Speed...

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I've not yet added a computer to the new fixie, and I can't decide whether to do so or not.

On the one hand, it's quite nice not knowing how fast I'm going, because then I'm not focusing on it, but on the other I don't know if I'm having a slow day!

So I'm interested in the opinions of others!

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I am not that bothered about speed, but like to know distance. Also seeing my average speed increase is fantastic. For instance, last year I was touring with full panniers at about 11mph, doing 45 miles. At the weekend there I did 87 miles with full panniers at average of 14mph.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    My cateye strada is on it's way, I'd like to know how fast I'm going - so I can turn it into a game.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i hate not knowing all the intricate details that my garmin can tell me.

why not just get a garmin mount and move it from bike to bike LiT?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Used to have a computer on my commuter, but took it off. Got to the point where I was taking too many risks to beat PBs. Feels like it is much more relaxed (and safer) to just go with the flow.

Always ride with a computer when on road bike. Like to compare my pain with performance :)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    I like to know so when I know I'm naughtily pootling I have physical evidence and will then mtfu and put some more power down.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Just added a speedo to the Orbea last night, didn't enjoy things as much without it. I like to know how awesome I'm being. Or not, in the case of this morning.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I have had them on the commute bike, but to be honest, they don't add much to the party. for myself any way.

I know what time I leave the house etc so I know the average and so on. and since it's a commute bike I tend to go on the same route.
  • re-cycles
    re-cycles Posts: 107
    I'd get way too depressed if I knew for sure how slowly I was going! :wink:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's a must-have. Stats & info is the whole reason for riding a bike, to see how fast you can go, to get the cadence up, to improve on previous numbers, and being able to announce that terminal velocity down Poundon Hill this morning was 46mph or whatever. Cycling without the computer is like errr something that is strangely analagous to cycling, without a computer. Probably.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I don't use one on the commuter
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I do have computers on my bikes. But I only really look at the time while I'm riding. I log my distance etc on bikejournal, and it's good motivation. I'm never tempted to do anything daft prompted by the numbers.

My fixed is trad styled, so a computer on the bars doesn't look right. I fitted the sensor to the rear wheel and put the head unit on the seatpost, concealed by the saddlebag.

I've found it makes no difference to my times whether I can see the display or not.

The only thing I do do when riding my usual commuter is use it as a clock, and keep an eye on overall times, to ensure I am making decent progress. There are certain places I would expect to be at 3, 10, 15, 30 & 45mins on my way to work, and 3, 5, 15, 30, 45 & 55mins on the return journey.
    Riding on 531
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Couldn't care less around town. Good for rides over 180 miles tho'.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Don't use the 705 on the commute, but it's on for pretty much every other ride now, no matter how short. So much less of a pain than my oldfangled computers with sensors, much more convenient to use. As I'm trying to keep the mileage up, it saves me working out how far I've travelled with BRT etc. And much easier to track average speeds etc. That said, I know how hard I'm working on the bike...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Kazz_uk
    Kazz_uk Posts: 73
    re-cycles wrote:
    I'd get way too depressed if I knew for sure how slowly I was going! :wink:

What he said :)
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    for the poll - no i prefer not to know.

for opinion - i've had them on bikes in the past but just recently got a new bike and have kind of enjoyed just having the experience of the speed without the HUD. this may be a personality thing, i also get annoyed with myself for looking at page numbers when reading books and kind of wish they weren't there. also trying to catch the exact moment my odometer ticks up another thousand miles has led to some questionable safety situations in the past.

for a fixed gear bike - guessing short range / utility? i'd definitely go without. keep the you / bike / road purity fixed thing.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    diplomacy wrote:
    i also get annoyed with myself for looking at page numbers when reading books

:? :shock:

that's plain weird my friend :lol:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    for my commuter bikes yes, for the mills.... no
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I bought a Cateye V3 on the weekend to replace a Cateye Strada that gave up the ghost.

Most of the time I like to know the stats so my main bike has one fitted.

However last week I got my old steel Peugeot out of the shed with no computer attached and with a broken front deraillure, rode into town and did some shopping, called for my mum and we both cycled back to my place - it was really nice to just pootle around and not chase numbers, the steel was lovely and comfy too.

LiT, If I were you I'd leave it off your new bike - unless your using it for training but I'm guessing that's what your lovely Viner is for.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Speed isn't as important as heart rate for me, but the two go hand in hand. I like to know roughly how hard I have to work for a set speed, and if I'm doing an interval set it's handy to know how fast you're going at the end of the first set as it then gives me a target to aim for on each subsequent set. It's odd but I know roughly how my body reacts and feels at certain levels of exertion, and never look at my HR or speed when I'm racing, but I always have to use the HR monitor keep myself at a low level if I'm on a recovery ride.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Speed? If I drop below 18mph my pedometer will explode killing everything within a 50 meter radius.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I have realized tho, especially since I've been sticking to a single gear, that I can normally estimate my speed fairly accurately from my cadence and the other external inputs.....
    I've also found that if I don't consciously check my speed that often I tend to ride a lot smoother and get a higher average :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Easy answer:

I like to know that I'm going faster than the guy I left at the lights. So far, haven't needed a computer to tell me :) I also care about how long it takes to get there, which my watch can tell me. And when not commuting, I ride for pleasure and convenience, so care about my precise speed even less.

More considered answer:

If I really want to improve my fixed gear cycling style (or investigate other kinds of cycling beyond commuting and general navigation around London), then good information about speed and cadence and the like would be helpful. Also, with 20mph speed limits being ever more common around London, I really ought to be more conscious of my speed.

So I ticked "Not Sure". I'll probably be getting a cycle computer, just don't want to become obsessive about the data. And am resistant to handlebar clutter.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Personally hate clutter on the bars. I've got through 20 odd years of touring without one doubt I'll start now. I do have a mate with a cadence computer on his fixie so he knows his new max rpm! Scares the Willies out of me :)
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I don't have one on the commuter, but do on the TT bike...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I was only interested in speed / time during the first week of my commute, just to get an idea of how fast I was averaging/maxing out at, and how long it took.

Now I realise that no matter how hard I push, I always seem to get to work around the same time, give or take a5 mins either way.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I like to keep a record of my average speed rather than current speed. Gives me a better indication on "how I'm doing".
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Don't see much point in knowing my speed on the commute as it's up and down. You get the chance to hammer it for a bit then you have to slow right down for traffic. Whatever your average is at the end is hardly representative of what speed you could have attained if you'd been able to push yourself if there'd been no traffic, lights, pedestrians in the way... Don't usually look down at the computer for my current speed as I'm usually more focused on the traffic.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Whatever your average is at the end is hardly representative of what speed you could have attained if you'd been able to push yourself if there'd been no traffic, lights, pedestrians in the way...

I take your point and yes, I do get frustrated at red-lights when I'm on a flyer. However, my commuting forms a huge part of my training, so I like to know if I'm improving or not.

Oh and someone I know, got up very, very early one summer's morning and blasted to work on their TT bike, only to turn round and blast home, just to see what sort of time and average speed was actually possible, without having to worry about the traffic. (Obviously I'm assured that they did obey the highway code and were able to 'time' the lights without any traffic making this difficult).
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have a computer on the bike...but I rarely turn it on for commuting....

my commute is not long enough to form any part of training (other than just keeps the legs spinning every day...)

I use it most on the lead up to big events....10@Kirroughtree is next weekend..I am in a pair, so am looking to hold an 11-12 mph average over 5 hours offroad.....

Doing a big ride this weekend, so will get a good idea of my current endurance pace then.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Whatever your average is at the end is hardly representative of what speed you could have attained if you'd been able to push yourself if there'd been no traffic, lights, pedestrians in the way...

I take your point and yes, I do get frustrated at red-lights when I'm on a flyer. However, my commuting forms a huge part of my training, so I like to know if I'm improving or not.

Oh and someone I know, got up very, very early one summer's morning and blasted to work on their TT bike, only to turn round and blast home, just to see what sort of time and average speed was actually possible, without having to worry about the traffic. (Obviously I'm assured that they did obey the highway code and were able to 'time' the lights without any traffic making this difficult).

Commuting can certainly make up a large part of training, I'm sure that the acceleration and deceleration probably acts a bit ilke fartlek training! However the speed at the end is meaningless as you may be on top form yet get stuck behind slow moving traffic. For example at the moment, there are masses of roadworks from St Pauls towards Holborn and I always get stuck at a snails pace there at the moment. I've got no choice, I have to pootle at walking pace.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.