Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    The tip offs from Freis and Floyd might benefit the race this summer
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Dave_1 wrote:
    The tip offs from Freis and Floyd might benefit the race this summer

Its also possible that Pellizotti's bio passport problem could cause some people to alter their preparation.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Going purely on ability, I really think Menchov would be right up there on GC. On his day, he's genuinely world class in the mountains and that TT from the giro last year was breathtaking.

Will be interesting to see how much help he gets from Gesink. You get the impression Rabobank would rather he led the team, but surely there's time for that later with Gesink being so young.

The problem with Menchov is you always get the feeling disaster is just around the corner - normally in the form of some ridiculous fall! But if he can hold it together and if his illness/injuries haven't disrupted preparations too much, he should have a stormer.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kreuziger is not concerned about sharing leadership of the team with Basso. In fact, the young Czech feels that it will be an advantage for the two racers and the team.

"I see it as an advantage for us to race together. We have a good relationship, and we get along on the road. We can help each other a lot. Ivan is very consistent, and we can work together at key moments and share attacks. This year we have a goal: attack. We don't just want to follow wheels."

Great.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    “I want to the win the Tour”.

“I feel the Tour in my heart. It seems like a cliché, I know, but it’s actually not like that, because my career began at the Tour”, the Varese-born rider said. “I can win the Tour with the desire and hunger for victory, and with the help of a team like the one that you saw at the Giro d’Italia.”

“[Contador] is the best, he has already won all the stage races that count, the Giro, Vuelta and Tour. He’s very strong on the climbs, very strong in the time-trials. A champion like him is only born every fifty years, but that doesn’t mean that he’s unbeatable…”

Basso

Would be very pleased to see him get second with a great performance.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Kreuziger is not concerned about sharing leadership of the team with Basso. In fact, the young Czech feels that it will be an advantage for the two racers and the team.

"I see it as an advantage for us to race together. We have a good relationship, and we get along on the road. We can help each other a lot. Ivan is very consistent, and we can work together at key moments and share attacks. This year we have a goal: attack. We don't just want to follow wheels."

Great.

Would love to see Kreuziger do well. Have a lot of friends from CZ and think Kreuziger is a great rider
  • frenchfighter
    schl.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    In the press I dont quite understand how Basso who rode away from Evans in the mountain stages of the Giro is seemingly dismissed as an outsider, yet the Aussie muppet who looks like he is fighting the bike on every climb is considered a big time favourite.

Basso would have had a much bigger advantage over Evans on a conventional route such as the tour, as unlike the giro it does not have the bizarre stages, like that off road section on the strada bianchi, this year, in which Evans excels.

...I'm not saying Basso will win, but evans certainly won't!
  • cooper.michael1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Anyone rooting for Basso? He's the most transparent at the moment, not been race dodging/test dodging and it's all online. Even though he ain't man enough to give up his 06 Giro a la Millar 04, I hope he does a great tour

For certain, i'd love to see Ivan win. I think it is important to put the past behind us, and it would enhance the credibility of the sport for someone to come back clean and win the tour.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    In the press I dont quite understand how Basso who rode away from Evans in the mountain stages of the Giro is seemingly dismissed as an outsider, yet the Aussie muppet who looks like he is fighting the bike on every climb is considered a big time favourite.

An interesting observation and thinking about watching Evans, in the past, I'm inclined to agree with you.
    However, If you really want to see someone fighting a bike on a big climb, I can assure you none fight the bike better than myself. I'm a completely pathetic climber. I challenge anyone to climb worse than myself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Basso would have had a much bigger advantage over Evans on a conventional route such as the tour, as unlike the giro it does not have the bizarre stages, like that off road section on the strada bianchi, this year, in which Evans excels.

...I'm not saying Basso will win, but evans certainly won't!

The big climbs in this years Giro are harder and steeper than the ones in the Tour and don't suit Evans one little bit. They're much more Basso's type of thing. Plus in the Tour Basso's team won't be able to control the pace the same extent.

I don't think anyone's dismissing Basso though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cooper.michael1
    In an interview with FSA both Basso and Nibali said they used compact chainsets on the giro climbs so they could maintain a good cadence. Nabali specifically outlined that Evans made a mistake going for a 39t inner ring.

Sure the climbs are not as steep in the tour, but I cant see Evans dropping Basso on them, nor Contador. I suspect he'll be two minutes down the mountain with Lance, and Wiggins.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Why is Basso not an outright favourite?

Because he'll be knackered from digging deep to win the Giro.

He'll feel it in week 3 and week 3 matters most.