How important are 'Rest days'?

anto164
anto164 Posts: 3,500
I'm now commuting to work every day now (32 Mi per day, 160 miles a week, reasonably flat, but with some long but shallow climbs on the way back with an average speed of 18.4mph, with my final 2 miles on the way home a sprint @ about 24-28mph) plus doing a 50 mile ride on sundays (When i can).

Just wondering how it's best to factor in these rest days, as i noticed last week that i had 3 days off (Due to silly doctors appointments) from cycling to work, and i felt soooo fresh on the bike.

Just wondering what people do in regards to these rest days? Also, i only starting commuting to work by bike a month ago.

Ta :twisted:

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well for starters if you don't have any rest days you'll end up over training.

Rest days either take it totally off the bike or do a steady ride, short and steady.

I usually have about 2-3 rest days a week. SAT/SUN/TUE/THUR on the bike, and MON/WED/FRI off the bike, but today I has TUE racing, WED turbo and tomoz 60 odd miles with 10 mile TT in-between.

As long as you feel good you'll be ok, but if you are doing too much you'll find you won't be improving and feeling worse as you're not giving yourself time to recover.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I'm enjoying a rest day right now. MUCH needed. One day a week is usually all I need - but not every other day is full-on training or racing. Today was a 100% off the bike rest day.
  • El Imbatido
    El Imbatido Posts: 144
    Ask Bhima :lol: I think there is a thread around that says something like he rode his bike everyday for 50 days (?) or some crazy number like that.

In all seriousness though, i try to make sure i atleast have two days rest a week usually when it suits me and not in a preplanned sort if way.
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

Nothing wrong with riding your bike every day - you can just take it easy on your rest days and switch off the speedometer.

Your body adapts to training stimuli, and needs rest (or active rest) days to repair itself. Lots of sleep is a good thing too.

Cheers, Andy
  • Ask Bhima :lol: I think there is a thread around that says something like he rode his bike everyday for 50 days (?) or some crazy number like that.

he got to 99 in the end. a couple of weeks ago. his explination was gold:

"didnt want to do 100. that would be showing off"

anyway following on from bhimas experience I tried it and got to 25 days before giving up. I wasnt eating enough though. :(
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Wasn't he averaging 6.69w/kg as well?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I've heard of some people using a HRM on their rest day for the commute to work and using it to check their HR is really down
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    phil s wrote:
    Wasn't he averaging 6.69w/kg as well?

Well Bhima might be coming out with the Manchester Wheelers to pendle on Sunday, so we'll see if he's averaging that up the hills :lol: