OT - FAO Londoners...Restaurant Advice!

13»

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    notsoblue wrote:
    cee wrote:
    Don't worry, thursday is 'the' night to go out!

Really!

Any idea how come and for why?

Because most people who work in Zone 1 don't live there, and are most likely to go straight home to go out on a Friday.

Exactly. Thursday = beer night in the centre o'london. Friday it all clears out pretty quickly from about 7pm onwards.
  • lost_in_thought
    Well hh, I have followed your advice sand am currently sitting in sushi hiro waiting for my takeaway! Who'd have thought a decent sushi place would be 5 minutes pootle from my house?! Not somewhere I'd bring someone though, ambiance sucks!
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Couple of late ideas for you.

wild honey near hannover square on thursday evening - fantastic french cuisine

Then pop into Tamarind for lunch on friday before pearl jam. They do an excellent prix fixe lunch menu, both quantity and quality are excellent. There are quite often money off offers on toptable as well.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Well hh, I have followed your advice sand am currently sitting in sushi hiro waiting for my takeaway! Who'd have thought a decent sushi place would be 5 minutes pootle from my house?! Not somewhere I'd bring someone though, ambiance sucks!

I haven't actually been there in years as it's a fair trek from SE London but I used to go there fairly often with a Japanese friend who reckoned it was the best sushi in London. The interior,. if it hasn't changed, is very typical of a sushi joint you might find on any street in any city in Japan. Functional, clean and minimal - the food is the star, none of your fake Benihana style perfiormance rubbish.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Gilgamesh in Camden Market is hilarious, enormous eastern fusion place - the food is nice, the building is so over the top it's ridiculous, it's full of a lively crowd and you have the, er, delights of Camden available for your late night drinking pleasure

Anyone been to Sarastro? Haven't been in years but if I remember rightly it's another place with an amazing, over the top interior... http://www.sarastro-restaurant.com/
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Headhunter wrote:
    I haven't actually been there in years as it's a fair trek from SE London but I used to go there fairly often with a Japanese friend who reckoned it was the best sushi in London. The interior,. if it hasn't changed, is very typical of a sushi joint you might find on any street in any city in Japan. Functional, clean and minimal - the food is the star, none of your fake Benihana style perfiormance rubbish

Seconded - I've heard this from both from friends who've lived in Japan extensively and their Japanese friends. It's also (apparently) Heston Blumenthal's favourite restaurant in the whole of London.

Used to go quite a lot when I lived in Acton, but not so much since moving (all the way!) down to Chiswick - must make up for this and take the other half over there.

The best sushi anywhere in London - I also love watching them make it up close (if you sit at the counter) as they are so skilled. The eel is to die for and it's one of the few places where you can regularly get Uni (my absolute favourite).

Hmm - maybe this weekend?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

After going over the list last night, we plumped for Duhesa for dinner on thursday, and Sketch for afternoon tea on friday!

C
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • lost_in_thought
    cee wrote:

After going over the list last night, we plumped for Dehesa for dinner on thursday, and Sketch for afternoon tea on friday!

C

Hope you like it, and managed to reserve a low table! The high ones are fine, but I do prefer the low ones.

You HAVE to try the pork belly.

Oh and the sourdough toast... I don't know what they do to it, but I could live on that stuff.

Mmmmmmm dehesa.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Exactly. Thursday = beer night in the centre o'london. Friday it all clears out pretty quickly from about 7pm onwards.

Bah, Thursday night used to be the night to go out because everywhere was rammed on Friday night.

Guess we'll have to make it Wednesday night.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    cee wrote:

After going over the list last night, we plumped for Dehesa for dinner on thursday, and Sketch for afternoon tea on friday!

C

Hope you like it, and managed to reserve a low table! The high ones are fine, but I do prefer the low ones.

Oh and the sourdough toast... I don't know what they do to it, but I could live on that stuff.

Mmmmmmm dehesa.

cheers LIT. Unfortunately no low tables....they were booked out for parties of 3 and 4, so we got a high table instead.....

Pork Belly you say...sounds good.

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • lost_in_thought
    cee wrote:
    cee wrote:

C

Mmmmmmm dehesa.

cheers LIT. Unfortunately no low tables....they were booked out for parties of 3 and 4, so we got a high table instead.....

Pork Belly you say...sounds good.

:D

Ahhh no big deal. I'm sure you'll like it!

And it is! I always tend to cherry pick for round one of tapas, the done thing (it seems) is to order just a few at a time, and continue to do so until you can't move.

The high tables are good at that point, because you can just fall off the seat rather than having to stand up... :P
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Don't know if this has been mentioned yet. Some of the Germans and Austrians have raved about this place in the past and they should know I suppose.

Something a bit different...

http://www.tirolerhut.co.uk/home.html

EDIT: Oops! A bit late now :oops:
  • lost_in_thought
    Kurako wrote:
    Don't know if this has been mentioned yet. Some of the Germans and Austrians have raved about this place in the past and they should know I suppose.

Something a bit different...

http://www.tirolerhut.co.uk/home.html

EDIT: Oops! A bit late now :oops:

The Tiroler Hut is a blinding place, but you really need a big group to enjoy it in all its rowdy cowbell-ringing, stein-clashing, prost-shouting glory.

Also, the food is really just OK. It's the experience that people go there for.