Tomorrow's Wall Street Journal

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
edited July 2010 in Pro race
I love rumour and unfounded speculation!
dimspace wrote:
wall street journal on tuesday apparently.. nicely timed two days before the team presentations.. gives lance two days to 'retire'
(http://twitter.com/dimspace/status/17189846788)

Any thoughts what might be said?

Comments

• micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Corroboration of Landis' story by several other riders plus riders not named but linked directly to Armstrong/Bruyneel
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    There are a lot of rumours but it sounds like there are multiple pieces to come and they're all quite hardcore.

If it lives up to 50% of what I've read it'll be fairly jaw dropping stuff.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What can be said that hasn't been said before?

Surely if they could "convict" with the "stuff", it wouldn't be in the paper tomorrow but being used in some sort of action?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainf72

Surely if they could "convict" with the "stuff", it wouldn't be in the paper tomorrow but being used in some sort of action?

I believe this is happening too. It sounds like a lot of it might be about what the USADA have so far with interviews with some involved.

Also might be some stuff that Tiger Woods-esqe.

Still, could all be nonsense, but enough serious people have said there is a s*it storm on it's way. And I'm not talking about the England football team arriving in the UK tomorrow.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    more of a sh*t drizzle, the England squad's return.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    According to my source at the WSJ:

"How am I supposed to know, I write about the Chinese economy. Who's Floyd Landis anyway?"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    The problem with the WSJ is that you only seem to get given it on aeroplanes. Anyone flying anywhere tomorrow? BB?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • iainf72
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    The problem with the WSJ is that you only seem to get given it on aeroplanes. Anyone flying anywhere tomorrow? BB?

Don't worry. There's this new thing called the "internet" - Even though Murdoch owns the WSJ he hasnt' pay-walled it yet.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    oooh - Cant wait..
    cartoon.jpg
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    iainf72 wrote:
    Don't worry. There's this new thing called the "internet" - Even though Murdoch owns the WSJ he hasnt' pay-walled it yet.

The internet? :shock: Wasn't that like the CB radio of the '90's?... No-one reads the internet anymore.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Agreed - it's a flash-in-the-pan.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    My money is on Friday, unless the WSJ have got wind of a L'Equipe OCLAESP "leak". :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    Armstrong can't be that concerned:

Latest tweet: "And yes, this will be final Tour de France. It's been a great ride. Looking forward to 3 great weeks."

Clearly thinks he is riding this years tour..
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Stuff the WSJ, I want to know where iain is reading this :lol:
  • seemunkee
    seemunkee Posts: 206
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    There are three copies sitting at our office door each morning. some VP isn't getting his tomorrow.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Maybe not the WSJ but the New York Times has a piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sport ... ycling.htm

"At least two of the people Landis implicated said they had met with investigators to tell of their past involvement with doping. They did not provide details of those meetings, but both said they were honest in responding to the investigators’ questions. Those men, long followers of cycling’s code of silence that kept doping a secret, did not want their names published for fear of retribution during racing at the Tour. "
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    samiam wrote:
    Armstrong can't be that concerned:

Latest tweet: "And yes, this will be final Tour de France. It's been a great ride. Looking forward to 3 great weeks."

Clearly thinks he is riding this years tour..

I am sure he will be after all this is as fast a moving story as the Astana medical waste one from last year.............how did that one go anyway ? seem to recall that had a few foaming at the mounth in here .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    From today's WSJ:-

Lance Armstrong has posted on his Twitter page this year's Tour de France will be his last.

"It's been a great ride. Looking forward to 3 great weeks," Mr. Armstrong tweeted Monday.

A seven-time winner of cycling's most prestigious race, the 38-year-old Armstrong returned to the Tour last year after a three-year absence and finished third behind Astana teammate Alberto Contador of Spain.

Mr. Armstrong started a new team for this year's race. He won the race seven straight times from 1999-2005 before retiring.

The Tour de France starts Saturday in Belgium.

So, they get news stories from Twitter and don't know where Rotterdam is. To think that some people are suggesting that the quality of journalism is declining.
  • iainf72
    "At least two of the people Landis implicated said they had met with investigators to tell of their past involvement with doping. They did not provide details of those meetings, but both said they were honest in responding to the investigators’ questions. Those men, long followers of cycling’s code of silence that kept doping a secret, did not want their names published for fear of retribution during racing at the Tour. "

So, DZ and .... Hincapie?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hmm, two blokes co-operating with the investigation is important but it's not a big deal. We'll see if there's more news tomorrow. I suspect the formal and deliberate nature of the investigation means less leaks... but more jail time.
  • iainf72
    I thought the piece about BALCO was significant. If you played nice with big bald Jeff, you didn't do jail time. If you lied to him, you had "fresh meat" chanted at you. And I'd think a lot of the people involved in BALCO had more money than many of the players in Landis-gate
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:

So, DZ and .... Hincapie?

DZ definitely, the other is more likely to be VdV or Barry.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Wait a minute, it can't be DZ as he re-tweeted a tweet supporting Livestrong, didn't he?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Maybe that was a red herring to throw people off the scent?

It worked for you. :wink:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    edited June 2010
    Well who was on the mystery bus with the group top up? Can't remember if Landis said it was 2003 or 2004.

1 Lance Armstrong (USA)
    2 Roberto Heras (Spa)
    3 Manuel Beltran (Spa)
    4 Vjatceslav Ekimov (Rus)
    5 George Hincapie (USA)
    6 Floyd Landis (USA)
    7 Pavel Padrnos (Cze)
    8 Victor Hugo Peña (Col)
    9 José Luis Rubiera (Spa)

1 Lance Armstrong (USA)
    2 Jose Azevedo (Por)
    3 Manuel Beltran (Spa)
    4 Viatcheslav Ekimov (Rus)
    5 George Hincapie (USA)
    6 Floyd Landis (USA)
    7 Benjamin Noval (Spa)
    8 Pavel Padrnos (Cze)
    9 Jose Luis Rubiera (Spa)

Who'd be likely candidates for an interview from that lot?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    RichN95 wrote:
    According to my source at the WSJ:

"How am I supposed to know, I write about the Chinese economy. Who's Floyd Landis anyway?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Maybe not the WSJ but the New York Times has a piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sport ... ycling.htm
    The Garmin-Transitions team manager Jonathan Vaughters said he thought the investigation was healthy for cycling because it kept a spotlight on the effort to clean up the sport.

“Quite frankly, I think the most doping in the sport happened during one of the years where there were no scandals and everybody thought everything was hunky-dory,” Vaughters said by telephone from Spain last week. “When there’s a scandal, that’s actually when things are being solved.”

2009?

In what other years have there been absolutely no doping scandals at the Tour?
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    Wait a minute, it can't be DZ as he re-tweeted a tweet supporting Livestrong, didn't he?
    Hincape tweeted this 17 hours ago...

Just finished interview with NY Times. Everyone is getting excited about the TDF!!
    about 17 hours ago via web
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

In what other years have there been absolutely no doping scandals at the Tour?

1911?
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    Perhaps he was just trying to join Armstrong behind his 'patron saint of cancer' shield of invincibility. :wink: