RPCC - Capital-Coast-Capital ride - 14 August

thebongolian
thebongolian Posts: 333
RPCC has a tradition of rides from Richmond Park down to the south coast (usally Worthing for excellent cakes) and back in one day. A few of you have mentioned an interest in doing one this year but given it requires a whole day thought we need find a date for it a little in advance.

The poll suggests some dates so please vote for what works best for you. If you can make multiple dates post below as I think you can only vote once.

As always anyone is welcome to attend the ride but please bear in mind this is a full day's ride of 110 miles or so over rolling terrain (2000m+ climbing) so don't take it lightly. Of course if you aren't up for the full thing there's always the option of taking the "train of shame" from the south coast or somewhere on the way back.

Comments

• thebongolian
    Obviously all the dates work for me as I only put in ones I can make... but 14/15 August looks the best for me.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    I will not cast a vote given that I often seem to have unknown commitments - unknown to me that is but perfectly well known to SWMBO, but AFAIK all those dates are open.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    Will definitely be up for it but will have to wait until I get back to select a date.

Great cycling in the Dordogne this week. Very lumpy with excellent descents and lovely bastide (walled) towns to have a cake stop in. 1664 'Gold' has become my recovery drink of choice.
  • J09
    J09 Posts: 122
    I would definetively like to do that. It would be my first.

On the 2 first dates it is impossible for me, so August is the only left...
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Been meaning to join Bikeradar for ages now having followed RPCC threads as a lurker for some time...the C2C seemed like a good excuse to commit 10 seconds of my valuable time to register!

One of these days, when my youngest deigns to sleep for a full night, I'll make it out on one of the regular rides too.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    14 is best for me...although so close to the TDC I may bail out at the coast and catch the train of shame home.

Anyway who is out for a rumble this weekend? I got on my bike for the first time this morning since the Quebranthuesos on Saturday and boy were some muscles tight...so not a uber fast ride this weekend
  • thebongolian
    Bern - post already up for this weekend but has slipped to page 2: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12709353
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    14th August for me too. Would be nice to get out with you guys again, havent been out on a long one since flatout in the fens :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • RaGzMaN
    RaGzMaN Posts: 32
    Sounds interesting, does anyone have any garmin connect data? What kind of averages are you guys doing on this ride?

Im provisionally up for this work permitting.
  • gbs
    Are we now firm on the 14th August? I am fighting off SWMBO so early info would help. Alternativelyl I could gracefully concede if another date is confirmed!
  • 14th looks to be the most popular so we are going for that

RaGzMaN route will be pretty similar to this:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=44253

Guess we'll average about 16 mph with a prolonged stop at Worthing and one at Box Hill on the way back. Otherwise we'll be pretty much keep rolling other than to regroup at the top hills and maybe scoff an energy bar
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Think I've negotiated a pass for the 14th - looking forward to it!!
  • RaGzMaN
    Breaking news......I have a pass so count me in :-)
  • bondurant
    I'm still in. Though hopefully you don't mind if I meet you just outside Esher to save me cycling to Richmond just to turn round and come straight back again...
  • RaGzMaN
    Are there any start times set for this yet?
    What time would be an eta to get back to Richmond Park at the end of the ride?
  • tyskie
    8am from just inside Richmond Gate I assume.
    Last year we were back about 5. That included about an hour in Worthing and a couple of other brief stops.
  • Yeah, 8 am at Richmond Gate sounds good.

I have the following down as definites:
      Me tyskie London-Rad RaGzMaN Bondurant
    gbs, berns, jrduquemin, j09 - are you in?

Bondurant, normally takes us just over half an hour to get to Esher so if you could aim to be there at 8:30 that'd be great. We'll probably be a bit later than that once we've gathered people but it'll make sure you don't miss us. Good place to meet would be the little road that cuts the corner off at the end of Esher Green (before we turn right at the traffic lights onto the High Street / A307).

Finally I'll put a route later in the week so everyone with Garmin's is using the same course
  • bondurant
    No problem at all, I'll be there in good time. Looking forward to it.
  • london-red
    I'm looking a little less certain for this Saturday following overstretching a groin muscle playing football. I then completely did myself in farting around on a kiddie's trampoline... (the inignity...)

I'm still commuting, and i's got to be said that cycling's more comfortable than walking, or even sitting or standing, but I'm not sure about 125 miles... Will keep you updated.

Oh, and I think Berns and James were up for it too.
  • gbs
    Yeah, 8 am at Richmond Gate sounds good.
    Finally I'll put a route later in the week so everyone with Garmin's is using the same course

I will be there - with my maps and senior railcard so as you young studs disappear coastwards I will have options.

F'cast is for some sun and AM wind N'ly, veering W'ly later - fingers crossed.
  • RaGzMaN
    Ive got another rider coming with also.
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Wish I could join you. Should be a good ride. Enjoy. 8)
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • gbs
    Mixed emotions; dear wife, with much excitement and pride, announced last night that she has secured tickets for Covent Garden on Saturday - "Eugene Oneygyn" since you ask. So reluctantly I will drop out.
  • Right then, here is the route for Saturday:

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=166017

You can download it by going to the summary tab then sticking the .tcx file in your Garmin's courses folder. It'd be great if a few people with Garmins had it loaded up so we're not just reliant on one should it fail.

In case people are interested in skipping out at various points we'll be going near Worthing, Horsham and Dorking stations at about 60, 80 and 100 miles respectively. Apparently no engineering works to dirsrupt any of this so bailing out will be possible (though of course still shameful :wink: )

gbs - sorry you won't be able to make it. There is no compulsion to do the whole thing it'd be great to have you along - getting back from Worthing, for instance, looks very reasonable.
  • london-red
    Nice one Will.

Quick question, is bailing still shameful if one is nursing an injury? Surely not :lol:

Likewise, GBS - shame you can't make this one.
  • Dave - only shameful if you don't live up to Tyler Hamilton's standards - i.e. riding several Pyrennean cols with a broken collarbone :shock:
  • tyskie
    Looking forward to it and see you all on Saturday.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Dave - only shameful if you don't live up to Tyler Hamilton's standards - i.e. riding several Pyrennean cols with a broken collarbone :shock:

Looks like a very wet day according to the forecast. Hope you all brought your wellies.

I am staying out of this one this weekend, I have had 4 big weeks of riding and my body needs a rest before the heading over to France.

Enjoy and looking forward to the ride report Will.
  • RaGzMaN
    I didnt want to say it but yea, it looks a bit miserable.....
  • Yeah, not lloking good but wil probably go for it anyway myself. If it's horrible can always turn around somwhere near Dorking or get the train back