Popped My Cherry

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
200m from the office this morning and some colossal wizard's sleeve decides to step out at the pedestrian crossing outside White City tube whilst my light is green.

I'm doing low to mid 20's so heavy on the brakes and the back end is all over the place before I eventually go over the bars next to him. It's at this point that looks up form his iPhone.

Words are exchanged. Mine are mainly unprintable and he just keeps repeating that he didn't see me. Of course he didnt, you actually have to look to see someone. Oddly I feel like an adult talking to a child; yes I'm angry that he caused me to crash, but I'm also concerned that I could have been a car or something.

Anyway, I just want to get away so i give the bike a quick check and ride off, I didn't even ask for his details or anything. It was low speed and I've got one very tiny graze and a lump under my knee, which is a little sore. No damage to clothing and the bike seems to be fine (apart from the cheap bottle holder which seems to have expanded when the bottle fell out).

Grr, so angry I could crush a grape.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• Bloody cyclists, they're a menace.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I nearly had over some student on her mobile on my last bike commute to work (been ofsite for 2 weeks in a car), and yes you understand why driving on a mobile is banned (non hands free at least) as some people clearly forget everything else around them!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    People are, generally speaking, idiots.
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    I was looking at the roadster telsa, electric sports car. It got me thinking, if pedestrians don't look for cyclists because they can't hear the engine noise.. :roll: I wonder if they'll walk on electric sports cars...

Not that I know if they make much noise, but it would serve them right!!!
  • VespaTrek
    VespaTrek Posts: 72
    I have to admit that I was about to cross Cheapside a couple of mornings ago coming out of the tube / One Poultry and looked up the road which was empty of cars and almost stepped out in front of a bike - they were riding close to the pavement and at first glance obscured for a split second by the arm of someone walking on the pavement near the edge. Fortunately I tend to double check... No excuses, but there are so many people around and at first I just didn't see the bike.
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Glad you're alright buddy and the bike is fine too. As my dad always said (more when teaching me DIY) there is no such as an accident just someone being careless.

How indeed can you see someone when you're on an iphone looking at emails (for instance)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    dancook wrote:
    I was looking at the roadster telsa, electric sports car. It got me thinking, if pedestrians don't look for cyclists because they can't hear the engine noise.. :roll: I wonder if they'll walk on electric sports cars...

Generally when trams are introduced to somewhere new they knock down a few people before people get used to the whole "there are big quiet things that hurt on the roads now" thing.

So yes, I guess electric cars will have the same effect, though with one of those g-whizz things I am not sure which would come off worse.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Nearly hit 3 iPeds yesterday, not one of them looked before they crossed the road. I saw them well before and slowed down though. Good job I wasn't distracted by something else.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • asprilla
    Knee is beginning to feel very sore indeed now. Should have got some details from him.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Asprilla wrote:
    Knee is beginning to feel very sore indeed now. Should have got some details from him.

Should have ploughed into him and landed on top of him - thus breaking both your fall and (with any luck) his iPhone in one move :twisted:
    Misguided Idealist
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,637
    Asprilla wrote:

Should have ploughed into him and landed on top of him - thus breaking both your fall and (with any luck) his iPhone in one move :twisted:

I've often fantasised about ripping the iPlonker out of the ped/driver's hand, chucking it on the tarmac and repeatedly stamping on it. Not done it yet though....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    Bloody cyclists, they're a menace.
    can't stand them persoally :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Asprilla wrote:
    200m from the office this morning and some colossal wizard's sleeve decides to step out at the pedestrian crossing outside White City tube whilst my light is green.

is that the automatic word swap function?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kazz_uk
    Kazz_uk Posts: 73
    Gussio wrote:
    People are, generally speaking, idiots.

This is one of the few bits of info I've learnt from these forums that has stuck into my head. Presume all people, pedestrians & motorists are complete and utter idiots. Makes cycling a lot safer, although slowing down whenever you see a gonk staring into his / her phone can be a bit annoying.
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've had SMIDSY moments about cars, i've looked and simply not seen them... Somehow they don't seem to like the SMIDSY line either...
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    Should have ploughed straight into them and let them feel the pain for their own stupidity. How else will they learn ?

DB
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • asprilla
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Wizard's sleeve (also known as a clown's pocket) is, according to Rodger's Profanasaurus, a particularly capacious sausage wallet.

It's one of my favourite phrases.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    what about the people crossing when it's red, who knows you're there but stroll across casually like grandma.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The number of peds who walk out into traffic without looking, relying on herd mentality, moving with the person in front or their sense of hearing is astounding. Loads of people make that 1st step onto the road, off the kerb, without looking, then once they're on the tarmac start looking around, especially when motor traffic is stoppsed in a queue or slow moving, but by that time they've been mown down by a bike in the cycle lane. As said previously there will surely be a fair few fatalities when electric cars become more widespread
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I think a chap called Darwin had something to say on the subject 8)
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Asprilla wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Wizard's sleeve (also known as a clown's pocket) is, according to Rodger's Profanasaurus, a particularly capacious sausage wallet.

It's one of my favourite phrases.

Likes this :twisted:
  • Mussorgsky
    Mussorgsky Posts: 12
    Funnily enough, I had a similar accident on the Kings Road this Monday evening. While filtering, had to brake v. sharply for a scooter; almost locked up the front wheel, went over the bars. When I looked up, the scooter (and just about everyone else) had gone; the only people to stop were some nice blokes in a van going the other way. I actually think no one on my side of the road noticed my presence at all, accident or not.

Grazed my left knee and knocked it in the process of landing on all fours; it's still a bit sore / stiff, so am resting it. It seems to be getting better though. Blows to the side of the knee are meant to be worse than those from the front. A few other bumps also, probably from my bag. I see a case for panniers; they make for a lower centre of gravity if nothing else.

The takeaway moral is: keep some distance from scooters. They're not predictable. And don't push too hard when moving through gridlocked traffic: I fully admit to being a bit sharp elbowed that evening.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Same thing happened to me although it wasnt at a cross road.

A bin man of all people walked infront of me looking the wrong way! I am tempted to claim for new white bar tape after a slight scuff!

Not only that, I had to spend the rest of my journey stinky of his flourecent over coat which was far from pleasent. Oh and i missed my train... tw-at!
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    i have a few of those idiots every week, people around here use the cycle lane as a pavement extension, not just peds but tools reversing out of their driveway. One of these days someone is going to get a nasty surprise (just as likely to be me).
    FCN 12
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Next time just take the 'phone or music player out of their hands telling them they're clearly not able to use it responsibly and ride off with the thing. I dare say they'll learn not to do it again.

I don't actually advocate theft, but I have fantasized about doing this a couple of times
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    dancook wrote:

Actually had a iPed blame me once for a near miss because "I couldn't hear you coming" !!

When someone is that stupid it's not even worth trying to argue your point.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    The headline at www.bbc.co.uk is "Tech Trance - How dangerous is it to walk and talk, with the following image

p008mt00_640_215.jpg

Not an iPhone, but your point stands :-)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Asprilla wrote:

We are of one mind. Some silly moo stepped out onto a bike lane in front of me yesterday, brakes remained untouched but some polite advice was offered. I think she's probably got over it by now... :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Amazing isn't it? And yet some folk still seem to think it's safe to drive while doing this.
  • asprilla
    will3 wrote:
    Amazing isn't it? And yet some folk still seem to think it's safe to drive while doing this.

I don't doubt that some might be able to, but then I remember my mate Richard who is incapable of walking and talking at the same time. He's fine when listening to you, but when it's his turn to speak to stops dead. Every single time. He just can't help it.

I think more people are like this than actually realise it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3