Knee Problems

st55
st55 Posts: 9
Rather than pay a huge consultaion fee i thought id post here and see if any fellow cyclists could shed some advice on my problem. In around 4 weeks i shall be doing the London To Paris ride (350 miles), unfortunately i have picked up an injury on the way, after much research its pointing towards Iliotibial Band Syndrome. It looks like i may be off the bike for the next few weeks which will halt my training substantionally. I still want to do the ride and im happy to let my leg recover for as long as possible, my main worry is that if i rest and do the ride i will end up doing irreversable damage. Could anyone shed some advice on what the best soloution would be, i really want to do the ride but still want to ride my beloved Cervelo when i come back

Thanks for any help, you will be saving me loads

Comments

• Peppo
    Peppo Posts: 60
    ITB is easy to diagnose. The good thing is that eventually you ALWAYS beat it. The bad thing is that it may take long time (1 year or longer) and huge amount of patience and perseverance following physio advice.

I've had ITB right (6 months off) and left (4 years on-off).

These things work:

insole and/or wedge.
    stretching, especially ITB.
    strengthening, especially gluteus (see a physio!).
    massage, quadballer, this is really great, I still use it every day, best £35 ever spend. If on budget go for tennis ball.

Best of all: see a decent physio (I think they are all good) and discuss. Most likely he will prescribe exercise. You'll need immense patience and perseverance but you'll beat it.
    90 per cent is mental. The other half is physical.