising more than any kind of strain). I popped into Cycle Surgery before work this evening and tried on some Pearls, some Assos' and some Specialized, each supposedly with gel padding, and for one reason or another, was not that impressed. I'd really like something that's comfortable, breathes well, offers the requisite padding and has sweaty brow mopping capabilities. I consider gloves to be a fairly important piece of kit and so don't mind spending whatever it costs. Your thoughts, as always, would be appreciated.

Comments

• AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I've just bought these ...... they're great.

The only have one size left 3XL , (I always buy XL gloves) and they fit great.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=6&ID=2611

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I got a pair of these...They may not be ideal for comfort on long rides, but nobody misses my turning signals!
  • jonny_trousers
    Thanks MCR, but I reckon XL would be way too big for me.

Nice idea Zacharia. I may take it one stage further and go for these babies...

36258.jpg
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    You'd have to take a pair of scissors to them to make them fingerless.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Spesh BG Pro mitts. They are outstanding.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    <a>road</a>
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I like the Aldi ones, but you'll have to wait until May, sorry. £2.99 though bargainous.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526

Gonna get a lovely ridiculous tan on your hands from those! In all seriousness, I'm guessing they're REALLY nice...but at one hundred quid?!

Didn't Gore realease a white leather pair this summer? Remember thinking that they'd be quite nice to get but umming and ahhing at the forty-ish quid price bracket.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    +1 for the Specialized BG Pro
  • jonny_trousers

I want, I want, I want!!!

I've decided to be a good boy and hold off a while on buying a road bike so surely that justifies spending a fortune on a pair of exceptionally cool mitts. Surely..?

Thanks guys. The Spesh ones look very good for the price.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

and I raise you

http://www.rapha.cc/paul-smith-grand-tour-gloves

£175...bam

I've got a pair of Peral Izumiones that are great atm
    they're a bit like this
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C7809
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I've used the Specialized ones. Excellent padding. But they fell to bits after a couple of months (two pairs)

I've got a pair of Assos mitts. Very expensive. Wonderful wicking, would probably stay dry in a monsoon. Unfortunately they have almost no padding

Current favourites are these

http://www.inmotionproducts.com/product ... duct_id=GM

Cheapish, they really are washable and very good padding. On the minus side they are a bit "warm" for a mitt, material is too thick
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Clever Pun wrote:

God I hate Rapha. :x

you wont be getting the £54 key fob then??
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Probably not.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Do they still sell a leg shaving kit for £200...? :roll:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    prawny wrote:
    I like the Aldi ones, but you'll have to wait until May, sorry. £2.99 though bargainous.

Absolutely zero padding though. I bought some Specialized BG gloves from JE James for about £6.99 I think. They were 2XL but I wear them over the top of another pair and the padding is excellent. I was previously getting tingling in my little fingers from pressure on the ulnar nerves
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    Clever Pun wrote:

i actually have a pair of these:
    http://www.rapha.cc/pro-team-mitts

they are still overpriced at £50 but not massively so and i find them very comfortable. i have to admit that i prefer the simple styling and colours to a lot of the more typical cycling / power rangers stuff that is out there too. for me that's the thing with Rapha - i like the fact they are a bit different, and in general i like the way their clothing *looks* (never worn it) but there is a disconnect between product and price. kind of like burberry menswear or something. then this price premium gives them a really weird image problem where if you're wearing this simple, subtle style clothing you look like a pompous spendthrift.

but hey.

for mitts, if you are still looking, i'd say the only way is to just keep trying on different pairs and pretending to ride in them until you find the right one. and also the left one.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I rate the Gore Xenon mitts quite highly... around £25 as well.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prawny wrote:

Absolutely zero padding though. I bought some Specialized BG gloves from JE James for about £6.99 I think. They were 2XL but I wear them over the top of another pair and the padding is excellent. I was previously getting tingling in my little fingers from pressure on the ulnar nerves

Hmm I thought the padding was a bit much. I am a bit weird tho.

At the moment I'm risking a terrible road rash injury and wearing nothing on my hands, no comfort issues at all. Beautiful golden tan though 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I've got a pair of Alturas, they're OK, although my old Agu stringy ones from the 80s were the best ever, lasted forever and survived a number of 'offs' (I had these wicked scratches on the leather)

I thought I was the only person who wore mitts these days!!! Rarely see anyone else in them. I'm glad I'm not the only one...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

Oh, now I do like the look of those. I prefer them to the more expensive Paul Smith ones. The open back is particularly attractive; all my mitts these days have full backs, so I don't get that nice tanned area on the back of my hand. =(

£100... Man, that's a bit much for some track mitts. But maybe...

* Agent57 puts on hi-viz jacket so Rapha can see him coming
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jonny_trousers
    Well cheers for the tips guys! I just bought a pair of the Specialized BG pros thanks to the reccomendations here and so far they are just the job.
  • freddiegrubb
    freddiegrubb Posts: 448
    :arrow: Myself I find riding for team aldi is very gratifying, reasonable quality & extremely cheap. No good for a poseur but lets face it your kit is going to get sweaty & smelly so when it's been bashed on the rocks at the riverside by the bride it ain't going to last long. Buy plenty & cheap, replace as reqd. easy . I could have rode in the 59 TDF. but I had my paper-round to do. sad!!!!
  • Well cheers for the tips guys! I just bought a pair of the Specialized BG pros thanks to the reccomendations here and so far they are just the job.

Following on from this, I soon discovered the mitts mentioned above made my hand pain even worse and so now don't bother with any gloves. I could probably make my life more comfortable by changing the bar tape on my bike, but as I may trade it in soon...

Anyway, if anyone would like a pair of medium sized Spech BG pros that have been used about five times (black with tan) for fifteen quid then drop me a line.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I've found my Specialized gloves cause more pain than none. Just in the arch of my hands though, the rest of my hands feel better with them than without.

• Excellent mitts IMO. Mine are now almost 5 years old, nicely broken in but not worn out by a long, long way. So far then £20 per year, probably more like £10 by the time they need replacing. Which is much less than I've paid for not very comfortable mitts that fall apart after a year (or less).

Put another way, they cost less than four days' train fare for something I wear 20 or so hours per week much of the year for over 5 years.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    suzyb wrote:
    I've found my Specialized gloves cause more pain than none. Just in the arch of my hands though, the rest of my hands feel better with them than without.

If you're riding the Giant in your sig, have you looked at the angle of your handlebars?

Mine were angled down, like yours appear to be, and I was getting some pain in the Vs of my hands. I went for a bike fitting and Scherrit took one look at the bike and decided to point the bars much more upwards, moving the shifters down too.
    This meant a smoother, flatter transition between hand positions on the flats and the hoods, a greater number of hand positions, and no more hand pain as a much greater area of my hand was taking the weight.

It does require un-taping and re-taping the bars, but that's not an impossible task.

...just saying because it stuck in my mind, really.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I bought my first pair of specialized bg mitsp back in 2006/7

I loved them, my favourite gloves/mitts. Couldn't have been more comfortable if it was made out of latex and ribbed.

I bought a replacement pair these

Just as good.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game