Armstong's last TdeF - about time!

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited June 2010 in Pro race
http://road.cc/content/news/19366-lance ... e-his-last

What really was the point of him coming back at all? He shouldn't have rested on his laurels after the 7th if you ask me ...

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    http://road.cc/content/news/19366-lance-armstrong-says-years-tour-de-france-will-be-his-last

What really was the point of him coming back at all? He shouldn't have rested on his laurels after the 7th if you ask me ...

Suppose someone told you to forget about racing bicycles, you're to old, you've won enough already, give someone else a chance, get out of the way old man. BUT you really like racing AND you still have the ability to win. Would you quit simply because a few people THINK you should? Who are they to tell YOU what you can and can't do?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Hi Dennis

Can you tell me when Lance last won a bike race?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    He made himself a fresh target. Novitsky is no doubt lining up his ducks as we speak, so LA will regret the return I think
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I wonder if Landis would have come forward if Armstrong was retired. It's still possible that the federal investigation would be on, after all regardless of whether Armstrong races or not, Landis is skint and got the shaft from a lot of people.

Armstrong originally said his comeback was linked to cancer awareness but I've not seen much on this, arguably time spent off the bike could have raised the profile of his business and charity more than a season or two of racing.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    Hi Dennis

You miss my point completely. A person can race or work at a job for as long as someone is willing to hire them. This includes you, me, and everyone else. What's so hard to understand about that?? If LA likes racing who's to say he can't?? YOU?
    How about this? I'm really tired of seeing you stuff on this forum. I want you to quit.
    So, now that someone has told you this, you will never be heard from again? Right??
    Right??? C'mon, people are allowed to do, pretty much, what they want to do in this life.
    You have a problem with LA? Well, learn to deal with it, because you'll be hearing his name and seeing his picture for some time to come. Sorry 'bout your luck. :roll: :roll:

p.s. After all that I'm sort of on your side in that I am getting tired of seeing his picture everywhere, but that can't last forever, can it?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

You only get one shot at life, if he's enjoying racing why shouldn't he carry on until he needs a zimmer to get to his bike? :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited June 2010
    Kléber wrote:
    I wonder if Landis would have come forward if Armstrong was retired. It's still possible that the federal investigation would be on, after all regardless of whether Armstrong races or not, Landis is skint and got the shaft from a lot of people.

Armstrong originally said his comeback was linked to cancer awareness but I've not seen much on this, arguably time spent off the bike could have raised the profile of his business and charity more than a season or two of racing.

Eh? Your kidding. He has done plenty since his comeback raising awareness on cancer.

Simple Google search will show you this.

Crazy post really as his coming out of retirement has had millions of words written and spoken in the media about it. Far more than if he hadn't.

3rd last year was no mean feat at all. I think he'll surprise in this coming Le Tour with improving his performance.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited June 2010
    IMO, his comeback was due to his inability to cope with retirement. To see his name gradually fading from the headlines was too difficult to swallow. The competitive hunger constantly gnawing away in the background.
    So, instead of family or politics, sun bathing and a cold one, (or several) he made the choice to return.
    My guess is, he now sorely regrets this decision, but he's stuck in the saddle, until the end of July, unless he suffers a face saving "injury" from a fall etc.
    Hence, the latest announcement.

If however, by some miracle, this investigation disappears OP style, be prepared for a third coming.................
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Crazy post really as his coming out of retirement has had millions of words written and spoken in the media about it. Far more than if he hadn't.
    I think we might have to disagree but for me a lot of the coverage has been about him and his team, plus the scandals. It's not so much been about public policy or cancer awareness.

In retirement he was still a big name and could have done more media work without the need to live the itinerant life of a pro, complete with all the training. But maybe we just read different news sources :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    unixnerd wrote:

You only get one shot at life, if he's enjoying racing why shouldn't he carry on until he needs a zimmer to get to his bike? :-)

Have you read the unbearable lightness of being by any chance?
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:

shame he promoted charity/himself on the bike so much recently based on the shaky foundations all top riders in his era stand on, otherwise seeing an ageing champion fight one last battle would be good. I'll still enjoy the tdf battle, but its a little sour too for some-even me. I was and am a big Ullrich fan regardless of the high morals of some
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    The man isn't one...He's a GOD !!!
  • dennisn
    IMO, his comeback was due to his inability to cope with retirement. To see his name gradually fading from the headlines was too difficult to swallow. The competitive hunger constantly gnawing away in the background.

At my age I've known more than a few people who have retired only to find out they
    weren't "ready for it", for lack of a better term. I have a triathlete friend who's coming up
    on 70 years old, yet still hammers away at it on pretty much a daily basis and is planning on doing the Hawaii Ironman this year. So someone being 38 and still wanting to have a go at things doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm 61 and sort of still want another go at the Bike Tour of Colorado, even though I know it's a punishing, brutal, exercise in climbing that I keep swearing I DON'T want to go through again. Go figure.
    Who knows what LA's reasons are for this comeback. He's got the racing bug? He wants to stay in the limelight?? Both? Neither?? In any case he's got to know that for either to happen he's got to work at it instead of sitting around home sucking down Lone Star Beer.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    http://road.cc/content/news/19366-lance-armstrong-says-years-tour-de-france-will-be-his-last

Why don't you turn it on it's head?

Last year the guy was 37, came back after 3 years and came 3rd.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Could his last race in the pro ranks be the TOB this year?
  • I'm going to regret this but........Dennis, we DO know why he came back as he told the world why he was coming back when he came back. He held press conferences in the expectation that the worlds media would report his words to their audiences. So we definitely DO know and this can be reported factually as being the case.

Google this Dennis: lance armstrong comeback press conference
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Why did he have to have a reason to come back from retirement?

Basically, he wanted to and he could, so he did.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    dennisn wrote:

At my age I've known more than a few people who have retired only to find out they
    weren't "ready for it", for lack of a better term. I have a triathlete friend who's coming up
    on 70 years old, yet still hammers away at it on pretty much a daily basis and is planning on doing the Hawaii Ironman this year. So someone being 38 and still wanting to have a go at things doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm 61 and sort of still want another go at the Bike Tour of Colorado, even though I know it's a punishing, brutal, exercise in climbing that I keep swearing I DON'T want to go through again. Go figure.
    Who knows what LA's reasons are for this comeback. He's got the racing bug? He wants to stay in the limelight?? Both? Neither?? In any case he's got to know that for either to happen he's got to work at it instead of sitting around home sucking down Lone Star Beer.

Sports history is littered with Pros that go stir crazy when they retire and realise the world no longer revolves around them. I think Dennis can help me here but did John Elway go very mental upon retiring. I know what the "I Ihate LA brigade" will say to this but it is a worry in any sport's ranks when a pro comes back and nearly or does win. It has made boxing a laughing stock.

The funniest thing was the people who mistook LA's tweet yesterday to say that this was the last Tour ever!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    One of the youngest triathlon champs.
    One of the youngest World Road Race Champs.
    7 times, yes, SEVEN Times Tour de France winner.

Was given the "Last Rites" due to his well documented illness.
    Fathered numerous kids, with one testicle !!!
    Founder of a huge cancer awareness/fund raising charity.

( Hang on..does he wear his underpanys outside of his trousers? NO?
    Well he bloody well should...)

Let's see, any OTHER World Class sports people - never mind cyclists - got a CV like that?

No, Zip, Zilch, Nada, Zero, Nuffin even close to it.
  • dennisn
    I'm going to regret this but........Dennis, we DO know why he came back as he told the world why he was coming back when he came back. He held press conferences in the expectation that the worlds media would report his words to their audiences. So we definitely DO know and this can be reported factually as being the case.

Google this Dennis: lance armstrong comeback press conference

...but, but, but, but I thought everything he has ever said is a lie. Or so it seems to have been reported as such on this forum.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    To be honest I'm not a follower of celeb press conferences and the like. Way to scripted for my tastes. I do find it weird that the media will report that someone is going to have a press conference "tomorrow" in which this someone will announce that he is making a comeback or whatever. I've always wondered why anyone would then tune in the next day to watch something that they already knew. But I digress.
  • RichN95 - He told us precisely why he was coming back; it is a matter of fact and the reasons did not include those you just gave for him. It isn't hard to find a written record of what he said. You can speculate all you like but you don't need to as he told everyone already.
  • dave_1
    edited June 2010
    just read Pruedhome's comments, defo think margins will be small given we are near identical, am sure Pruedhomme will have surveillance on teams..officially tagged people who roam off control time at hotels, given the brand that is threatened, hence guiding target tests. Does anyone know the rules on who can roll in a d visit at random evening/nightimes as well as how far away riders are allowed from their hotels and the race start and finish?

e.g. zabel cycling seen cycling off in the dark night at a hotel early TDF stage circa 2001-04 spoted by cyc weekly journos
  • Dennis, what are you talking about? Are you holding me to your perception of what the overall forum opinion is on the veracity of Armstrong's statements? And stop waffling and google that search term. Then you can find out from the horse's mouth why he made a comeback.
  • Dave, have you a link - sounds interesting? Thanks.
  • dave_1
    Dave, have you a link - sounds interesting? Thanks.

www.cyclingnews.com
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    RichN95 - He told us precisely why he was coming back; it is a matter of fact and the reasons did not include those you just gave for him. It isn't hard to find a written record of what he said. You can speculate all you like but you don't need to as he told everyone already.

I know what he said. But that's not my point. There are are lot of people on here and elsewhere who seem to want to analyise his motivations to forensic level, then look at his stated reasons and whether he has lived up to them, as though his utterences were some sort of political manifesto, and then condemn him for failing to meet his promises.

My point is - who cares why he came back. He came back because he wanted to. And that's that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ProBiker
    ProBiker Posts: 74
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 - He told us precisely why he was coming back; it is a matter of fact and the reasons did not include those you just gave for him. It isn't hard to find a written record of what he said. You can speculate all you like but you don't need to as he told everyone already.

I know what he said. But that's not my point. There are are lot of people on here and elsewhere who seem to want to analyise his motivations to forensic level, then look at his stated reasons and whether he has lived up to them, as though his utterences were some sort of political manifesto, and then condemn him for failing to meet his promises.

My point is - who cares why he came back. He came back because he wanted to. And that's that.

+1 Well said
  • dennisn
    Dennis, what are you talking about? Are you holding me to your perception of what the overall forum opinion is on the veracity of Armstrong's statements? And stop waffling and google that search term. Then you can find out from the horse's mouth why he made a comeback.

To be honest I don't care why he "came back". I'm going to side with "RichN95"'s
    post above. "He wanted to and he could, so he did." Sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. It's all that I need to know. :wink:
    Although I remember going to a Rolling Stones concert back in 74 or 75 and it was billed
    as their LAST TOUR. Glad I caught them before they disbanded. In any case maybe this LA thing is going to turn into another LAST TOUR.

Until the next one.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

I like to try to understand peoples motivation. I'd say it was all about thinking he could still rinse everyone and wanting some extra cash. It was the way he went from "not engaged" with cycling to training for a comeback in about 4 months.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I like to try to understand peoples motivation. I'd say it was all about thinking he could still rinse everyone and wanting some extra cash. It was the way he went from "not engaged" with cycling to training for a comeback in about 4 months.

Little extra cash, fame and fortune, maybe even whipping up on the "younger generation".
    Sounds good to me.