Ryedale Rumble spaces available.

bobh
bobh Posts: 163
[/b]
Due to a number of factors we had a late start to this year's launch of the Ryedale Rumble and so far the entry level has yet to catch up with normal expectation. We are currently 250 riders short of our break even figure. So if you are tempted by the choice of 3 routes of varying toughness, some absolutely stunning scenery across the North York Moors and to be fuelled by our star rated feed stations then now's the time to send your entry in!

Proceeds from the event are ploughed back into the sport at Regional level and in recent years this has enabled us to establish the White Rose Youth League. Within just a few years this has grown into a structure that currently sees upwards of 100 young riders enjoying weekly racing and coaching on closed roads.

We can just about handle a year with no surplus but a loss would drain our resources and severely limit our future plans. We have to make a decision as to whether we carry on and the latest date for that is the 5th July, so no time to spare.

Bob Howden
Organiser
Ryedale Rumble
www.ryedalerumble.co.uk

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I was planning to enter this week......................

If it doesn't go ahead I am assuming that you will make a decision on 5th July and communicate it quickly so I can sort something else out?
  • bobh
    We plan to email everyone with an update that week, hopefully it will be with good news.
  • hugo15
    I will get my entry in tonight and get my mate to do the same. Only another 248 to find :wink: .

It will be such a shame if it doesn't go ahead as it's beautiful cycling country.
  • hugo15
    Right that's my entry in.
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Why are the time standards not age related?
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I put mine in last week, but I didn't think there was any rush :shock: As it's only 60 miles away I do hope it goes ahead.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • jezzers1
    jezzers1 Posts: 20
    hi new to these rides just done the cyclone 104 in 7 hrs how does the 71 mile route compare hoping to get some serious training in and sign up cheers
  • bobh
    Steve GT

The time standards are Age Related!

Jezzers1
    The middle distance Rumble 2 buys you a shot at Boltby Bank and Blakey Bank, the latter is an exposed climb that lets you face the wind, the rain, the heat and the snow, although we might not get them all on the day...but you never can tell up there! If you can handle 104 miles in good time then the 111 mile Rumble 1 gives you the infamous Rosedale Chimney and Caper Hill, Glaisdale's hidden gem that was brought to us by the Sportive World's answer to Dr David Livingstone...Richyboy. Do them all and you'll have a ride that you'll remember
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    bobh wrote:
    Steve GT

The time standards are Age Related!

Doh, :roll: !! Only looked at the summary page....
    Apologies Bob!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • hugo15
    Jezzers 1 - I did the NR Cyclone in a similar time to you and I am going to do the medium route.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Bob,

Having taken part in the last two 100 mile + rumbles, I was looking forward to your ride, but unfortunately it also appears to have set it head to head against the Phil Liggett CTC Challenge Ride.

Why where these two excellent climbing events (based in Yorkshire) arranged on the same day this year?

It is my intention to enter again next year if these two events do not clash again.

Sorry I am gutted that I could not do both! :evil:
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I live within sight of the start, but it always seems to run during school summer holidays when we're away.

Great cycling routes though, and well worthwhile if you can make it.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • bobh
    Hi Stedman

I can't really comment on the clash. The Rumble is on the same weekend as last year. As we use the Campus of Ampleforth College we are limited to holding it in School Holidays and the date was announced very early. It looks like the Phil & Friends has decided to move back into August...indeed a shame.
  • jezzers1
    jezzers1 Posts: 20
    hi, hugo was thinking of the 71mile route lol not ready for rosedale chimney as yet, awaiting a new bike on btw scheme, struggled with some hills on cyclone route,on my second hand 200 quid carrera lol,but time for some serious traing methinks cheers
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Bob,

I shall be the first to be mortified if this sportive fails simply because of the unfortunate clash between this and the Phil and Friends event this year.

As I wish to enter both events next year could British Cycling and CTC possibly negotiate this?

:idea:
  • bobh
    Take your point Stedman

With so many events around now there will inevitably be clashes. In Yorkshire we try to work around the CTC York Rally and the Ron Kitching Ride which are more or less on standard dates,as well as the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride that this year fell the day before the Ryedale Grand Prix Premier Calendar Race on parts of the same circuit that we use for that. We worked around that one together and delayed our own signage. To avoid the Rumble clashing with these events we moved it from its June date after its first year and it has since been held on the same Sunday in August. Unfortunately there isn't really an effective method of negotiating dates with other organisers and the usual method is to put your marker down as soon as possible, this we tend to do in January. This isn't anyones fault it's just an unfortunate coincidence.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i still hope to enter but won't be unless one of my mates does.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    i still hope to enter but won't be unless one of my mates does.

light weight!, get out on your own and enjoy the ride, need someone to hold your hand?..grow a pair and man up! :D
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • hugo15
    Any update Bob?
  • bobh
    At the moment it's on, we need around 80 more entries to be at the point where we lose as much running it as we do in cancelling. Not very encouraging from our point of view but we are mindful that people have made accommodation plans and therefore that's the fall back option. We had hoped to make the decision last week but tragically we've been side-tracked by the sudden death of one of our Youth Stars Lewis Barry and at times like this it's hard to asked people to get together focus on a decision about the Ryedale Rumble.

You may have heard that our sister event the White Rose Classic has been pulled, the organisers Kudu Bikes have had similar problems with entry levels. If you've missed out on that one then take advantage of the Rumble. This is very much a "use it or lose it" call. Organisers for niche events such as this don't make a killing and as you can see can stand to lose much. What we lose on this event will mean less that we have to spend on developing our young talented bike riders.

Our meeting has been re-scheduled for next week, we need to be nearer our target by then to definitely say it's on. So get your entries in, should the worst happen then all money will be refunded.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Not that it's much help, because I can't do it this year, but it would be a real shame if this event died on the vine. When I did it a coupel of years ago it was really well organised and had some smashing food stops too.

The now-crowded UK sportive market is clearly throwing up some winners and losers, but the RR doesn't deserve to be in the latter category.
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Hoping very much to do this ride Bob,really enjoyed the challenge last year and want to improve on time this year, unfortunately got some on-going issues to to be sorted so won't know for certain til tues next week, hopefully positive news will mean you only need another 78 entrants :D
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I'll get my entry in - come on everyone!
  • I've entered the middle ride, a suggestion would be for the organiser to update the entry list, anyone looking to enter the event through the Ryedale Rumble website and looking at the entry list will see very few riders booked in, this might put off a few people. One of the main draws of a sportive for myself is getting the chance to ride with a lot of other riders.
    Hills, love them, especially the ones that point downwards.
  • bobh
    The next web update is due next week
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I am going to enter this, I'm going to aim for under 6 hours 50mins.

How much does it cost tho? I've looked on the entry site and can't find a price.
  • bobh
    Follow the link to the entry form the price of £26 is on there.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    £26????

Forgive me I'm a student it'll have to draw up some excel spreadsheets to calculate if I can afford it.

What do I get for £26?

Thanks.
  • bobh
    Fully marked routes
    SIS gel and drink
    Quality feed stations that include sandwiches, home made cakes, fresh fruit etc
    Tee shirt
    Pre-ride meal
    Post-ride meal
    Some of the best scenery to be found anywhere
    A few of the hardest climbs that fit the same bill
    The Merry wit and banter of the BC Yorkshire Team

What more could you want?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    You get one of the better sportives on the market !
    Some sportives are charging rip-off prices, but this one's pretty good.

Not entered yet, I do want to do it but I'm currently trying to sweettalk Mrs wrx into us having the weekend away.

Rather than her wave goodbye to me at the start and kick her heels for the rest of the day waiting for me to arrive back in a zombie-like state hours later, I've suggested she do the short route as I do the big one and we'll see who's back first, but she's not biting yet...