Neck ache

Gavin Cook
Gavin Cook Posts: 307
I am getting really bad pain in the center of my shoulders at the bottom of my neck on long rides. I did a 180 km ride yesterday and was in a lot of pain for half of the ride. Has anyone any info or advise on this ? I dont think it is down to my bike setup.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I beg to differ. I would guess from painful experience that the distance between saddle and bars is not right. I suffered the same from both over and under extension but since being measured and adjusting the bikes to the one I was measured for, no problem.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    I tend to agree with Wooliferkins - I'm suffering similar problems occasionally and I suspect that it's no coincedence that I'm currently trying out replacement saddles so am having to deal with varying saddle positions until I've got each one properly set up. Like saddle height, moving it a few mm backwards or forwards can have a significant effect so it's worth fiddling around.

One thing that helps me when I do get the pain you describe is to sink my chin into my chest for a few seconds until the pain dissipates. Also I have added shoulder stretching into my daily stretching programme at the recommendation of my chiropractor - basically that's just lifting my arm up, tilting my head away from the lifted arm and moving my arm until I feel the muscle going from my neck across my shoulder stretch. This also helps with neck and shoulder stiffness if I do it whilst I'm riding.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • Gavin Cook
    Gavin Cook Posts: 307
    Thanks Neil and Steve !!
    I dont suppose you know of any formula etc to find the correct measurment of the distance between saddle and bars ?

Gavin
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    There's no science to it I don't think Gavin, just trial and error in small incremental steps. In my case recently it's always been moving the saddle backwards, away from the bars, that has worked. On a couple of occasions I knew as soon as I rode the bike that it was the right position, which was a bit of an odd, inexplicable feeling of "correctness". I'd just try slipping it back 10 mm at a time, and if it's not right after doing that a couple of times (I can't imagine it being over an inch out) then try moving it forwards. Sorry there's no definitive answer. Saddles are a nightmare until you get them right - they even vary in height so when you're testing several you even have to adjust the height of the seatpost as well as the fore and aft of the seat. Suppose you can't expect design standards in something so personal.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • I have suffered from this an awful lot in the last 2 years. Very painful on sportives and long rides. Its an almost numb, cold feeling (probably due to not enough blood to that area IMO)

Having visited an Osteopath she suggested slleping on my back as much as possible. She also massaged and cracked the area. For me I have a straight back and so my neck takes all the weight of my head. This is made worse by hyperextending it for long periods I would say this has helped as well as the above mentioned adjusting of the bike setup.

This is just me, everone is different