OT - FAO Londoners...Restaurant Advice!

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Asprilla wrote:
    Of course, if it's your partner you are taking out then I really have to recommend that you take her up the OXO.

fnar. too similar to harvey nics in edinburgh!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    For perhaps the best and most authentic sushi (specifically sushi) experience in London try Sushi Hiro but it's all the way out in Ealing. So authentic that the staff barely speak English so may be best to brush up on your Japanese
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... ondon.html
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cee
    Headhuunter

I am getting the impression that you might be a vegetarian? :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    If you want something "different", there's a place called Archipelago that does some unusual forms of protein - weird meats, insects etc. Really good quality food though, not as gimmicky as it sounds.
  • cee
    MatHammond wrote:
    If you want something "different", there's a place called Archipelago that does some unusual forms of protein - weird meats, insects etc. Really good quality food though, not as gimmicky as it sounds.

have you ever been to scotland? all of our food is unusual protein, weird meats and insects!

Scotch Pie? Haggis? :D:D:wink:

H.G. Wells.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cee wrote:
    Headhuunter

I am getting the impression that you might be a vegetarian? :wink:

Nah - meat 'n' fish all the way!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Great thread :)

Mind if I hijack it slightly? :P Can anyone recommend anything good close to Paddington Station? Meeting up with a friend who is passing through and getting the train home from there. They're a big foodie, so something out of the ordinary would be a plus.

+1 to Edokko near Holborn btw.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Bikequin wrote:
    If you like steak and red wine then I can thoroughly recommend Gaucho, the one between Sloane Sq and South Ken isn't too far from Hyde Park.

Its Argentinean so that reasonably different.

http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/
    there are so many much better argentinian restaurants in london than gaucho. i cant link them at the moment as they are bookmarked on my home computer

In the £50 -£75 per head range? I think you'd be hard pushed to find much better.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • cee
    now we are getting there! see this is why i asked on here!

keep em coming....

I think coriander has the winner so far though...with either of the second 2

H.G. Wells.
  • Bikequin
    Round 2 then:

How about Russian food?

http://nikitasrestaurant.co.uk/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    Another budget buster/'lady impresser' is Galvin at Windows - 28th Floor of the London Hilton overlooking Hyde Park. Michelin Star food, cracking views over London.
    http://www.galvinatwindows.com/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you are looking for Michelin stars then Gavroche and Marcus Wareing at The Berkley are my favorites.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cee
    notsoblue wrote:
    Great thread :)

Mind if I hijack it slightly? :P Can anyone recommend anything good close to Paddington Station? Meeting up with a friend who is passing through and getting the train home from there. They're a big foodie, so something out of the ordinary would be a plus.

+1 to Edokko near Holborn btw.

also fits my requirement since paddington station is 5 minutes walk from lancaster gate.

H.G. Wells.
  • How about Brazilian ?

http://www.rodiziorico.com/

(if you like meat...)
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited June 2010
    Hi hi,

Nowt on HSK for late drinking, avoid the Kensington area altogether for that.

Head a bit east instead, soho, leicester square, lots of pubs with late opening.

I'd strongly recommend Dehesa - it's just off carnaby street, pub-tastic area for afters, and has fantastic spanish large portion tapas. Definitely a hidden gem, book now to avoid disappointment, and ask for a low table! I always do second dates there if I like the guy. EDIT: http://www.dehesa.co.uk/

I'd have to say avoid Hakkasan like the plague, I hate that place, pretentious, overpriced, snooty, people are there to be seen and the food's not brilliant.

If you really want to splash out, Umu on Bruton Place is probably the best japanese restaurant in London. It's not stupid like Nobu. Sumosan nearby is pretty damn good too. http://www.umurestaurant.com/noflash.htm http://www.sumosan.com/

Do you want a party atmosphere for your boozing? Or just somewhere to relax? Are you with the OH? Care for dancing girls?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    £150 for a tapas bar, just had a look, only in London.

It doesn't even look that special!!! :o

PS: La Dehesa seems to at least serve more elaborate food...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cee
    Do you want a party atmosphere for your boozing? Or just somewhere to relax? Are you with the OH? Care for dancing girls?

well....

yip... myself and "NotReallyMrsCeeHoweverTheConventionSeemsToBeToCallOurPartnersMrs<Username>EvenIfWeAreNotMarried" are in london for a couple of days to see Pearl Jam on Hyde Park on friday. So friday is all taken care of. We head back up here on saturday afternoon.

We arrive in the afternoon on thursday..Heathrow express to paddington, then walk round the corner to the Lancaster Gate Hotel. So i though it might be nice to go out for a nice meal, followed by a couple of nice drinkys on the thursday evening.

Won't really be boozing as such..more dinner and drinks...so relaxed more than party. Dancing girls? trollops breathing heavily at you ultimately ending in disappointment? Never been my thing. dont see the point. i can think of many more satisfying ways of throwing away money. like...burning it.

Got some really good suggestions now. Thanks again folks.

Keep 'em coming I guess!

oh...and what is HSK?

C

H.G. Wells.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Lemonia (Greek) near Primrose Hill/Chalk Farm is very good.
    Been with family, friends and OH and never disappoints. Should come in on budget too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cee wrote:
    oh...and what is HSK?

C

High Street Kensington.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lost_in_thought
    cee wrote:

well....

yip... myself and "NotReallyMrsCeeHoweverTheConventionSeemsToBeToCallOurPartnersMrs<Username>EvenIfWeAreNotMarried" are in london for a couple of days to see Pearl Jam on Hyde Park on friday. So friday is all taken care of. We head back up here on saturday afternoon.

We arrive in the afternoon on thursday..Heathrow express to paddington, then walk round the corner to the Lancaster Gate Hotel. So i though it might be nice to go out for a nice meal, followed by a couple of nice drinkys on the thursday evening.

Won't really be boozing as such..more dinner and drinks...so relaxed more than party. Dancing girls? trollops breathing heavily at you ultimately ending in disappointment? Never been my thing. dont see the point. i can think of many more satisfying ways of throwing away money. like...burning it.

Got some really good suggestions now. Thanks again folks.

Keep 'em coming I guess!

oh...and what is HSK?

C

Oh, I more meant like some fun burlesque clubs. Not strip joints.
  • cee
    Ah.

eh...not sure...never been...maybe....

what are the options...

getting excited now....can't wait...really enjoyed ourselves last year and staying at the royal lancaster is the best way to attend a (mini)music festival!

and ta for the clarification asprilla

H.G. Wells.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Another vote for Bodeans, without dount the best BBQ in the UK an likewise a must visit when I go to London village. Also can recommend Gaucho heartily too.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • lost_in_thought
    cee wrote:
    Ah.

eh...not sure...never been...maybe....

what are the options...

getting excited now....can't wait...really enjoyed ourselves last year and staying at the royal lancaster is the best way to attend a (mini)music festival!

and ta for the clarification asprilla

Don't worry, thursday is 'the' night to go out!

Madame JoJo's on Brewer Street, W1 is probably the best one - can be a really fun thing to do - it's all fun and not too risqué!
  • cee

Really!

Any idea how come and for why?

H.G. Wells.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cee wrote:

Really!

Any idea how come and for why?

Because most people who work in Zone 1 don't live there, and are most likely to go straight home to go out on a Friday.
  • Bikequin
    I always thought Thursdays were the new Friday because if you're going to have a hangover it might as well be whilst you're at work.
  • cee
    meaning....

its not as busy on a thursday? as it is on a friday? is that not just normal for every city in the world?

or that is is busy on a thursday?

Im confused.

H.G. Wells.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Especially in the City it's busier on a Thursday than a Friday
    <a>road</a>
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Asprilla wrote:
    Of course, if it's your partner you are taking out then I really have to recommend that you take her up the OXO.

wow, this anti profanity software really comes up with some odd alternatives.....

igmc