2010 National Championships Thread - contains spoilers

2»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    aarw wrote:
    Matt Bremmeier wins Irish national champs from Nicholas Roche and Dan Martin.

So two Englishmen and a Frenchman on the podium. Is Jack Charlton running Irish cycling these days?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    And Britain's great white hope is a Belgian born son of an Aussie.

I think being the son or nephew of Stephen Roche makes you just a bit Irish.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    and Maria Martin would probably kick the cr*p out of anyone suggesting she isn't Irish!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Timoid. wrote:
    And Britain's great white hope is a Belgian born son of an Aussie.

I think being the son or nephew of Stephen Roche makes you just a bit Irish.

Ah, but Wiggins never entertained thoughts of being Belgian or Australian, while Brammeier and Martin are ex British junior champions and Roche originally declared himself for France.

But really, I was just being mischevious. I'm all for repatriation, it's doing wonders for the England cricket team. The football team should try it too, starting with Mikel Arteta.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The race had been shortened to just 48km after a serious crash in the first lap caused a delay of over an hour as ambulances took some of the injured riders to hospital. The incident happened on a descent as riders were doing speeds of up to 80kph, many of the riders who had been dropped on the climb crashed into stationary race vehicles as they were trying to regain the peloton.

From the female UK Nationals.

Pooley had two Cervelo teamates in a break of four with the other rider making up the four being Cooke. Unsurprisingly, Cooke was cooked covering the attacks from teamates.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • beaten to it (missed that post sorry)
    to cover my embarrassment heres a picture of the finish
    4749011944_bf017206fd.jpg
    roche done in the last corner !
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    aarw wrote:
    Matt Bremmeier wins Irish national champs from Nicholas Roche and Dan Martin.

Really pleased for Matt, rode with him a little bit about 10 years ago now when he was Schoolboy national road and TT champion, was a nice lad (nicer than some of they madmen in Century's junior section at the time). To come back from the acciden the had to that sort of level is a massive acheivement.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Wiggins and Pooley retain their TT titles.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5548/ ... ships.aspx
    Contador is the Greatest