Faster = Safer?

2»

Comments

• wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    AndyManc wrote:
    wyadvd wrote:

I do at least 20 and my ars* sits right where the right hand wheel of a car would be on a roundabout. then you get seen. hug the perimiter and you are road kill barbeque.

The fact is the majority of 'commuters' are not speed freaks, most will cycle between 8-12mph, at that speed you can't expect them to take primary.

Highway code recognises roundabouts are an issue ,which raises the question why don't they do something about it.

what the highway code can do about it is to put some of JohnFranklin's advice on roundabouts into the highway code. ie take the appropriate lane and avoid the blind area on the perimmeter of the roundabout. use a sprint speed . not actively advising cyclists to use the perimeter to turn right, or cross using 'facilities'? Which is lethal need
  • wyadvd
    indeed i meant
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    wyadvd wrote:
    use a sprint speed .

I've mentioned this before, on this forum many believe everyone is dressed in lycra, is aged 20-35 and can 'use a sprint speed' at will.

They can't, the general commuter cyclist is aged 10-90 who don't posses a 'sprint speed' .

If the highway code (and the DoT) recognises there are issues they should address the problem instead of telling cyclists to get off and walk.

Cyclists should be given priority in law and every design trick used to remove the danger to cyclists on roundabouts.

I don't think it's acceptable for a government agency to acknowledge a danger in our transport infrastructure and stand back and do nothing about it especially when cycling is (on paper) being promoted in most countries.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • wyadvd
    i accept what you are saying, but the ability to put on a 1 minute burst of speed is a skill that can be learnt. more cyclists should aquire it. Believe me, Lycra doesnt help. And Ive seen plenty of competant 65 yr old cyclists using a decent turn of speed through a roundabout. Training? Bikability?
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    wyadvd wrote:
    i accept what you are saying, but the ability to put on a 1 minute burst of speed is a skill that can be learnt. more cyclists should aquire it. Believe me, Lycra doesnt help. And Ive seen plenty of competant 65 yr old cyclists using a decent turn of speed through a roundabout. Training? Bikability?

To be honest apart from the really big roundabouts around dual carriageway roads its not even about speed its about confidence. I regularly see a very slow older woman cycle around a busy laned & light controlled roundabout outside my office. She doesn't use speed but just takes the lane she needs and cars give her the space to go where she want without hassle.

Mike
  • wyadvd
    mudcovered wrote:
    wyadvd wrote:

To be honest apart from the really big roundabouts around dual carriageway roads its not even about speed its about confidence. I regularly see a very slow older woman cycle around a busy laned & light controlled roundabout outside my office. She doesn't use speed but just takes the lane she needs and cars give her the space to go where she want without hassle.

Mike

Cool
  • wyadvd
    mudcovered wrote:
    wyadvd wrote:

Mike

Actually that made me think that being lycra clad can count against you. A wobbly lady with a basket on the front will command more room on a roundabout that a fast competant looking lycra clad guy?
    Also It shows that having the oppurtunity to stand back and observe how a junction operates makes you a better cyclist through that junction?
  • wyadvd
    ok the thread is nearly dead!

but here is a vid of part of my commute. 3 or 4 miles of dual carriageway, three roundabouts and an average speed of 22mph over the stretch.

hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuPRqHB_WIA

the time stamp is not correct btw
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Gaz may have cadence, speed, heart rate and altitude on his vids, but I can work out your rate of resperation on yours!

Good vid.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!