I can't believe how much I'm eating!

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
Since Sunday's ride to Brighton and back (without resorting to the train at any point), I've been eating waaaaaay more than usual. I've always eaten more than people think a skinny bloke like me could, but I've surpassed myself so far this week.

I ate well (stuffed my face, really) on Saturday and had lots to eat during the ride, but now I just can't stop.

I'm not worried about my weight as I'm eating good grub (not burgers/kebabs) and riding everyday so its all good. Its just amazing me.

Anyone else blessed with this issue?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yes. Embrace it. Eating with a certain amount of impunity in front of your work colleagues rocks. :mrgreen:

I tend to eat more and ride less on the weekend.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep - I get home from work and spend most of the evening eating or wanting to eat! Not worried about putting on wait though; ye kanna change the laws of physics (which say my weight never reaches 10 stone :lol: )

Slightly annoying as it is a) expensive and b) means I have to buy more food which in turn means I have to cycle home with more weight on my back which in turn contributes to me feeling hungrier........

Still, on target for 4000 miles by end of June so obviously all worth it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    No matter what I do, I'm always 12 and a half stone and generally called skinny.
    The chef at work said it was his ambition to make me fat. He did his best (his grub was lovely) and I would eat loads of it but my weight stayed exactly the same. My colleagues couldn't believe that I could eat two breakfasts, biscuits with my elevenses tea, lunch, snack before I left for home, dinner at home and something before I went to bed.

Yes, it does get expensive.

• cjcp
    You're under 30, aren't you? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Damn you!! I have to be really careful about what i eat... even with 20miles a day and 3 gym sessions a week :(
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    cjcp wrote:
    When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like and still climb into your 26 inch waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age -- 24, 25 -- your muscles give up they wave a little white flag and then without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    Nah mate, 34, 35 in a couple of months.

Did my boyish good looks fool you?

• rolf_f
    cjcp wrote:
    When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like and still climb into your 26 inch waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age -- 24, 25 -- your muscles give up they wave a little white flag and then without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard

Nope - 42 here and still able to eat and drink anything and anymuch. I think there maybe a black hole in my stomach......
  • cjcp
    Rolf F wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Nope - 42 here and still able to eat and drink anything and anymuch. I think there maybe a black hole in my stomach......

Or a tapeworm!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Since Sunday's ride to Brighton and back (without resorting to the train at any point), I've been eating waaaaaay more than usual. I've always eaten more than people think a skinny bloke like me could, but I've surpassed myself so far this week.

I ate well (stuffed my face, really) on Saturday and had lots to eat during the ride, but now I just can't stop.

I'm not worried about my weight as I'm eating good grub (not burgers/kebabs) and riding everyday so its all good. Its just amazing me.

Anyone else blessed with this issue?

Same here, and the was with even taking the train home :P

As it was my longest ride by 50 miles and nearly 9 hours riding I think the body is saying I am going to do that to it again, it is going to make sure it has spare reserves of energy ready.

I'm am hungry now and have already eaten more for tea than I would normally :roll:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Getting peckish again...

Yoghurt, flapjack or both?

• cjcp
    Just had salmon and salad. It helps to pack out the salad with avocado, artichokes, olives and sun dried tomatoes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Same here. 37 this year, still a thin bastard. Some compensation for everything else.......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I've been eating like a horse since I started cycling (last September), weighed myself on Monday for the first time in ages and found out I'd lost 3/4 a stone! A few people had mentioned that I seemed to have lost weight but I didn't think anything of it.

I love food, isn't it great that something else I love evens things out?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    People always said to me, when you hit 25 you will balloon, then 30, then 35, well I am 35 and I am still able to eat what I like and stay svelte :-)
  • 55, 6ft+, under 12 stone, eat large meals,

But only when hungry. It works for me. If you need to eat, eat.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I hate you all :P
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I can pretty much eat what I want, whenever I want.

Cycling or not cycling, it doesn't seem to affect much.
  • rolf_f
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I hate you all :P

Now now Wanda. You are as slim as the rest of us - just in the vertical plane :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Especially you! :wink:
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Been there , eaten that :?

I'm not as bad as I used to be, when I got home from my late shift I used to stand in front of the fridge for 20minutes eating everything that didn't need cooking :roll:

I now find that if I have a big meal at work then I manage to leave a few things in the fridge once I arrive home.

This time of year you can eat as much fresh fruit as you want to keep topped up, the problem is during winter, when I tend to keep topped up on pie and chips and the usual winter comfort foods.

Try drinking plenty of fluids, especially milk, that should help fill you up.

Right , I'm off to have my 3 jam butties, pint of milk and a packet of fig roll biscuits :)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • EKE_38BPM
    I always drink loads. There is usually a water bottle within arms reach that I keep sipping from. A good habit I got into at work many years ago.

My diet does change during the seasons. I eat more fruit in summer and more stodge in winter. Had a lovely fruit salad today, Loads of melon and strawberrys etc

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    My boss used to keep saying something along the lines of 'You can only eat like that 'cause you're young. You wait till you reach your 40s, It'll all start spreading out then'. Well, I'm probably leaner now (33) than I was when he said it. Interestingly, he has recently upgraded his bike, and bought some lycra. Knew he'd see sense eventually.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    This thread is making me hungry despite the 2 lunches I had today, maybe a whole Soreen cake before bed ...
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm 42 and 10.5 stone, 5'6". My mother has always been amazed by my appetite and my wife can barely keep up with it ;-)

Never stand between a cyclist and food, it's dangerous.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My wife did Weightwatchers recently (she was already in the "healthy" weight range but holiday bikini vanity meant she wanted to lose half a stone) - it told her that she needed to eat 16 "points" a day. I got her to check the EXTRA points I'd need for my daily commute: 19 points! So basically I could eat more extra due to my riding than she could eat all day.

The bit I find hardest is getting out of the habit of eating when I can't cycle but I'm tired. I don't have the problem of not eating on my regular days off but, take this weekend coming: I'm heading to Knockhill to go motor racing - it's a busy time (long drive down, lots of setting up, testing, racing, packing up, driving back etc) and I burn loads of adrenalin (my average HR during a race is 160bpm - peaking at nearly my max of 183 in a really good on-track battle) and it's pretty strenuous for that short period (I'm soaked with sweat by the end of it) but I don't use too many calories. But I do tend to eat because I'm feeling tired - and, frankly, the quality of food at a race circuit isn't exactly great or healthy.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Especially you! :wink:

Noooooooooooooooo!! :cry:

Anyway, what's wrong with being vertically slim? I'm vertically fat :lol:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    My brother is going through the mid-twenties spread right now. It's funny actually, bless him, he's always been a big bloke, but is nearly 26, and suddenly can't eat 4 mars bars a day without putting on weight.

He doesn't really care for exercise, but has a relatively physical job, and finally I can eat what I like more than he can! Hurrah! :D

I should add, though, I still do have to be pretty careful if I want to lose weight rather than just maintain it. :cry:
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    cycling the ultimate diet. lucky us, nice to hear there are some others out there who can burn the fuel, always very confused by all articles on how to keep weight down, cant get the fuel in quick enough. Eat more, ride more
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep. I'm 37, 6 ft 3 and about 12.5 stone and it barely ever changes. I eat 'n' eat 'n' eat mostly without thinking. I'm known by everyone at work, family and friends for my voracious appetite. If it's edible and left around too long, I eat it. The other day I was totting up what I'd had, I'd eaten 8 slices of toast, a melon, a grapefruit and a bunch of other fruit, a large main meal of pasta and sauce and a large evening meal with rice n stuff I think and snacks of cereal and youghurt and other things through the day. Admittedly most of what I eat is very healthy stuff - I hardly ever eat crisps, cake, takw aways etc etc but I eat late in the evening sometimes. The other evening I chowed down half a Green and Blacks 85% plain choc bar at about 11pm but my weight never shifts.

It's definitely down to cycling, running and the gym though. When I was in my teens and early 20s I didn't do much exercise, smoked and drank plenty of beer, then by about 25 I realised I was getting fatter and fatter and that my clothes didn't fit and I was buying larger and larger sizes but as soon as I joined the gym, started cycling etc it just dropped off and I've never looked back. I defintely feel and look fitter than I have ever done in my life.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.