Speed...

2»

Comments

• Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Yes, sometimes (I use a GPS for post-ride analysis [bragging rights]), but I'm me. You're you and will have to make up your own mind about putting a computer on your fixie. Perhaps you could fit a really large one to your back/left shoulder for the benefit of all those poor saps you scalp ;)
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    My 3 year old likes to get pushed at speed on dad's bike, just so she can see "the numbers". Also, puts on the hr monitor and runs madly round the kitchen to see her "numbers". Seems to be natural instinct, so don't fight it. :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • dUNC
    dUNC Posts: 73
    Always, always, always have computer on my commuter (only bike) - always feel lost without it when it doesn't work or forget it, I use my 16 mile each way commute to race myself, get fitter and it's vital in pushing me harder to beat that PB.

...that was until it came unclipped and dropped down the drain on the way home the other day - oops! :(

And since then every ride has been far more enjoyable, recovery is quicker and it's easier to get on the bike in the morning! So maybe "always, always, always" needs to become "sometimes" - but I'm sure it will make me lazy. My new bike arrives soon so I'll be fitting my new Cateye v3 and thrashing it! :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,357
    I miss DDD

His musings on alternative relationships between Distance Speed and Time are sorely missed.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I've been riding so much better (on my road bike) ever since my speed-o ran out of juice about a year ago.

So liberating.

When i first started going out without I was reminded why I actually liked cycling.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ... the new fixie...
    So. How is it? ...or did I miss that post...?
    Cheers,
    W.
    PS I have a cheap comp on my commuter set to show cadence. I can convert to speed if I want to.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    ... the new fixie...
    Cheers,
    W.
    PS I have a cheap comp on my commuter set to show cadence. I can convert to speed if I want to.

I like it very much thanks! :D

I don't really want to put the garmin on it, even though it would match (yay for orange things) because I'll lose it. Oh yes I will, somehow. I only really use the garmin in London for navigation.

Hmmmm. I'm not sure! Well, maybe I'll try the garmin. At least it's wireless and I'm not paying for another comp. Interesting to note people's reasoning.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    iPete wrote:
    Speed? If I drop below 18mph my pedometer will explode killing everything within a 50 meter radius.

I take it that you RLJ then. And jump off the bike whilst still moving (I'm thinking of the end of the Father Ted episode "Speed 3")...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Don't see much point in knowing my speed on the commute as it's up and down. You get the chance to hammer it for a bit then you have to slow right down for traffic. Whatever your average is at the end is hardly representative of what speed you could have attained if you'd been able to push yourself if there'd been no traffic, lights, pedestrians in the way...

I suppose it depends how crap your commute route is. Leeds isn't busy enough to slow you down that much so variables such as traffic lights are still less of an impact on overall speed than wind conditions.

Today, I had an early start and a late finish (had to go to Birmingdump for the second day running) - that meant quieter roads. Yesterday I did the round trip in 1:10:36 - inbound was a respectable 31:12 but nasty headwinds on the way home meant a slow 39:24.

For once the gods of things that blow listened to my whining - today I got in in a record (I think) 29:06 but an incredibly rare tailwind home gave me a 32:3 home (probably close to a 5 minute gain on previous record) - total 1:01:36. Of course, knowing I had a rare tailwind meant I fought all the way to keep speed up and it felt great when I looked down at the computer to see my time. If I had't had the computer, it would have been just another commute home.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hmmmm. I'm not sure! Well, maybe I'll try the garmin. At least it's wireless and I'm not paying for another comp. Interesting to note people's reasoning.

Or just get a Lidl computer for buttons :lol: A fiver should be enough.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    If you're going fast then it's nice to know so you can brag :)

There's some decent hills here so it's always a good game to see if you can beat last week's top speed down the hill.

It's also (not?) nice to know that you're doing 30 mph when cars are zooming past you in built up areas with schoolkids running around :?

Overall time is more important to me though (suppose that's equivalent to average).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    As it's a fixie, you should be able to work out the speed fairly accurately if you know what cadence you are doing. Something to keep the mind busy on your commute. Before my computer stopped working (in the dry), I had it set in kmh and quite enjoyed converting to mph as I rode. I realise this is a bit odd.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love my Garmin 705, added another dimension to my riding, plus it allow me to impress my friends by uploading to Garmin Connect, then posting links to my Facebook profile. ;););)

I should add they're only impressed as they're mostly non-cyclists.

But really, I do find knowing average speed to be just as important as current speed, then I compare the two and always aim to get my current above the average, which of course over time makes the average higher, which makes you have to go quicker ect ect.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    gaz545 wrote:
    I say yes... just so i can do stuff like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtWLl_e-BbE

Wow, that's pretty awesome, how did you do that?
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Ever since I was 5 I yearned for a speedo on my bike. I have grown out of that now. :wink:

Set to kph so I can pretend I'm quick...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    ... the new fixie...
    Cheers,
    W.

I like it very much thanks! :D

I don't really want to put the garmin on it, even though it would match (yay for orange things) because I'll lose it. Oh yes I will, somehow. I only really use the garmin in London for navigation.

I have two other computers. I got fed up with one (Cateye) because first the cadence sensor stopped working, then the speed sensor kept moving out of line as well, plus the need to replace four pricey batteries every so often....the other (Tchibo) proved OK at first, but speed readings became massively inaccurate when it got a bit windy.
    Garmin, by comparison... It just works. Doesn't get confused or stop working, 'cept in a tunnel (have the speed/cadence sensor, can't be bothered to use it). Move it between bikes with no bother (and I have three different wheel sizes too), easy to recharge the battery.....
    I have to admit though, if you can find a cheap one that works right, go with that, leave the Garmin for when you need the bells & whistles....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Gaz, how does that work? Is the camera linked to your speedo or something?

It looks in the vid like you're going more slowly than the speedo maintains...!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990

On the one hand, it's quite nice not knowing how fast I'm going, because then I'm not focusing on it, but on the other I don't know if I'm having a slow day!

That's exactly how I feel. I want a computer on the roadie as on long rides it's invaluable, but on the foxie, as well as it spoiling the look, I don't really care how fast I'm going, especially as I know it's for the most part slower than I ride on the radie, and who wants to be reminded of that?

Gaz - you're only supposed to scalp them, not decapitate them! (though really, as LiT says, are you sure you've calibrated it right? Chapeau either way!)
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493

The data is taken from my Garmin, and overlayed onto the video afterwards. I've recently gone thorugh a speed sensor and it was 1mph faster than what was displayed on my garmin, so i guess it's pretty close to accurate.
    The problem is the camera has a wide lens of 135 degrees, this means that images at the edge can be stretched and rounded. Meaning trying to gauge speed from watching a video is very hard.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    gaz545 wrote:

The data is taken from my Garmin, and overlayed onto the video afterwards. I've recently gone thorugh a speed sensor and it was 1mph faster than what was displayed on my garmin, so i guess it's pretty close to accurate.
    The problem is the camera has a wide lens of 135 degrees, this means that images at the edge can be stretched and rounded. Meaning trying to gauge speed from watching a video is very hard.

Otherwise it looks like your going slower ;-) That was an awesome video tho and I can remember from our brief encounter you're no slouch :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    gaz545 wrote:
    Otherwise it looks like your going slower ;-) That was an awesome video tho and I can remember from our brief encounter you're no slouch :-D
    I can say the same for yourself.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I've got one but I don't use it - my rides aren't long enough - and anyway, the mount's on the London steed which does stop - start rather than the sunny Bucks one which does more miles (although not much more)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I can take it or leave it on commute, my MTB computer the sensor battery was dead for weeks and I didn't bother changing it, just used it as a stopwatch. Computer on my alu roadie may be incorrectly calibrated (either that or I'm going a lot better than I feel at the moment) - had me at pushing 50mph down Anerley Hill last night, I'm not convinced I was going that fast!
  • I used to have a speedo on all my bikes. The one on my main commuter bike stopped and I never replaced it. I also put on very slow Marathon tyres. I sometimes check the iphone cyclemeter results but only every few rides. My new Mad One didn’t have one. But then I fitted a cadence computer and was surprised at how fast I was going. I’d done some fast training rides but mostly slow commutes and one slow very long ride. I now think that going as I feel has helped my speed enormously.
  • LIT, this is strange....I'm having the same dillemma.

Never used a computer before but now wondering whether to strap one atop my Genesis Flyer.

Only diff is I'm still riding SS. Not had the balls like you to go fixed quite yet. Hang on....
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I only just got my first computer (el cheapo Blackburn), purely because I was curious of the exact distance of my commute (2.4 miles apparently) and my speed (slow).