coloured spokes?

2»

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    njee20 wrote:
    Have they got heavier than? That's more than the weight difference to the ZTR Podium rims too. Is that not just the Ultralite, which comes with 355s according to their website, perhaps now updated to Crests?

You can over do the colour, although there's not enough green out there IMO!

This looks amazing, Specialized should take note:

4381042830_dfe552203a.jpg

pbpic4517704.jpg

Does look good - almost as good as the Berserker Green Cannondales!!! :P
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • njee20 wrote:
    Have they got heavier than? That's more than the weight difference to the ZTR Podium rims too. Is that not just the Ultralite, which comes with 355s according to their website, perhaps now updated to Crests?
    1320g for front and back wheels, Can't comment on If that means they've got heavier.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Aah, you said 1360g, although I could've sworn they were 1300g dead when I last looked.

At 1320g I definitely reckon you could build a stiffer wheelset of the same weight, with no weight/pressure limit on the rims!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Okay, so if i've got 719 rims on pro 2 hubs what is going to be a lighter option without going narrower or weaker? Ideally coming in pimpy colours?

Carbon rims don't look hugely lighter than aluminium ones...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    does anyone make magnesium rims?
  • njee20
    Carbon rims don't look hugely lighter than aluminium ones...

The DT XRC 300 (cunningly renamed from the XRC 330 despite still weighing 330g!) aren't that light, nor are most of the others that are built into wheelsets, many of which are just carbon skins on alu rims.

Innolite do a 250g clincher, the XCC250, big money though. Then Edge, AX-Lightness and Innolite all do tubs around 215g.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money on carbon rims, be interested to see pricing on the new Rovals though.

ZTR Crests will be lighter than the 719s, whilst being lighter and just as tough.
  • ride_whenever
    Hmmm the crests look the ticket, i now need some pimpy hubs and more sapim cx-ray spokes...
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    in response to the original query here you go
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CUSTOM-LENGTH-STA ... 3cae0a09dd
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • njee20
    Don't bother with CX-Rays, just get Revolutions, unless you really do break a lot of spokes.

How pimpy?

DT240s would get my vote for a sensible option.

Tune Prince/Princess if you want something a bit crazy that comes in a full range of colours.

Extralite Ultrahub SPDs if you want something really stupid and just intend to hang your wheels on scales.
  • ride_whenever
    I like the strength, not sure i'd trust the super skinny revs, but i've built with cx-ray before and it was a pleasurable experience.

By pimpy, they need to be red... and 20mm bolt through.
  • njee20
    Tune King/Kong MK

The problem with CX-Rays is more when you come to true them and they wind up a treat! Their fatigue strength is higher than Revs, but there's no other advantage at all. I've had 3 sets of wheels with them, but just wouldn't bother again frankly! I'm pretty light though I must say.

I've found I break nipples instead now, happened several times. You make the spoke stronger, so the next weak link breaks!
  • ride_whenever
    I'm not light by any earthbound comparison.

I've got one of those natty spoke holder so the winding up isn't an issue for me!

Might look into the king/kong hubs, I'm sensing a very silly lightweight wheelset coming up for the 456 imminently.
  • njee20
    I've got one of those natty spoke holder so the winding up isn't an issue for me!

It is once the nipples have seized! The plus side is that CX-Rays will continue to work just fine with a 180 degree twist in them!

If you really want CX-Rays, look at some of the German shops, they use them a lot and do nice builds for a sensible price.
  • njee20
    These look good, dunno about 20mm through axle though!