What is it with the move to double chainsets?

othello
othello Posts: 578
edited July 2010 in MTB general
It seems that every manufacturer and his dog are moving to double chainsets for 2011, at least for trail bikes. Specialized for example...

Can someone explain the reasoning for me? I assume that with 10 speed cassettes you can still get the gear range, but is that really true? How useful would they really be for anything other than a trail centre?
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    People like the extra clearance and are using the higher ratios less and less.

All depends on what you want. Plenty of triple options still.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    given the chunk of wood my chain ring took out a log the other day, i for one can already see the advantage :lol:
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    2 is still 1 too many

slainte :P rob
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    i have been running two on my bikes for years as do the majority of people i ride with in the s wales area i guess others do the same and the big companies were recognising a trend.its lighter as well
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    pHz wrote:
    2 is still 1 too many

+1. 1x9 or 1X10 is ample for off-road use.
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    I never use the big ring off road, but most rides I do have to include a few miles of hardpack/tarmac, and let's face it I want to get those bits out of the way as quickly as possible.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • supersonic
    nickfrog wrote:
    pHz wrote:
    2 is still 1 too many

For you maybe lol. Not for me.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    nickfrog wrote:
    pHz wrote:
    2 is still 1 too many

Depends on where you ride really!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Some of us still need a triple. You need a big ring for on road use and downhill, middle ring for tricky singletrack and the little ring for the biggest climbs (I climbed 1100 feet in about 1km yesterday).

I can't understand why so few folk don't feel the need for a 42/44 big ring. Maybe I'm missing something.......... Don't you just spin out on the fast bits?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    I swapped the 22T and 32T on my triple for 26T and 36T. The large 42T ring is still on, but I never use it. I am effectively using a 2x9 setup and it works great for me.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm slowly working towards 1x9 I think but I can't make it work yet, not with a decently high ring anyway... I need my grovelling gears. But I'm yet to miss the big ring on either mtb just like I don't miss the granny ring on my commuter.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    nickfrog wrote:
    pHz wrote:
    2 is still 1 too many
    true - its VERY flat round here - local bridelways and thetford / sherwood (my 2 closest centres) arent exactly mountainous

but having said that - on my travels ive ridden dalby and laggan reds without too much hassle on my 38T x 12-32 (1 x 7) hardtail set up

slainte :) rob
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog wrote:
    pHz wrote:
    2 is still 1 too many

Fair enough. Might not work in the Alps.
    The 11-36 10-speed cassette will make it more and more difficult to justify not giving it a go though. I have switched to 1x9 2 weeks ago as I could not be bothered waiting for the 10-speed and frankly, for the South Downs it's perfect, at least for me.
    Not having a front mech/shifter is a revelation. Everything becomes more instinctive and the ride flows incredibly well.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    pHz wrote:
    but having said that - on my travels ive ridden dalby and laggan reds without too much hassle on my 38T x 12-32 (1 x 7) hardtail set up

Fair play but laggan red's got the laziest climb I've ever done! Not to mention the shortest most pointless uplift :lol: It's the mere existance of total f****rs like Tower Ride at glentress or Heartbreak Hill at Kirroughtree that puts me off :oops: Just knowing they're out there waiting to make me suffer makes me treasure my little 22 toothed friend.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    nickfrog wrote:
    nickfrog wrote:
    pHz wrote:
    2 is still 1 too many

Fair enough. Might not work in the Alps.
    The 11-36 10-speed cassette will make it more and more difficult to justify not giving it a go though. I have switched to 1x9 2 weeks ago as I could not be bothered waiting for the 10-speed and frankly, for the South Downs it's perfect, at least for me.
    Not having a front mech/shifter is a revelation. Everything becomes more instinctive and the ride flows incredibly well.

Doesn't really work for me in Sheffield either. The hills may not be as high... but they are bloody steep, and that is the reason.
  • nickfrog
    Fair enough SS, although 30x36 for instance gets you up some seriously steep hills while 30X11 is OK off road, albeit a bit spinny but then gravity's always there to help. What i am saying is that it's not the compromise it once was, again unless you do need road gearing.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Depends on the bike too, I run a 28/42 with an 11-36, I spend the vast majority of my time in the 42, just drop to the 28 when needed. Saying that I'm not too sure I'd fancy a single ring, may have to try it sometime.

That's on an XC race bike though, if it was a longer travel trail bike, I'd go for a smaller chainset. I've been using doubles for about 4 years now, originally with 44/32, then 42/30 then 40/28 (9 speed), now 42/28 (10 speed), I have to say going smaller has been an improvement each time!
  • nickfrog
    I run a 29t single ring !!! (see my sig). With 11-34. I need it though but as my fitness improves I'll be going up to 32t with a 11-36, hopefully soon.
  • njee20
    29/11 would do my head in riding to the trails! I worry with a single ring I'd either find myself right at the bottom of the block most of the time, or wouldn't have a low enough gear for when I'm plodding or for really steep climbs.
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    I'm using a 1x9 with a 34t upfront. Perfect for round here, and is fine commuting (ride home is a 2k ft rise). Last 2 miles is a slog uphill, but if anything it's made me fitter. I'd consider a double set up, but i think it'd make me a lazier rider. Plus i hate setting up the front mech!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    unixnerd wrote:
    Some of us still need a triple. You need a big ring for on road use and downhill, middle ring for tricky singletrack and the little ring for the biggest climbs (I climbed 1100 feet in about 1km yesterday).
    Holy jeebus, that's one third the height of Snowdon (above sea level, not from the start of the trails!) in 1KM? Where the hell was that?
    I hope you weren't relying on GPS for altitude info :lol:
  • nickfrog
    That's about 36% climb. Wow.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    its basically the mtb version of the roadies compact.

i use it on my TT bike but i do like having the option of a granny gear on my days out in the dirt, means i get a little bit of a break!

i have thought about changing to a compact but i am trying to find out if SRAM do an X-0 shifter to do just 2 rings? any ideas?
  • njee20
    Any shifter will work a double.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    kaiser83 wrote:
    i have thought about changing to a compact but i am trying to find out if SRAM do an X-0 shifter to do just 2 rings? any ideas?

Just set the limit screws so you can't reach the third ring 'click'
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    pHz wrote:
    2 is still 1 too many

this ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    unixnerd wrote:

I can't understand why so few folk don't feel the need for a 42/44 big ring. Maybe I'm missing something.......... Don't you just spin out on the fast bits?
    I run a 36t single ring, and i very rarely spin out.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I think the change to double rings corresponds with riders changing the trails they ride, with trail centres and riders focusing more on technical downhill riding, rather than sprinting down an open fire road.I just don't need the big ring anymore, and the extra clearance is really handy.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ^ this.

i changed to an slx double and bash about 2 weeks ago and it's awsome, i very rarely used the big ring, only on big downhills where i didn't want to come off and have a chainring stuck in my leg!! :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    just droped the big ring today after realizing that the last time i used it was on the road, about 6 months ago.

gonna see how it goes.
    I like bikes and stuff