How many bikes?

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited June 2010 in MTB general
How many bikes have people got?

I currently have 4, a Giant 2010 Anthem X custom, a Santa Cruz Blur LT2, a 97 GT Zaskar and and Felt F3 SL road bike.

Recently i have been looking at them all and by far and away the MTB i ride the most is the Blur LT2. I can ride it and not worry about it, its a AM spec build really and i dont worry about it and where i ride it. Put me on the giant and i ride like a nancy, its fast and everything i wanted from it but i just worry about putting dents in it and having a big off on it. I like the anthem but it just feels to fragile for where and how i ride.

I have been thinking should i just chop them both in and build myself a Blur LTc therefor having the best of both worlds, AM strength and a lighter build than the LT2....

One other factor is despite riding and testing a LT2 i wish i had gone for a Large and not a Medium. It just feels a little cramped at times but its only something i have noticed with more saddle time.

How many bikes have others got on here?

Comments

• W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    See you have an obession with bikes like you have / did with cars eh !!
    :)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i have 1 :cry::lol:
    it's a kinesis pha5e. built as a all rounder. i have been doing everthing on it. check it ot in my sig. will be getting a new front wheel and either revelation or lyriks quite soon.

will have 2(will be kind of my brother's though) probably by the end of this year. that will be a 06 kona kula which the frame, brakes and forks have been kindely given to my by raymondavalon.

then in less than 2 years i want a freeride/dowhill bike. i want a scott voltage fr30 to build up with shimano saint bits, mavic ex721 on hope, white bits, totem forks, fox rc4 shock etc. and also might get a used set of rs boxxers to use for DH as it's such a versatile bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Theoretically 3, but only one at the moment fully functioning.

Two zaskars, and a Ruckus.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I've got 2 and 3/4. My Carrera Fury, a Raleigh Firefly (my "commute" bike, and the one I fart around with on the skate park), and a blue Universal hardtail my dad found abandoned which is missing a seat and the deraillers are pretty mashed.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Kind of two, one is complete, i also have all the parts for a complete bike, i just need to change the pivot bearings and build it up, i also have plans for a third very soon.

My complete bike is my mongoose street/park bike, nice little bike, a lot of fun

My bike in bits is my commie meta 5, hopefully will be complete by next week, touch wood.

My bike that i'm planning will be a hardtail made of all my spare parts, i'm thinking an on one 456
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Erm...

Where do i start?

No 1 - my Pace RC200. Sublime. Bought new in 1991. Still rides great
    No 2 - Raleigh 501 hack bike
    No 3 - Cannondale ST 600 tourer
    No 4 - Trek 5500 (time trial carbon / titanium wonder)
    No 5 - Dawes Kickback 2 MTB tandem (is this 1 or 2 bikes?!)
    No 6 - Trek 5900 summer bike with bling and weight-weeniness all over
    No 7 - Brompton S2-LX
    No 8 - Specialized Langster fixed wheel commuter
    No 9 - Specialized Tricross
    No 10 - Giant OCR (will be sold soon; surplus to requirements)
    No 11 - Trek 1400 road bike (currently in bits - to be sold soon)

That's just MY complete bikes. Also a few road frames etc. And I've recently sold a fair bit.
    The family stable includes
    Mrs XPS Trek MTB
    XPSlet #1 bike
    XPSlet # 2 bike
    XPSlet # 3 bike
    XPSlet #4 balance bike
    and a "spare" 12 yr old bike that #1 has yet to grow into.
    And a Burley trailer.

I wonder why the garage is fit to burst?
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmmm

i have N bikes.

when N+1 is the ideal number of bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    I have 1 bike (see sig).
    Just gave an old Specialized Stumpjumper away to a friend to make into a SS.

Looking to get a more trail orientated bike in the next few months (Santa Cruz Nickel) will then decide if I have 2 bikes or sell my GT.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i have 2 and a half at the moment.

i have my felt compulsion 2, i have an argos custom build road bike (technically my brother in laws but it's been in my shed for the last year and he hasn't ridden it so i have :D ) and i have a half built specialized hardrock, just waiting for my new forks, shifters and pedals and it'll be a whole hardrock :D
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    I'm pretty sure this has been done but.... anyway...

4 + Mates bike on loan untill he recovers from a motorbike crash injurys.

All in Sig...
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    #1 - on one 456 summerseason
    #2 - scott scale (alu) singlespeed
    #3 - 1998 kona cindercone (some bits missing)
    #4 - kawasaki zx636r (b1h if you need more info than that)
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Just 3 at the moment.

A Revell 450R hardtail, my hooligan bike. Single speed, built up with heavy bits and to go on a diet soon.
    A Specialized Langster. My single speed commute and flab fighting bike. Proper rapid machine.
    A GT Power Series 24" wheel BMX. Light, fast and very bling. As it's a BMX it also has no gears.

I'm starting to notice a patten with this no gears thing here :P
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Just the 1 for me.

And it'll be staying that way for the forseeable future.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    just one atm a maxlight xc120 with bright red dt wheels :D best hardtail ive ever ridden. getting an ibis mojo later in the year and dependant on funds it will be super bling or just bling :lol:

ive got a fair few spares in the garage too, a set of wheels god knows how many tyres, a few brakes, so maybe ill build a cheap rigid ss hardtail and run it with a single magura louise brake, basically an off road fixie, without the fixie bit, could be interesting on the commute or round cannock :lol:
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I've got 5.

Salsa Bandito rigid hardtail, loads of WCS carbon 17lbs.
    Rocky Mountain Element 50, 100mm each end.
    Custom BMX, Take frame, Profile wheels
    Marin rigid commute mtb SS, circa 93, Surly SS wheels 44/18 magic ratio
    Diamond Back Ascent limited edition, circa 91 with Judy XC

Also in the process of building a 97 Kona Cinder Cone to off road SS spec.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    3 for me:

1. Marin IFT - very light, very fast, can handle most of the XC riding I do. Great for ripping through singletrack as long as there isn't too big of a jump/drop involved.

2. Marin Wolfridge - AM bike, can take more than the 140mm of travel would suggest, great for trail centres and thrashing down the local woods, can also climb back up again (though I do notice the extra weight over the IFT (over 10lbs more!).

3. 1998 Marin bobcat trail- old, hideous off road, but perfect for my commute everyday.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    1 but hopefully another coming soon.
    Got a Giant Rainier and should be taking delivery of a Giant Trance 4 in the next 2 months
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • sarkmeister
    sarkmeister Posts: 142
    I just got the 3:

Orange Crush 2010 upgraded a bit

Trek 1.5c road bike for getting to work and back on

"Pub bike" for nipping to the pub/town on and not caring if it gets nicked. I think its originally a "Triton Firejet"
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    2. Well, 3 if you include the commuter. 4 if you include the retro commuter project. 5 if you include the old carrera that in theory I could make into a complete bike right now, if it wasn't for the fact it wouldn't be very good. But there's only really 2 that count.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    5 and a half :shock: I swear they must breed, as they just keep appearing...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    5, plus another on the way...
  • i have 2. a 97 robinson bmx and an 08 norco storm which i am currently trying to convert from a little sissy bike to something a bit burlier
  • far too many.... <cough> 16
  • thehairs1970
    thehairs1970 Posts: 142
    Realistically two - Orange P7 and Boardman Comp road bike.

BUT I've leant my bro in law an old Puch Super Prima 12 road bike and my father in law has my old Diamond Back Full susser on perma loan.

Martyn
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    5:-
    Rock Lobster 853
    Mongoose Tyax - 'winterised'
    Ribble roadie.
    Commencal BMX (only ridden in the company of my 9 year old son at the BMX track)
    No brand hybrid with full mudguards and panniers - commuting and shopping.

The currently coveted +1 would be a CX bike, to see how fast I could cover my XC loops.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    2 stumpjumpers, a giant rainier, an allez roadie and an enduro sl.

im also considering chopping 3 bikes in to buy one gucci bike but i wont get the moeny i have spent, someone will end up with a bargain so i am being stubborn and keping all of them even though i only ride one of them these days.
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    I have two at the moment

456 Singlespeed with front sus and an Inbred rigid commutor/road/dry off-ish

Building up a 'hack' bike while collecting bits.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272

First, a Diamondback Eastwood which is my commuter,
    Second, a Giant Talon 0 which is my fun/weekend bike
    Third a BMX which was given to me by some mates for my 21st.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Marin quake 3.0
    Kona dudu 2001
    Kona Fire Mountain - 1997
    Kona Coiler deelux - 2004
    Kona Hoss 2006?
    Kona Fire Mountain 1990
    Kona A'ha (stars and bars paintjob) 1997?
    Marin B17 (hardtail).
    On-one Pompino
    Cinder Cone 1990
    Specialized Allez 1998? (frame cracked)
    Kona Hot - 1996
    Specialized P1 - 2006
    Specialized Enduro - 2006
    24 Seven Dark Angel DH
    Create (singlespeed)
    Cotic Road-Rat

....and (at the moment) NO car!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Only 2

2006 Spesh Endruo Expert, far from OE, bit ratty looking now, but it's sweet mechanically.

2009 Cove Shocker DH, just wish I had more oppotunities to ride it, love this bike.

Did have a Stiffee frame until recently, bit of a still-born project.

I do fancy a 4" FS hardcore frame, something like a Spesh SX or mini DH bike, but I'm broke at the moment, certainly no new bikes this year.... :cry: