What is it with the move to double chainsets?

2»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I do 95% of my riding in the big ring, albeit only a 42, double is the way forward.
  • It's the way forward, when my drivetrain is knackered I think I might try a 1 x 10. Don't miss the outer ring at all, totally pointless for the riding I do, and a liability when I land badly.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Think on my Anthem i might drop to a double up front and a 10 speed cassette.
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    I've always used a single or double ring up front. Had to add a granny ring to my usual arrangement when I got the coiler.

I found that I only ever used the big ring on roads (so not really suited to coilery goodness anyway) or when gravity could have done the job better than me anyway.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Last week I banged the big cog trying to bunny hop over a 12" barrier, luckily it was the wooden ones not the metal tubes. I only use the 42t on the road never on the trail as I don't want to think to much on gear selection. If I have to I'll mash up.

The granny gear 22t gets used a few times, but up steep dry banks I tend to spin the rear wheel trying to get grip. I could put better knobbly tyres on, but the ones I have are fast and very tough.

Next bike might be a double, I'll wait and see.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I run a 22/36 up front and 11/32 cassette. If I can get away with not using the granny for the next couple of months I may got to a single upfront but een then I'd probably drop to a 34t...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3