coloured spokes?

weemo1rush
weemo1rush Posts: 78
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hi just wanted to find out if anybody has found decent coloured spokes. not silver or black.
I am just about to build up a white industries eno hub on to atomlab rim and wanted to use coloured spokes. ive searched but all i can find is bmx ones .
cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ooh, bump this thread.
    I'd love my next wheels to have green or red spokes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Just turn it into a scraper bike lol
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Ive seen purple spokes used on BMX's, only ever seen silver black and white on MTB's
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    DT do white Aerolites and Competitions, they're hilariously expensive, particularly considering you can just scratch the paint off with your nail.

Industry 9 do various colour options in their wheels, not cheap though.

Or, you could just mask the threads and paint them. Someone on Weight Weenies did some red ones, they looked really good!
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    id go with painting stock metal ones mate, you'll get more satisfaction and save money for more shiney bits!
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    I'm sure that you could contact a company and get standard spokes anodized if you are after a perfect finish. There's been a few threads on here about people getting their frames done. Couldn't say how much that would be though, as I don't know enough about the process...
  • njee20
    You can't really anodise steel. You can anodise ti spokes with a can of coke and a 9v battery though!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I want some of these, the are blue and gold or tie-die Ti spokes:

Spokes_TiFlite_Multi_MainImage.jpg
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    You can alwys Zinc coat normal spokes. Gives a gold finish. You can buy kits cheap.
  • njee20
    Can of spray paint's cheaper :-)

Can't find the thread on Weight Weenies, they looked pretty good though.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    paint or get ti ones (expensive... not sure they exist) and ano.

Paint's prob the best bet.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ride_whenever
    Spokes flex and give, unless you use rather flexible paint it will come off and look very tatty.

The Ti spokes i linked to above are dear, but awesome!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ti flex even more as well. Don't build very stiff wheels.
  • ride_whenever
    But I assume the finish wont come off the ti spokes as it is bonded to the surface far better than pain is likely to be.
  • njee20
    Correct, being anodised it won't come off, although it could still wear off at the spoke intersections, as with black spokes.

However, ti spokes being insanely flexy only belong in stupidly light wheelsets, under light riders, and I'd personally use Pillar rather than Marwi if I was really going down that route.

The white DT spokes are only powdercoated, it doesn't seem to come off, spokes don't flex that much!
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I think this needs further investigation, so if someone can buy me some of these, I'd happily take one one for the team and test them:
    i9_bronze_rr.jpg
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • njee20
    I9 wheels do look good, I'm just not sure about them! Be interested to try a set.

They claim superior stiffness on their 'Ultralite Race' wheels, which are 1300g but I'll wager a similar set using lighter hubs and heavier rims would be the same weight, and likely tougher and stiffer.

The green is seriously pimp though.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Oooh Oooh just been playing with the Industry Nine colour picker. Okay who do I have to kill to own a set :P
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    My LBS had some of those gold/orange I9s on a custom build recently - they're so pimp it hurts!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    White rims and hubs, with green spokes! HELl YEAH!
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    I9's are super pimp they are very stiff and the 120 engagment is unbeliveable

i will get another pair next year to replace my DT XRC330 / 240's or when a sunday call-in comes my way :D

In the 18 months i ran mine they were rock soild the rear bearings went after 3 months but the replacments were still going strong when they were half inched.
  • ride_whenever
    anyone know what sort of weight these come in, RED ones would look ace on the carbon 456.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    anyone know what sort of weight these come in, RED ones would look ace on the carbon 456.

The Xross Country wheels come in at 1610 grams and the All Mountain wheels at 1750 grams but they do an ultralite race wheel at 1300 grams though I dont think they would suit a 456
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    The 1300g ones use the now obsolete ZTR Race 7000 rim (76kg weight and 35psi pressure limit ie race only!), so I don't know if they're actually still using the old rims, or if they've just not updated their website to show the Podium MMX. Like I say though, I reckon you could build a stiffer set of wheels using Alpine rims for the same weight and less cost.

I like the look of the carbon Roval Controles for next year, their alu ones are pretty good, I reckon the carbon ones should be pretty stiff for a 1200g wheelset! They've got some red spokes too!

That is until I can afford some Innolite XCC250s on Tune Prince/Princess hubs!
  • anyone know what sort of weight these come in, RED ones would look ace on the carbon 456.

Well the Ultralight Race I9's come in at 1360g for both wheels, but I imagine those are expensive and comparatively fragile.

I'm looking at having my bike refinished in lime green at the end of the summer, and replacing the wheels with something lighter, I reckon that Black-Green-Black wheels on a Lime Frame with all black fittings will look pretty slick
  • njee20
    Have they got heavier than? That's more than the weight difference to the ZTR Podium rims too. Is that not just the Ultralite, which comes with 355s according to their website, perhaps now updated to Crests?

You can over do the colour, although there's not enough green out there IMO!

This looks amazing, Specialized should take note:

4381042830_dfe552203a.jpg

pbpic4517704.jpg
  • weemo1rush
    ok so i am no thinking of getting some painted but somebody did mention that the paint might crack with movement. Im thinking of using an etch primer then a whacky 2 pac paint?
  • njee20
    To be honest I reckon you'd be fine with most stuff! I'd just use a primer then Halfords spray paint or sommat. Spokes don't flex all that much.
  • weemo1rush
    will post my out come cheers guys